Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What do you want from a browser?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:18
I'm about to begin coding a browser as I know a lot of people want to get away from IE to gain better features and/or better security. What would you most like to see in a browser to make it appealing enough for you to switch from IE (or your current browser) to a new one?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:24
well, i believe the browser market's covered... but a dbp dll with browser parsing functions, that would rock

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:35
Lol what is it? 90% of the world uses IE? (Just made that up, don't complain if its wrong) it's mainly to give me something to do, besides a decent free browser with features people actually wan't can't be a bad thing can it?

And the DLL wouldn't work I'm using PureBasic.

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:47
well if it were decent and not resource hogging, I'd use it^_^

Make a stock browser with an easy way to add addons, then go looking for features

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 08:48
There are already four browsers I know of that beat the crap out of IE and I'm afraid none of them could be beat in DBP. Firefox is the best, and damn, it's good... fast, low memory usage, tabbed browsing, theme changing, modular plugin system, favorites bar, dynamic image rescaling, etc etc etc...

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I know.
Sucks that I can't use firefox since I upgraded to 0.9!
It just stays in my RAM and doesn't do anything.
Anyone know how to fix this?

-Ilya
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:02
I'm not going to use DBP Mouse! Lol!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:25
Oh okay

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:39
lol, i meant so we could have a game that could link to a webpage, and dbp would parse it and display it with the help of the dlls..

Good for multiplayer games, updates, you name it.

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:51
I want me in a browser.. er.. wrong topic

Yeah Mozilla Firefox. No one would use your browser honestly. Do what they suggested and have an html rendering engine, that would indeedly rock.

Dark Basic Professional
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 15:19
Quote: "What do you want from a browser?"

The Internet.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 15:31
@ Ilya
did you delete you old firefox folder. it has problems if you don't do that.

http://cavesoft.no-ip.com<br>
Most reason version of my site http://dev-cavesoft.no-ip.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 15:45
The Internet, ¹to work as it was intended.

Although I have Mozilla FireFox, iBrowse (Safari) and Opera as well as Internet Explorer.
Reasons I stick with Explorer for general browsing is simple.

Speed, Memory and Correct Display of CSS & Java.

I know alot of people will be like,
- Speed ... Mozilla/Opera might display things as and when they're loaded, but page displaying for say a full page of this forum will take between 4-10seconds depending on the image content.
Explorer on standard setup would display the entire page in 3seconds and with Image placeholders will do it in <1second.
On a 64bit Machine everything is close to instant.

- Memory ... Explorer is the smallest footprint from the get go (6MB) and it will grow until it can't handle any more. When this happens you close the browser and your footprint is erased.
All other browsers remain in the memory when you close them until your reboot, this is because they take so damn long to boot up.
So when FireFox for example reaches it's maximum, you have to reboot the system else it steals all of your menus.
I've yet to figure out why it does this, but the fact remains that it does.

The last point doesn't need explaining even slightly...
Run this forum in FireFox and run it in Explorer, the differences are painfully obvious.

Personally I'd say if your going to make your own, get the Mozilla source... laugh for about 20-30mins about all the little //hack remarks and rebuild from the ground up correctly!

Something I would recommend in this endeavour is to download wxWidget. It is the only 100% independant Windowing API that I know of.
It is simple to understand, and it doesn't have any runtime libraries because what it does is use what the current system has.

This means it runs natively, not through a runtime library.
Provides less bugs and incompatibility.

zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 17:18
hmm 6 mb you say, is that counting all the other crap it use's dll and other stuff that gets loaded when you boot your computer. and you say it display's stuff correctly. well for me it's the other way around. ie displays xhtml like crap. and i use firefox on here and everything is displayed right execpt for this font issue i am having. but thats besides the point.

http://cavesoft.no-ip.com
WIP Version of my site. Usally it is offline.
http://dev-cavesoft.no-ip.com
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 18:20
Quote: "- Speed ... Mozilla/Opera might display things as and when they're loaded, but page displaying for say a full page of this forum will take between 4-10seconds depending on the image content.
Explorer on standard setup would display the entire page in 3seconds and with Image placeholders will do it in <1second."

Something must be wrong with your setup, Mozilla can render a forum page here in less than a second.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 18:27 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 18:35
Quote: "Reasons I stick with Explorer for general browsing is simple.
Speed, Memory and Correct Display of CSS & Java."

IE displays CSS correctly? And the Sun Java RTs have problems with Java? Good jokes actually.

Quote: "The last point doesn't need explaining even slightly...
Run this forum in FireFox and run it in Explorer, the differences are painfully obvious."

Well, yeah, since the author of this forum uses Firefox...

Quote: "Personally I'd say if your going to make your own, get the Mozilla source... laugh for about 20-30mins about all the little //hack remarks and rebuild from the ground up correctly!"

Sure. At least now we know that you haven't the source.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 19:22
What do I want from a browser?

Simplicity.

Clean UI that doesn't try and be 'unique' - something that fits in with windows.

Large viewing area. Possible only a toolbar, address bar and favourites.

I don't want it to take over my email, msn, news feed and remind me when to brush my teeth.

I'd like it to be compatible with most of the sites out there.

I have internet explorer and I'm very happy

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "did you delete you old firefox folder. it has problems if you don't do that."

I think I acedently installed it multipe times(maybe because it didn't work the first time).
The previous directory was deleted(and I uninstalled it).

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 23:07 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 23:07
I recently switched to firefox, I used IE before but I stopped using it because some hidden program on my pc kept changing the home page

I like firefox because its simple..and also the fact that IE on my pc is in french and firefox isnt..

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 23:56
Firefox is fast, has a lot of good extensions, and tabbed browsing is teh c00l3st. Do something like it, but even FASTER, and I'll buy you a beer.

[center]
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 00:31
Raven, your signiture image is obnoxiously large, even bigger than Manticore Night's was. Please shrink it.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 05:32
What I want in a browser:

It not being IE

That's pretty much it.

Although, on a more helpful note, speed and efficiency are pretty important as is security. The ability to work on every version of Windows > 95 is also quite helpful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:46:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:46:01