Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dirty Sanchez, Jackass and similar forms of 'entertainment'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:25
Hey all,
T.V. it's a wonderful thing, but does it go too far? Incase you didn't know Dirty Sanchez is the English version of Jackass, and it's these sort of programmes that I'm talking about.

What is it about this perticular form of t.v. that people find entertaining, and do you have to be a perticular kind of person to find it entertaining at all.

I wouldn't really like to stand by and watch someone get hit by a car, or repeatedly hit themselves with inanimate(spelling) objects, so why do I watch it on t.v.

Now there is a limit to my 'endurance' I physically(spelling) couldn't watch when whats his face from Jackass threw up in a pan then cooked his 'passings' for an omlette. So I watch a programme, even though I know I'm not going to like what I see.

So I'm asking you WHY do we enjoy watching people feel extreme levels of pain? are we so cruel that we gain pleasure from seeing people in uncomfortable circumstances, or is it just natural curiosity to see what would happen if so and so got hit with such and such.

Then again, maybe I'm the only person that watches these programmes.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:28
Because you're not stopping yourself from doing the wrong thing. D'you really think something will make you? It's up to you and you alone... your concience can only gently remind you when you're making a big mistake.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:47 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 13:56
[edit]

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:15
Quote: "I hate how you know what Jackass is, but Americans don't know what anything European is unless we steal it (eg "Who's line is it anyway?"). I hate the way if you go to Germany they refuse to speak German to you because English is the "cool" language."

It's because America has a larger population and cultural influence. It'd be the exact same situation with the names switched around if England was larger and America was smaller. It has nothing to do with the people. Jeez...

Quote: "Don't get me wrong...I love America, but I don't love Americans."

Congradulations on becoming a racist. But at least you love several hundred thousand square miles of dirt.

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:47
Plus America wasnt formed by itself... it took people to create such a wonderful place. Those people are called Americans and I happen to be one of them.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/db_games/
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:51
Actually they were called Englishmen. During the revolutionary war, motivational posters had things like 'RIGHTS FOR ENGLISHMEN' on them. Good people come from all over the world .

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:56
You wanna do a dirty sanchez thats ur bizness man

~*~ Life Is Temporary, Gaming Is Eternal ~*~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 10:59
But by posting here he's making it public business, so that's sort of a moot point.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 12:53
Hzence, dont ever pass at drunk at my house (yes, in america) or I will give you a "Clevland Steamer" for your silly comments.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 13:08 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 13:11
I totally agree with HZence. I have thought about this before. Europe has all the stuff we have but not the other way around.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 13:11 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 13:11
double post sorry

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 13:53 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 13:57
[edit2]

I'm not bothering getting into a flamewar. Goodbye.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 14:20
Quote: "I totally agree with HZence. I have thought about this before. Europe has all the stuff we have but not the other way around."
I don't really agree with either of you(typical canadian siting on the fence). In most places people are PROUD of their heritage(especially europe(and québec)). That's what all that eurosism is about, trying to unite to make a force that would beat the americans. It's very simple: 1) america is a big guy controlling everthing 2)everyone else feels oppresed by them 3)when people feel oppressed they revolt. So that's what europe is doing.

Not that I hate americans, I hate america(by that I mean the US). Most americans are good people. It's the stupid people running the show that piss me off. Really the politions arn't running the show it's the rich people giving them money. Even the president is a rich guy, and what do rich people want? That's it: MORE MONEY! So they send off the army to get some.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 18:56
Little known fact, but the Dirty Sanchez boys had the idea way before Spike Jones thought of Jackass. Basically Brits get the humour because we love slapstick, it's our staple comedy diet - most of my mates watch these programs, but it's a laugh. I think too many people watch it and think, whoah!, that looks cool - but I've never had the inclination to do anything that stupid. I'm not sure that other countries see it the same way, I mean in the second Steve-O DVD, they feature this 'fan' who set fire to his plums, then was keen as mustard to chop his pinky off by himself with a cleaver, just to be on one of those shows. Pretty worrying stuff when you consider the volume of idiocy watching these shows unattended. Personally I think Steve-O's hilarious, most of the a-hole quotent was taken up by his ontourage.

Has anyone seen the Sanchez where Pancho gets a staple through the middle of his pinky nail! - damn that looked painful.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 02:01
Quote: "Incase you didn't know Dirty Sanchez is the English version of Jackass"
Unless I'm mistaken they are all a bunch of good olde welsh boyos and one (not very good because he doesn't try much) saes (nasty sounding slang for english bloke). Think they come from where most my family are from originally (mines and valleys and depression).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 02:06
Review I found:-

Dirty Sanchez, MTV 's new Jackass(ish) show, but with Welsh trailer trash rather than art school drop out Yanks, has been taking a bit of a kicking by some media expert types, such as Digital Spy.

Claims are being made that Dirty Sanchez is just a poor man's Jackass and no better than Bravo's Famous For Twatting About (or whatever it's called) which features a bunch of Scottish Highland hicks twatting about. Big point being missed. Indeed Dirty Sanchez is a poor mans Jackass - that is the point. Don't get me wrong - I like Jackass, but Dirty Sanchez stands out on its own. Nothing touches it.

Jackass, brilliant though it is, is nothing more than American white collar kids with cash, f**king about, because they can. Dirty Sanchez on the other hand, has a pure white trash aesthetic (or should that be assthetic). Dirty Sanchez's levels of self mutilation, mental degeneracy and general yuk factor far surpass those of Jackass and any other similar shows.

Dirty Sanchez is frightening, not simply beacuase of the genuine moments when you want to turn over (out of pure grossness rather than boredom) but because you know these guys aren't doing this because they are just bored, they do it because there is f**k all else to do. The Dirty Sanchez sensibility is in its essence life in post-industrial Wales. Dirty Sanchez is the embodiment of small town, no aspiration, f**k it Welsh life, where eating pube pizzas, nailing your bollocks to a plank of wood, and having your bare arse sanded until it bleeds, is a night out, not a TV show.

------

Kinda explains the massive drugs problem in south wales. A few years ago my friend from Aberdare (totally poverty tastic area, and grim as f**k once mining dissapeared) went to 4 or 5 funerals in one year, all due to mates overdosing on heroin (all under the age of 30 BTW). There really is bugger all to do there apart from rob your auntie and take lots of hard drugs.

Cheers

discostu
Years of Service
User Offline
Wtf Dirty Sanchez english its bloody welsh you stupid prat there is one english bloke but hes just stupid

Its welsh

lifes a bitch then you marry one
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 08:17
Did you read my posts by any chance?

Cheers

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 08:21
Has anyone seen Human Traffic? - I'm sure Pancho was in that, just a sorta extra;
Quote: "''Sometimes I look in your eyes and all I see is resentment''"

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 10:51
Quote: "Has anyone seen Human Traffic? - I'm sure Pancho was in that, just a sorta extra;"

Seen it, didn't like it, maybe Pancho was in it, but I wasn't really watching.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 15:22
Quote: "T.V. it's a wonderful thing"
NO WAY, TV is just sh!t that fries your brain. It's mostly reruns anyway, and it consumes peoples lives. I got rid of TV a while ago, and I still know what's on, re-runs.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 16:16
I just saw a brand new episode of Family Guy I've never seen before in my life, it was obnoxious, brain-tumor causing, immature, bad writing, and the funniest, most entertaining thing I've ever seen in my life.

I watch TV every once in a while when a new episode of a show I like comes on. Y'know: Spongebob, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama, Viva La Bam, The Best Month Ever, that one where the japanese people do dumb competition things, Star Trek, and Banzai.

9 shows......that's about 6 hours. Spread that out over a week, and I don't watch them all often.

Sitting in front of a TV all day is going to screw you up, playing soccer all day is going to fatigue you to the point of destroying large amounts of tissue, reading all day is going to make you near-sighted and obese, surfing the net/programming/playing videogames all day is going to degrade your social interaction ability, and practicing music technique all day is going to make you crummy at interpreting and playing actual music.

Isn't it all just a matter of balance?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 11:08
Quote: "Banzai"
Really? They show that show in the US? Bet now!!!!!!

Cheers

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 13:18
Are you talking about Takeshi's Castle, Bear Crazy? I think they renamed it..ummm...Most Extreme Elimination. I used to watch fan-subbed tapes of that and it is halarious. I only watch:

1. Trailor Park Boys ( funny ass show if you get it!!)
2. Aqua Teen Hunger Force (another beauty!!!!)
3. Family Guy (beginning to let it go, cuz I don't think there are any more episodes)
4. ummmm..that's it!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 15:58
Most Extreme Elimination, that's it!

Never heard of Trailor Park Boys, miss out on it here in AZ.

Heehee, best moment from Banzai:
Has Harry Potter done it proper with a lady???
No
No
No
No
No...wait
YES!
Harry Potter actor has done it proper with a lady!

The Princess Diana doll of judgement was an...interesting concept.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 05:41 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 05:41
Trailor Park Boys is a beautiful fake documentary (mocumentary I think they call them now) that has come out of Canada. It comes on BBC America here (which is only covered by Satellite and Digital Cable). If any of you get a chance to see it...DO IT!!

One of the funniest shows I have ever seen!!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:26
since you guys are talking about jackass have anyone watch CKY(Camp Kill Your Self) it's the stuff befor jackass and not limited by what mtv says. or check out the steve-o video's, he is the sickest f***er ever. he is from jackass/cky if you didn't know. anyways cky is the better of them all. plus you get to see bunch of cool skateboarding clips.

http://cavesoft.no-ip.com
WIP Version of my site. Usally it is offline.
http://dev-cavesoft.no-ip.com
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
COS UR A SADIST!!! or was it massachist?

OR MAYBE YOUR BOTH!!!

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 03:49
Quote: "anyways cky is the better of them all"

CKY was better than the others because it was actually funny as well as completely moronic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:40:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:40:24