Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / New Demo, And beta testers request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 13:45 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 13:46
Well heres the last demo I can release publically. I now need some beta testers since this is an online game, and publically releasing online versions would be suicide

Requirements for testers:
- 64mb GForce 4 MX (128mb GForce FX or ATI Radeon 128mb strongly recommended)
- 256mb of ram (512 strongly recommended)
- Windows 2000 or XP (I will ~not~ support Win98 systems, hence, I don't want win98 beta testers)
- Broadband connection (I will not support 56k connections)
- Free time (beta testing isn't easy, I'll give free subscriptions to the beta testers that stick with it - maby other benifits as well)
- Ability to work sometime between 7pm-2am EST mon-fri and 5pm-2am EST weekends (I got a full time job too as a 'master' computer tech)

Anywho here's the demo:
http://www.digitalneo.net/SolarFront.zip [10.6mb]

I'll post a lengthy description of the game in a minute.

Dark Basic Professional
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 13:51
Couldn't get past the menu, but looks good anyway.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 14:06 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 14:25
SolarFront - Genre wise is a cross genre game. Its part star-trader, part RTS, and part simulation.

Back in the day I have created an RTS game:
http://www.digitalneo.net/cantabless1.png (Delphi)

An online RPG:
http://www.digitalneo.net/rz4/scrnshot1.png (Byond)
http://www.digitalneo.net/ody12.png (Delphi)

And some OpenGL demos in C++:
http://www.digitalneo.net/blend.jpg (MVC6)

The purpose of that is to show you that I do indeed have a few games -- online and offline -- under my belt. This is the one I hope will make me some money (although I made some from my RancerZero 4 online project).

I have spent the last 3 years looking for a fun online rpg to play, and have found none. Why? Because the genre itself is lacking. The single fun aspect of online RPGs can be simulated by talking in IRC. You spend hours upon hours training on the same annoying enemies to get stronger. Why? So you can go fight stronger enemies -- which at that point are the same difficulty as the ones you were fighting before. BORING.

Games like EVE Online try to break free from that but still fall behind. I mean, do you seriously like watching your ship hover around an asteroid mining, or watching your ship take a 4 hour ride from station to station? Didn't think so.

SolarFront is the game that will get it right. Its hard to describe all the aspects of the game in a linear order, but I will attempt to do so.

The game world is set in a galexy. The galexy contains many many solar systems. The solar systems contain many planets. All of which are explorable and enhabitable by players.

You start off on a planet in a 'starter' solar system with special protection (wouldn't want to die 5 minutes into the game for sure). Planets are not owned by single players, but by corperations. You start off with the NPC ran newbie corp.

When you click on the planet, a roll-out map will come up and will show you the regions on the planet. The regions are layed out like a grid. Each grid is a 'map'. If you click on a region you personally own, it will then take you to a 3D terrain view of that region, where you can manage your base.

Although this view is mostly for the RTS aspect of the game, its not just RTS style; it has simulation elements too.

For example, You can have a chunk of that region with tech buildings (defended with your best turrents and units of course ^_^). Those buildings will contain people researching technologies to impliment in your base, units and ships.

You also have your typical region-type-unit creation buildings, as well as defencive and storage buildings, and resource collection buildings (like production plants and extractors).

You can also have ground units. Your typical assault/defense units, as well as others. For example, You can have transport ships that are large and capable of carrying cargo (such as your ground units, or resources). Ships like that can be launched (or fly -- depending on your tech) into space, and fly to another planet or region (for attacking, stocking, trading, etc).

You can also have units and buildings in space. Things like defencive satalites or fighter ships (great for preventing assult cargo ships or defending your own ships during risky space areas).

Theres a lot more information than this, but most of it is rather technical.

[Edit]
I should also note that even when you are offline, your planetary regions can still be entered by other players and attacked (or defended) so you should make sure you are in a good corperation so you'll get the protection you need

Dark Basic Professional
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 14:07
Manticore Night: The only thing you can do in it is click 'new account' and cancel. I disabled account creation and logging in until I get some beta testers for private release.

Dark Basic Professional
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 14:38
I think I already saw this on another thread.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 15:33
*slaps his head*

I disabled it because I cannot publically release something of this nature. In order to properly test, I must have 'beta testers' in which I can stay in real-time contact with. I've learned from working on my previous online games that -- just because something works with one player, it may not with multiple players. Which is why me and the beta testers sit in a conference room or on IRC while testing so that the bugs can be quickly found and stomped out.

Dark Basic Professional
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 15:48 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 15:49
That looks goddam awesome. Can I test it?

I'd get rid of that privacy note though, and just make them agree to terms and conditions.

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 15:50
You'll need to contact me via a messenger. Do your system specs meet at least the requirements?

MSN: Dreq934@hotmail.com
AIM/Yahoo: Dreq934

Dark Basic Professional
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 16:07
Sure does, here's my specs:
256k DSL internet
GeForce 6800 GT
512mb RAM
1.8GHz processor
Windows XP home edition

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:46
Something like that

Dark Basic Professional
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:51 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 20:51
Some more general improvements:

Dark Basic Professional
osc
Years of Service
User Offline
looks mighty fine to me
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:24 Edited at: 24th Aug 2004 00:24
i'll be a beta tester!

system-
2MBs ADSL
Geforce 4 mx 420
pentium 1.5 ghz
512 MB ram
Windows XP
a good amount of free time...
i can do stuff on weekdays but i'm extremely busy on weekends...

e-mail...Magellan_studios@juno.com...

this is in DB/Pro right?

"We make the worst games in the universe."
The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:36
I'll be a beta tester although I'm not sure if my computer meets the requirements because I don't know that RAM and Processor stuff... But I do have Windows XP and the internet faster than DSL
andrewtamalunas@yahoo.com

Andrew Tamalunas
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:39
when your pc boots up it displays your cpu model and speed, aswell as how much ram you have

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:40
Sound does not exist at line 97.

Andrew Tamalunas
The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:49
Uh... No it doesn't.

Andrew Tamalunas
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:59
Love to help,but i work nights now so spare time is rare

dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 1,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
http://www.granadagames.com/
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:24
ive added you i will help

Scorched Turf --> Project Thread
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 11:09
My MirandaIM messenger got fragged so, all of you who added me, please message me so I can put you back in the beta folder

Dark Basic Professional
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 11:16
i don't have a IM of anysort...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 07:44:56
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 07:44:56