Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is it my imagination or...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 18:38
...are there fewer PC games coming out, due to the higher profits that can be made from consoles (and piracy)...
Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
Oh my, yes...
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 18:59
Seems like you're hitting s true chord there-

I haven't seen that many PC games lately. And when they do come out, you're like 'whoa' where'd THAT come from? Unless you follow the PC gaming magazines, it hits you by suprise when they hit the shelves.....

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 19:05
And the latest releases listed by GAME consist of a couple of PC games and 15 or so console games.

I think the PC is reverting backwards - soon it wont be doing much more than word processing and dealing with spreadsheets.

This is bad because if your trying to program for a console, your either stopped from doing it unless your with a big company (XBbox), or you have to spend around £120 for the kit and you still get bits missing (PS2).

Oh my, yes...
Jenny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 19:10
In the USA, I see lots of games coming out all the time for PC, also lots of TV listings for new games coming out.. the PC isnt dead hear, at least from what i see anyways..
I see alot of good games soon to hit the shelfs.

~Jenny

Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 19:15
PC gaming, to me, will be the ultimate rig, because you can update and download patches and mods, and use a mouse and keyboard for first person shooters. No end to the possibilities.

Joysticks are usually good
for flight sims or Mechwarrior
style games.

Consoles are more for people who like instant gratification, or wo aren't really PC saavy as to installation and updates and patches.

But both have
equal merit, as somedays you just want to plug in
and play, which is cool too. Both are OK with me

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 19:21
The only adverts on TV here are for mainly for console games - with the exception of Spliter Cell which is supposed to be coming out on the PC.

Oh my, yes...
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 21:38
Splinter Cell! Tom Clancy rules!

Ghost Recon is great. I have played the Rainbow 6 games too. All good stuff.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 22:51
And have you noticed that in most shops, the shelf space occupied by PC games is much less than that occupied by console games...

Oh my, yes...
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 23:31
Haven't always been more games to consoles then for PC's? Like, from the time of Super Nes and MegaDrive it was a HUGE number of releases compared to the PC. Besides, there're many softwares who always have been making more games to consoles then computers, as the great Capcom ( yes, they make games to PC's, but not in the same amount they do for consoles. ). The truth is... consoles are easier to plug and play the games, but sooner or later the computers will emulate it .
I also don't think it's cuz the piracy, once now that u can easily chip both PS2 and Xbox and even their games can be downloaded with programs as eDonkey .
Well... maybe I am wrong, but I really believe that it has always been more games to consoles then for computers.

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 23:38
No but if you include all the mini extras and stuff we do on DB/DBpro then that number will be greater!

Join FWMB at Aimoo!
I make games for fun!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 02:01
have to admit it is a different class in the UK ...
there are just as many games believe it or not, its just they're not getting much hype due to all the new consoles.
the UK never has had a fantastic amount of releases per year, ALOT of promised games which you may be surprised to learn come out in the states but are never heard of again in the UK.

First thing i noticed when i got back here was its almost everysingle adbreak either Splinter Cell, Red Faction or a console boaster advert. which is extremely different to how the states do this ...
don't worry you'll see these games, but really we're all still waiting for PC Halo
which is why splinter cell piss's me off, cause the bugger is done packaged and complete - just Microsoft to give the word. So everyone can probably forget about a PC release

and welcome to the forums ~jenny

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 02:16
I would like to see Spy Hunter converted - if the XBox can do it, so can the PC... But we wont get it because it's unprofitable...

Jenny - dont forget to leave your picture in the 'what do you look like' section...

Oh my, yes...
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 06:16
^_^ i see loads of games for the PC and consoles... but then again i do goto fry's a lot ... (its an electronic store in sacramento the size of a couple football fields... O_O i love it)...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:03:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:03:21