Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project XWP-4

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 04:57 Edited at: 29th Aug 2004 23:20
i am working on this game with x-trade (you'll see him on llrgt more than here) and our game has recently gone through a lot of work and i consider it worthy of a thread now, i have added one enemy which has a.i. , a helicopter (animated):

the helicopter can be destroyed with the rocket weapon (if you get a lucky shot, doesn't always collide) and it respawns.

so far this game has:
weapons:
-flamethrower (wep1)
-plasmathrower (wep2)
-rockets (wep5)
-dual machineguns (wep6)
-dual lasers (wep7)
-large cannon/sniper type weapon with zoom but makes a lot of noise (wep8)
(3 and 4 are effects that are just there for testing, LMB to fire,RMB to change weapon, middle to zoom with wep8)

effects:
-particle engine with fire, smoke, plasma, explosions
-muzzle flash on machinegun
-lens flare
-active hud reticles (the 3 white X s)
-projected laser sight with distance readout (values are x10 actual code units for any dbp user)
-decal system (i.e. bullet marks/burn marks)

movement:
-forwards, backwards, turn left/right with arrows
-independant upper torso movement with mouse
-jumpjets with spacebar
-helicopter with movement ai

models:
-the helecopter (animated)
-the level (but we can't sell the game with this one)
-the mech (animated legs)

sounds:
-laser
-machinegun
-sniper thing

i'm uploading a demo which i'll post the link to soon

please let me know what you think, crit, sugesgions, things to improve on etc.

demo:http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/XWP-4.rar (4.14mb, i love .rar lol)

the ai still has a few collision bugs but i can iron them out later when i apply ng's collision to it.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 05:24
Aside from the FPS, it looks quite nice. I'll have to play the demo, though.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 05:34
also forgot to mention, hold spacebar to skip the intro

AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 05:40
Woah, cool screens!

Downloading now...

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 05:51
I like it. All of the weapon effects were very nice, although I couldn't figure out what all of them did. And I was unable to destroy the helecopter, but that probably hasn't been coded yet.

How did you accomplish the laser effect? That was very interesting.

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 06:36
Nice mech type game, couple things i don't like is the main rectile is a bit small the three x leading up the rectile look cool but there huge compared to the rectile itself and often they got in the way of seeing where i was trying to shoot. Another thing is controling the bottom of the mech with arrow keys and the top with the mouse can be a bit confusing, might want to consider a option of allowing the bottom half controled with keys and a option where the bottom half rotates along with mousex, and the top half of the mech can be rotated extreamly fast with the mouse but your left holding down the button and often waiting for the bottom half of your character to rotate around cause it rotates extreamly slow. But your guys are off to a great start and it has alot of potentioal to being a really fun and good game. My fps was 30 i tried putting in numbers ranging from 50 to 100 the sync option but it always ran at a constant 30 fps even in both resolutions, but again really nice work i espcially like the particle effects on the weapons and the chopper model is excellent.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:29 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 09:44
thanks for the good coments so far, the helicopter can be destroyed but only by the rocket but there is a lot of the rocket/heli collision that needs tweeking

30fps is extremely good and the game probably ran very fast as it was programmed running at about 10fps

you can thank darkcoder for the heli, he said x-trade could use it a while ago but i'm going to confirm we can still use it, if you see this darkcoder can we use it please?

we have been experimenting with different controls but i they will be customizable eventually anyway.

you want to know how the lasers were done? trade secret lol (j/k) i'll post the code here another day

keep the comments comming updates will be poted here also.

3ddd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 11:38
First off, I really like the look and feel of this demo, especially the various weapons. So far, it is awesome! I don't know what aspects are more final than others, but here's my 2-cents anyway
Consider working on the usability of the game. The points I recommend focusing are include the controls, view of the player's character (camera issues), and the aiming reticle.

Controls - The main issue I experienced here was difficulty moving the mech where I wanted it to go. I couldn't easly tell if I was turning or not. In addition, I found it difficult to tell which arrow key I needed to press to move forward (up arrow or down arrow) at various times.

Camera - I often could not see my feet. This was a problem because it made it difficult to tell what keys I needed to press to move the mech how I wanted to (this is related to the controls issue). Jumping sometimes sends the mech off camera which is a problem because you cannot see where you are going to land or what is happening.

Aiming reticle - I like the feel of it, but I found the implementation very hard to work with. I felt like the challenge in shooting the helicopter was in battling with the controls to get the reticle where I wanted it rather than using my own skills/ability to aim at or lead off the target. Especially for distant targets, I felt the 3 reticles were more confusing than helpful. In addition, it was hard to tell which reticle was in the front, middle, and back when they overlapped.

Again, this is just my opinion and I only give it because I think this game could be great! I really like it and hope to see it completed. I think getting user feedback is the way to go for making complicated games fun and playable. BTW, you may want to check out these ref's http://www.microsoft.com/playtest/publications.htm I did a year stint with the usability group at MGS.

He's evil, but, he'll die. I like it.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 12:23
hey since when did i say you can use that heli, well go ahead

the shooting looks nice, ill d/l it in the morning 3:21 ere :-o i need my ration of sleep

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 00:32
thank you very much darkcoder the model is excelent btw

a new version will be online soon with altered controls and better enemy collision, all weapons will be able to destroy it

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 01:46
actually i made the heli in 10 mins i can do a better one if you want

ok i played it, couldent destroy the darn thing :-P, i liked the effects of the weapons the explosion one after the blue fire made my pc crawl tho, make the heli shoot at you or something

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 06:14
I like the mech, but I think it would be a good idea to have the leg ball joints connect into domes instead of a box, it would look nicer and it wouldn't require you to animate the domes.

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 09:22
hey!
incase you were wandering, i'm the other guy on this project.

there is some info as to the storyline on [href]www.aofp.tk[/href] so have a look there if you like

i am quite pleased with the project and i like to see new ideas bought to us. i'm definately going to look into makeing the gameplay both more realistic and chalenging, while making the mech itself easier to control

www.AoFP.tk
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 01:36
Hey I wanted to try that new laser for ages.

Anyway I'll finish up with the site soon enough. Good luck with the coding!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:00
nice game! just needs to be improved in a couple of areas before it can be a whole lot better

suggestions-
it ran kinda slow...i suggest making everything run time based instead of Frames per second based

(if you don't know how to do that then i'll help you...)

move the legs in relation to the upper body(I.E. the upper body is facing forward...the lower body is facing backward...you press the forward key and the lower body turns to face the same direction as the upper body...and then moves forward)

it almost seemed as if you aren't using the sync command because in the begining the matrix(or whatever it is) wasn't textured for awhile...so use the sync command or don't show the user the level untill it's all complete...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 08:51 Edited at: 27th Aug 2004 08:56
peter h sorry but the level is suposed to be wireframe at the start, it represents the hud system loading as you see it rise from a flat matrix to a full 3d representation, then your hud renders it, sorry to confuse you and there were other intro effects that have been taked out to reduce testing time which is why you start falling.

updates:

better turning, the top cannot turn as far in relation to the mech, when you turn the legs the top also turns (it used to but you may not have noticed)
i added a tild and turn indicator for pitch and torso angle relative to legs

improved ai

weapons "should" all damage heli now but ng seems to be ignoring it's existance and yes is is all declared etc. but that needs fixing

i increased the mech movement and turning speeds and i will work on timer basing it but the particles will make that harder.

Quote: "move the legs in relation to the upper body(I.E. the upper body is facing forward...the lower body is facing backward...you press the forward key and the lower body turns to face the same direction as the upper body...and then moves forward)"

this largely defeats the reason for independant turning, it is designed so you can keep going in the direction you wanted but still be able to shoot things around you.

such as is used in mechwarrior's circle of death where you circle the enemy but remain facing them

new demo will be done soon, as will new screenshots

edit:
the laser effect was achieved using 2 plains in a + shape for the beam and similar but with a base also for the > at the front of the >-----, all code used for the laser will be posted when i have time ti tidy it up and comment it properly

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 08:54
Quote: "this largely defeats the reason for independant turning, it is designed so you can keep going in the direction you wanted but still be able to shoot things around you."

exactly!how i just described is how mech warrior works!

you keep facing the enemy with the camera but just push to the right with the legs and you will circle him!

your system right now is NOT like mechwarrior...maybe you should play the game again and watch closely

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:00
which mechwarrior do you play and how do you have the controls configured peter_h? i'm talking about mw4 veng/mercs with mouse controling torso and arrows legs

use the arrows to keep in a circle but the legs/torso do not align when you move they stay relatively the same angle unles you press spacebar (i think it's spacebar) which aligns them but i will try it to make sure i am right about all i just said

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:15
well i've played about 3 versions(not sure the names) and all of them did it the way i just described...they move relative to the camera...(no changed controls)

this allows for easy circle strafing...all you have to do is correct the camera (very easy to do with the mouse) instead of the legs...
you don't have to look at your legs at all! you just look at the current view and think "i want to strafe left" so you hold down the left key...

i haven't played that version of mech warrior...but it seems like a very ineffecient way...

if you want to do it your way then go ahead...i just think it would be alot funner/playable with the way i suggested...

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 23:06 Edited at: 29th Aug 2004 23:19
Peter_H: you can stop worrying about the controls because they will be customisable and they are already better than they were,
i had missundrstood what you meant before about the mw controls and remembered what they used to be like before i changed them, mouse turns legs keys turn torso is what you mean yes?
this will be an option for the controls and beta testers will decide on the defalt by majority vote, just remembr you wont always be fighting on the ground, there will be some space combat involved.

p.s. some of the confusion may also have been caused by me using the new controls instead of the older version which is available to download so what i think happens in the game may not be happening for you

AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 09:15
I cant play the demo. I get a can't load bitmap at line 5. Do I have to install it to a predetermined location or something??

Take care
AtomR
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 03:00
very odd, you sure you're trying to run the right exe?

please make sure the files are all extracted to their folders and that the exe is titled XWP-4.exe
the reason i am unsure that you are running the right exe is our line 5 reads:

and no images are loaded until line 274, we never use "load bitmap", always "load image"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:43