Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / scorched earth remake progress report

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 09:11 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2004 09:14
Hello all, thought I'd share with you all what I'm working on...

The installer is a self extracting .rar (saved a megabyte by using rar instead of zip) It appears to be a professional installer, fear not, it adds no registry values or the requirement of 'properly uninstalling' it. Just delete all the files when you are done.

mDeformDemo.exe - 1.59mb

*from the readme*
This is a program showing the way my entry in the DB Remake Competition will have matrix deformation and matrix loading.

The image matrixScape.bmp is just a 50x50 pixel bitmap representing the height values of the different tiles of the matrix. You can change the number of pixels in the bitmap so that the values are always less than 140 when combined. It *should* work but I haven't tested that yet.

After the height values are set, I check in the middle of every tile what the height is at, and texture it accordingly. The image mtexture.bmp starts off at the lowest end to the highest.

Unfortunately as of right now the number of tiles has to be hardcoded in the program. But when all is said and done, you could have a hundred images tiled together ranging from the lowest to the highest, and the program would automatically determine which tile to use depending on the height of the center of the matrix tile.

I hope that all makes sense.

The third part of this program you will see is a little box that moves around.

At random times the matrix will cave in under it, this is to show you how the matrix is deformed when a "blast" will hit.

If the blasts are near the edge of the matrix, they will wrap around to the other side. In the future I want to add multi-matrix support by coding in which edge of the matrix goes to which other edge of which other matrix.

As of right now nothing happens to the texture when a blast is rendered, but in the end the texture would be replaced with a scorched counterpart.

All of the parts in this program are self contained in functions, while some header information, such as globals and TYPES will need to be placed at the top of the program. There are only two functions needed to use this library, a make matrix function, and a blast matrix function.

The full library will be released for anybody's use after the competition has ended.

-----to run it----
You will start off in the lower corner, but if you move your mouse cursor up and to the right, you will see where you need to go to see this in action.

Use the mouse and the up and down arrow keys to navigate.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont get it.. Deforming matrix isnt hard >< Nice to see you make progress with SE. I will have fun playing em

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 09:21 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2004 09:22
no it isn't hard, but it does take a lot of planning to do it properly. It isn't just something you can implement in a couple hours, at least, not implement properly.

I did it over the course of maybe 8 - 16 hours

*and when I say that, i mean the entire thing, including the matrix loading via bitmap, and auto texture assigning according to height

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 09:57
Impressive Jerico. I like the idea of multi-matrix support.

486 FPS.

1.8 ghz | 9800 radeon pro | 1500 ddr ram

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
130 fps

-1.4ghz
-Geforce 2 MX-
-128 RDRAM

This sig has been dullified!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 10:16
well, the fps will not necessarily be key to getting the fps in the end..

Because never will you be looking at more than part of the matrix at one time. And the deformation is only done every *once in a while* which I have to admit, is a very draining function (two for/loops, sin/cos function calls, and updating the matrix itself)

Therefore, 100+ is quite good^_^

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 10:29 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2004 10:30
i got 33 .....my comp sucks...
2.4ghz
512mb ram
crappy video card

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I am getting X800 xt monday ^^ I'll tell u my results.

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 15:23
cool. runs at about 50 fps, probably cuz my video card is 64mb.

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 15:07 Edited at: 25th Aug 2004 15:08
Yay! I now have multimatrix support, tho the new demo doesn't show it^_^ However the demo now shows the matrix deformation in action. Just press the spacebar and the land will collapse below the tank

There's now a tank, and now you can see how the tank will move about. It's really a cool system for movement.

here

check out the readme for instruction on how to move the tank about

Also, nevermind about the model problems. It's been fixed. It was an exportation mis-setting

I just don't want to re upload it

so tell me what you think of the movement and deformation

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:58