Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Star trek themed rpg WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 21:21
I think I will repeat myself... but this game will rock!!!!
Really beautiful models & interfaces....

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 23:07 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 23:08
Here's another screeny:

Opening a wormhole through space

btw - the low fps is because i had other programs running at the time.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:

I've added a starfield effect, now when the ship moves it's actually noticeable
I've postponed working on the wormhole (a traveling means), because I rather focus on releasing a demo.
The map is complete, and planets, stations, and several ships have been rescaled. Stations and planets are now waaay much bigger, as they should be, and they really look better.

Here's a screenshot showing a big borg fusion cube (about half of the federation deep space 9 station shown. That little ship you see being fired by the borg ship, is the aruuman class (as shown in my previous post). notice how massive the borg cube is
I'm looking forward for adding some cool borg engine sound, to make it even scarier.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
creepy

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 06:02
cool cant wait till the demo

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:

Demo will be released soon, in about less than week I think.
In the screenshots, i've zoomed in so I could take better shots, it's still a 3rd person perspective though.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 04:02
Lookin good

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 07:12
not a startreck fan but, WOW! keep working, looking awesome!

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 08:53
As with Gil im not trek fan but...DAMN ! that looks good, now will wait to see if the gameplay is as good !
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 19:19 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 21:07
The beta is ready to be released.
It is about 100 MBs, but i'm zipping it with 7 zip (Ultra option), so hopefully it will go down in size.

Still, It would be a considerably large download, and i'll need a server of some kind to upload it. Too bad, DBspot is no longer hosting, as it had no limit on upload size.

If anyone knows a server that would accept (for free) about 68 megs of upload, i'll be gratefull.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 06:44 Edited at: 1st Feb 2005 07:13
You not only have to think of space to upload, but also monthly bandwidth as alot of people (including me !) are going to want to try this and you dont want to run over your limit.
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 11:24 Edited at: 29th Jan 2005 11:29
I'm lost for a site that would host it

How long have you been coding? this thing is looking AWSOME!! and what kind of software are you using to make those effects and stuff? thats some of the best graphical stuff I've ever seen in DBPro...

Can't wait for the demo either, and, depending on how good the gameplay is, you might even be able to get it published, unless you want to make it one of those great games for people like us to learn from, but no thing against you if you decide to publish...

keep it up man,
CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Antdizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 11:49
I can give you a subdomain on my website with FTP access. There should be plenty of bandwidth(20,000MB) so I shouldn't have any problems with my website.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 12:13 Edited at: 29th Jan 2005 13:33
great i'll contact you.

@ CPU
I've been coding this for more then six months now.
believe it or now, all the effects are created by 2 simple lines :
Ghost object on object
Fade obejct on object,200

Simple, but effective

This game is to be released free.
Even if I wanted to publish it for money I wouldn't be able to for a couple of reasons:
(1) Star trek and all its content is copyrighted, and I doubt Paramaunt will want to publish it for me.
(2) All the models and sounds are not mine.
People have created them for Armada II,Armada I,SFC, and Bridge commander as mods. They released them for free, but no to be used as a commercial use.

EDIT:
I'll upload the beta tonight, so it'll be up for downloading tommorow morning.

In the meanwhile, here's an in-game video.
The quality isn't so good, as fraps really kills your frame rate.
http://zokomoko.antdizzle.com/Gamevideo.zip
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 23:26
to happy for words... don't suppose you'll be releasing the source code as well when your finished?

you've got some good potential, that's pretty good for six months work, especialy if you've just started coding at the start of it, but I've expected you've done some other stuff before to...

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
At this point, I would like to ask people to be beta testers for the game.

If anyone will be interested to beta test for this game, please contact me by replying to this post.

A beta tester should be knowledgeable about Star Trek, he will obviously have to test the game and look for bugs, and have some suggestions for improving the game (for free of course).

I wouldn't need more then 2-3, thx in advance.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 06:59
i will do it

Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 10:35
Wow that vid looks excellent! One thing tho, the music didnt quite fit the mood of what you were doing. Fighting a Borg Sphere and several Dimonds would sound a bit more urgent in my opinion. Other than that the wormhole was amazing.

Think what you like, you'll all be mine in the end.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
I've improved the looks of the sky box, there are stars and a nebula now.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 04:59
Looks superb

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks yummy

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 12:45 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 12:46
yo if u want i have an entire cd of sci textures for hulls, damaged hulls, satellite fixutures, alpha channels, bumpmaps, 1024,512,256 sizes etc u name it i got it(marlin studios texture cd). if u want i can send u the cd via a zip. cause this game is awesome mplus im a major star trek nut. i would like to see this already awesome game be improved visually. up to you either way let me know. i can be reached at jbrady2020@verizon.net. or my msn jbrady14@nyc.rr.com give me a hollar. good luck and keep up the excellent work.
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 20:09
HI!
I ould like to beta test the game!!!!!!
I'm absolutely fan of StarTrek... & naturally I love the way you've done the game!!!!
Can reach me using my mail or posting here....

Guido
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
@ SGT KOOLAID
I'll contact you through MSN, thx for the help btw.
@ Vues3d on Kalimee
excellent, do you have MSN ?
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 11:42
no problem glad i can help these textures are awesome, but i dont have any project i can use them on at the moment, so i figure you could put them to use. those textures will much more crisp, detailed, and visually appealing, these are top of the line killer made textures, from marlinstudios.com.you wont be disappointed. i may get some a bit later for the snow-island project im completing.we are on beta 2 thus far.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 04:46 Edited at: 5th Feb 2005 04:48
update :
I'm implementing more RPG aspects into the game, and some more features, such as he ability to auto follow a target, that'll make fighting an enemy easier.

enemy ships will not attack you on sight (for the meantime), they'll wonder around, and they will attack you only if you attack them.

Here's a screenshot of some kazon fighter ships (there were 30 overall)

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 07:30
This looks stunning, well done...lets see a DB'er make a comercial game beater !
The scope of work going into this really amazes me, you are recreating everything ! my hat is off you you sir !
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 16:22 Edited at: 5th Feb 2005 16:35
hey zoko, here is a new nearly finished new borg model for you. gonna work the look of the model, and add a bit more variety in the textures.but overall just wanted to show u the new textures i made using the textures i had and edited them in PS7. u werent on so im showing them in here. should have a finished model for in game by tonight
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that ship looks cool
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 17:12
Hello,

Im not sure if i have posted in hear but i have been monitoring closly. One thing i can see is you stuck with it and therefore have produced these amazing results.

I would like to be considered for a beta if there are still spaces.
Please email me if there are:
richardsim@tiscali.co.uk

Regards,
Rich

Liberty: Fight for Freedom
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 17:17
Zokomoto: Sorry but I haven't MSN... but you can contact me through the e-mail address...

SGT KOOLAID: The Borg cube is simply amazing! Very beautiful textures & model...

Guido
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
here's an update:
I haven't had much time working on this, so I just fixed a few bugs here and there.
Next week I'll have more time working on this hopefully.

a few more screenshots:

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn that cube looks sweet and it fits right into that borgy looking space. Your doing a good job with this mate.

AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 21:56
Sweet!!

Take care
AtomR
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 03:17
Oh, God. I think I just had an orgasm.

Can we say orgasm here? Oh well...

Take care
AtomR
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

thx for the feedback.
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 08:33
no, not orgasm, but more appropriately... JOYGASM!!!!! lol
anyway for zoko. I am still working on borg city unimatrix 01 for you. taking a while since im splitting up work with snow island, almost completely done with the soldier model as well as a brand new M4-203 M4A1, and dualie glock 17's foir the game as well as brand new Visitor center and mono rail system. lot of work to sayt the least. but the borg city is looking hot ill be making a render of it soon, i did it to scale its roughly 2-5 miles long in scale.(this is for render scale to a actul borg model i did couple week earlier youll see soon.) im doing other aspects such as enterable hangers, and refueling matrix points. etc. looking good over all. just trying to keep the texture templates down to a minimum since the game engine seems to run better on minimal number texturemaps. i should have something relatively soon. hope this harbors good news for this game. hey zoko have u started using the textures i sent u??

also if u want i can do different LOD models that when u shoot it, u see damaged meshes on the ships or matrixes. let me know ill work on something this willonly bring the level of detail to a new height. keep up the great work zoko great things are coming soon.
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 23:55

looking good. i like it

Regards,
Rich

Powersoft Scripting Language under redevelopment!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 21:03
That really is good - what sort of speed do you get?

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Trek, but I do enjoy TNG, especially the ones with the borg

Good luck!

Drew Camerons free games - http://www.drewsgames.com/
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
I get a max 80 FPS, and an average of 65-70.

I've 2.3 GHZ, geoforce 3 ti 200, and 512 ram.

a little update:
(1) Movement is almost complete, I revamped the movement because it needs to be really accurate (so it'll be synced with other users).
(2) Chat is done ! you can type a message and other users can see it and send a message as well.

I'm focusing on making the code as "latency" efficient as possible, meaning reducing the number of packets being send/recieved as much as I can.

I thought of a way to make the code more efficient, but I need your thoughts on it.
lets say there are 30 NPCS just roaming around, they're in "idle" state, and they just wonder around (i.e they're mobs).
Normally, I'd imagined each npc would send a packet each time it makes a change to its movement (like going forward or turning right).
Each npc would send 1 packets a second on average, for example). That would mean 30 packets per second, and that's pretty high isn't it ?

So I've come up with a different approach. When the user logs onto the server, he recieved a number from the server.
The clien does "randomize number", so the next series of numbers would be the same for every client. The client then uses the rnd() command to make the next 30 "target coordinates" for EVERY NPC.

I'll elaborate, when an NPC wonders around, he just goes to a random target coordinates, and when it gets there, and moves on to the next one. so instead of the server constantly sending packets like "This npc has moved forward, that npc has turned right", the server would just send a seeding number, and the client will then generate the next 30 target coordinates. Then the client, would position every NPC, based on time (so it'll be synced for everyone).

When the server sends the "seeding number" he'll of course send MANY other things like every NPC's coordinates.

Is my approach efficient? or is there a better way to do things ?
Zantatsue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 00:36
Looks good. Can't wait to see it finished.
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 04:14
I was wondering what happened to this it looked great but no activity for over a month
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 11:39
congratulations that looks excellent! and only makes me want to work harder on my game in return.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:26:02