Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / No more fantasies..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 08:28
If some of you have not heard, True Fantasy Live Online, the planned first MMORPG on XBox, is no more It was silently canceled by Microsoft this month, after not showing at E3. It was cited that it did not look like a "positive financial venture". Translation: It was not going to bring in the kinds of money that MS has grown used to. Oh, well, I kinda thought that the voice-chat was a mistake anyway. I was not looking forward to trying to get in character while hearing teens chat about what was on TV last night. ...Sigh...

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 09:21
wow... i'm sure if I had actually heard of it, i'd probably be just as disappointed as I am right now.

seriously though, MMORPGs are the domain of the PC.
Sony and Nintendo have become to realise this, simply because it costs money that console owners aren't willing to throw away as well as the limited chat options and gameplay setup.

Not only that but MMO games don't actually bring in much profit.
Even the hugely popular Ulitma Online and Star War Galaxies are making something like a 5% profit margin.
Considering most box release games will make developers close to 100-200% profit, this does bod badly. Mainly because of the work involved to maintain them once up, you just can't do it with Console games. Hense why PSO is pretty easily hacked.

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 09:24
That bites, but at least Fable is still set for a September 14th release date and if you book a copy now you get a free making of dvd.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 09:48
That was months ago.

Good god Raven shrink your f-ing signiture. That's ridiculously offensive (and not even a very good render for that matter).

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 12:38
@Raven: If the margin is so slim, why are so freakin many coming out? I'm not doubting that the return could be slim (the servers alone would be a b****), but there are just so many coming out!

What about FFXI on PS2? Yes, it does share the world with PC users, but there are TONS of PS2 users as well! There are next to no hackers now, and it runs very well! They do have to get a seperate keyboard to chat (in any usable fashion that is), but they are widely available from tons of different companies!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 12:47
Uhh Raven, it was going to run off of Xbox Live(not trying to insult your intelligence). $50 a year for Live, no messing around with monthly subscriptions, okay maybe like $5 since they need an extra big server, not a whole lot though.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:24
Yup. He shoulda read the Gamespy article.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:51
Final Fantasy XI has *only* made a profit on the PC.
Hense why it still hasn't been released in europe for the PS2, it quite frankly has flopped in America on the PS2 but is doing well on the PC.

This is the trend, Phantasy Star Online is the most successful console MMORPG (just ahead of ./Hack) but even that is getting too costly for Nintendo to keep up and why they have said 'The Console Market is just not profitable enough to warrent an Online Service of this nature.'
That was actually a quote in the 10week (5pages per week) History of MMO Games and thier place in the world.

There are alot of these games because they can make alot on thier initial release just like any other game and they're highly popular.
Problem being is unlike other games the cost of upkeeping them is extreme.
You'll noticed this is why Expansion Packs are released often, so that you don't get bored with the game which make it popular for newbies... but at the same time curbing the fact that it is a money loosing industry.

X-Box Live! is fantastic an all... however most of it's severs don't have to handle MMORPG numbers of people in games, which means they don't have to be large or particularly structured.
Halo, Dead or Alive Extreme, Midnight Racer 2, etc... They're all games which benifit from the low cost Live! service, but players will only be on those servers for an hour at most.
Usually those games are for letting of steam and just shotting people particularly without a viable way to communicate and chat.
(I know there are mic games, but take some time to play them on std connections. Most aren't good enough unfortunately)

MMORGPs however people aren't just there to play. You chat, you trade, you make friends. It's an extremely social experience.
As such you find you spend hours and hours in the game and so the servers much be designed to cope with huge numbers.

A good example of an online game which is good but is struggling is TheSimsOnline.
The game is expensive to start with, the subscription is $10/month however the game content is free.

When it was first released EA made *ALOT* of money. Something around 350,000 sales within the first month. Problem is alot of players played until the free trial is up then most just decide not to carry on. EA have the servers running to handle the *potencial* number of gamers that can enter each of the 6 Cities, which I believe the Max is around 400,000 per server. However the problem is there just aren't that many people there now because interest has waned.

The following would still be *more* than enough to make a sequal and have it popular and make alot of cash. Problem stands with the server costs. You'll see servers for games like that just kinda drop off once the initial buzz has gone.

Which as I said means add-on packs to keep interest and revenue.
Within a year of Final Fantasy XI being online...
I will have spent:
$50 on the game itself. $19 on the new Addon pack. $20 on special quests plus $140 subscription costs.

This is beside the fact that in order to play it, my low-end system had to be upgraded as my Processor wasn't fast enough and I needed a larger Hard Disk for it.

This is all totally ridiculous because gamers just keep on paying and paying. Although this year is the 'year of the mmorpg' it is just a gaming fad. Back in 97-98 it was the 'year of the FPS' and in 2000 it was the 'year of the mods'...
They're fads which companies are trying to ride the wave of to make money.

At the end of the day I think Microsoft are clever to have canned a game which would've not only become obsolete with the comming FPS fad. But more so that they're not trying to compete in an over-saturated market.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:55
GameSpy already wrote an article on why they probably canned it. Besides, none of the first half of that post established anything; it was still not aimed for the PC.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:56
Quote: "(just ahead of ./Hack)"

Raven...you do know that the .//hack games aren't MMORPG's...right? They're set in an MMORPG, but it isn't actually one (and if it was...you'd think it would still be up with all the chaos in it?).

Sorry for stating the obvious, but what you said just bugged me.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512 MB Ram nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:36:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:36:08