Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Compo: Snake or Scorched or Wolf?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:35
there are quite a few WIP posts now for the compo, looks like this year will be a success too. However it seems like there are a LOT of Snake / Scorched Earth posts, and basically no (saving mine) Operation Wolf posts.. I assume that the Operation Wolf projects are more complex, and therefore most don't have any screenshots ready to show yet...

so I was wondering, if you are entering the competition, please post what game type you're entering, and how the progress is going!

I'll start:

Game Type: Operation Wolf

Game Synopsis: On-rails shooter similar in gameplay to House of the Dead / Time Crisis, but with a different theme. will make heavy use of the Newton physics engine, including realtime Ragdoll generation on enemies.

Status: working on various editors necessary for the game creation. 3 Editors to make, 1 complete (see WIP post for more info). up next is a Ragdoll Designer Tool, for setting up ragdoll for 3D character models. about 25% coded, should be done within a few days. Then it's to the BIG level editor for designing the entire game level(s). and then basically it's just making the media, and finishing up the actual game itself (code should be based heavily on the editor).

I think I'll definately have something for the deadline, even if it's not 100% complete.

WIP Thread Link

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:48 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 19:00
Game Type: Scorched Earth

Game Synopsis: The main idea is that there are two or more neighbours that absolutly hate each other, even enough to start attacking each other. You have to use insane objects such as the BBQ, the kitchen sink or even your wife! Eventually the game will allow upto 4 players but primarily 2 for the TGC compo. Scorched Turf will also be in full 3D allowing cool camera shots of projectiles flying towards the enemy.

Status: Going to work on an editor for the game creation. The level editor for designing the game level(s). Then just making the media, and finishing up the actual game itself. At the moment the engine is being neatened up.

We will definately have something for the deadline, even if it's not 100% complete.

WIP Thread Link

Scorched Turf --> Project Thread
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:54
wouldn't that be game type: Scorched Earth ?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 19:00
oops... damn it... i just copied yours... lol

Scorched Turf --> Project Thread
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
mines an op wolf ^_^

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:10 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 20:10
Game Type: Op Wolf
Genre: FPS, with railed vehicle sections
Status: Building media and working on map editor. Most of the design and engine features have been worked out in my head already.

Ohh, has anyone noticed a big chunk of terrain missing with the new plugin, I blanketted a wire matrix over the terrain in my WIP editor, and there's a 7 tile wide chunk left over on my terrain. The data is there because it allows collision, but it does'nt create the polygons. Not a project breaker but a bit of a pain!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:21
have you moved the terrain away from (0,0,0)? IIRC there was a bug that caused the limb-hiding system to mess up if the terrain is offset. apparently the final version will fix it.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:37
Nah, haven't moved the terrain at all, the matrix lines up perfectly with it so it's positioned properly at it's default. I can live with it, because it should be possible to get really nice looking terrains quite easily with it.

Good luck to all, whatever you end up making .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 21:40 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 21:41
A lot of scorched earth posts? I can only find one.

Game Type: Scorched Earth

Game Synopsis: 2D (gasp! I'm guessing most people will be heading in the 3D direction) worms style gameplay, but with one twist, the gameplay is not turn based, although there will be a few limiting factors.

Game Status: No editor as of yet, but I'm just using a tilable photoshop image for my landscape. Landscape is fully scrollable and destructable. I have character collision down, and basic projectiles are up and running with wind and gravity. I also have weapon switching with cool HUD gfx done (getting my priorities right ), and basic trail particles done, but I still have to optimise. The game is fully FPS independent.

Only I have doubts about the AI, it could be very hard, and also I'm not too good at 2D graphics, so they may be a bit crummy, but I'll probably find a way to make it look good with minimum work .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 21:56
Hamish,
For Scorched AI, you could precalculate different projectile strengths until you find a hit - like every loop, you'd check a different move, until the AI had a good shot. If it makes a hit and the player does'nt move too far - it could spend the time fine tuning it's aim instead of starting from scratch.

I'm pretty sure that's how Worms calculates it's moves, probably starting from a decent guess from a physics formula, then spends it's time calculating strengths until it avoid's the terrain but hit's the player.

IMO it'd be more playable if it took a few shots to get centred in on the player, rather than hitting it spot-on every time.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 22:10
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the aiming, more the moving, like detecting whether it's running into a pit, or if there is a wall between it and the opposition. I could just make it stupid and stay where it is, but it'd be better with some movement.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 22:33
Ahh, a whole different flavour of headache!. I don't envy you, and I think that's why a lot of people are saying scorched will be tougher than an op wolf remake.

Ever looked into chess AI Hamish? - a system of possible moves, and a generated advantage score might help. Like you calculate the places where your tank can move to and give each one a score depending on how easy it is for it to hit the other player, and also how hard it is for the other player to hit you. Then once you have your possible moves in a list with the scores, selecting the best move is straightforward.

Anyhoo, sorry to digress the topic (again).

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:13
Game Type: Snake

Game Synopsis: 3D snake simulator with terrain and newton physics. Your snake must eat to live, food can be static veggies, jumping critters, or scurrying mice. Add in assort troubles for each level such as hostile terrain and traps.

Game Status: Got the snake growth working and flowing over assorted terrain and around obstacles. Next step is to add in some collision routines for food items and integrate growth and an energy bar.

Why did I choose snake? I can only spend a few hours each week on the task and I wanted to create something interesting within those limited time resources.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:20
Game Type: Operation Wolf

Game Synopsis: You are a mercenary hired by the military special forces for search and rescue and hostage missions. Your goal, to save lives and get a pretty large sum of cash for the effort. In-Game, its an FPS on rails basically.

Game Status: Working on media, shaders and music mainly. The main character mesh is done, now I just need to UV Map and animate it.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting this thing done, with school coming up and all that. I won't have much time to work on this at all.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512 MB Ram nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Game Type:OpWolf
Game Synopsis:I don't know.
Game Status:0% Done. Working on other stuff.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 04:58
Game Type: Snake
Game Synopsis: 2D. You are a cargo hauler/ repo-man in space collecting discarded/ lost/ stolen cargo pods. Free movement, multiple locations / missions, enemies, navigational hazards, and more.
Game Status: Got the movement code pretty much done. Time to include collission, then the actual collection of pods code.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 05:54
I'll probally never make this, but here goes...

Game Type: OpWolf (probally wil be FPS movement, but maybe I'll figure out how to do that darned on-rails thing I might even take it to TPS, if I bother to get CharFX, but considering I like FPSs... )
Game Name: Invasion of the Ragdoll Monkeys!
Game Synopsis: A bunch of monkeys are/have trying to steal forum user's copys of DBP and you must stop-them/rescue-the-copys-of-DBP! Will use waltber's newton dll. Weapons include Uzi, Assault Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Gauss Gun, and a few other undecideds... And for the final level you get to rescue Lee's copy of DBP!
Game Status: 0.03% done I've got some weapon idea and some of the forum member's names, and that's about it.

It'll probally never enter this, but I am going to work on it anyways for the experince with newton ragdolls...

~Hawkeye

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 07:57
Snake

3D shooter/assimilator

Working on models, textures and level editor.
I have 95% finished 70’s green screen computer effect, complete with a game of snake loaded and ready to run. If the user scored high enough in the game they would gain various cheats. This was going to be part of an intro, although I’m now in two minds as to whether or not I should use it.

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:20:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:20:36