Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TV weather gets computer game makeover

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3572562.stm

Looks interesting

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 18:56
Lol, look at the caption under the second picture:

Quote: "It is a far cry form the magnetic days of old"

God I'm lame lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 19:50
Lol

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
heh cool

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:05
GMTV already have a 3D map (not as graphically impressive as this looks though). They start with a Top down view, then the "camera" tilts and moves down under the clouds and travels across the country, through the rain.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:14
yeah but are they just changing how the maps are viewed to hide the fact that they still can't get it right?

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec- AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz, GeForce FX5200 128mb, 512MB of ram, Win XP Home SP1
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 20:37
I thought channel9 had something nice, now i know what it was all that time.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:25
Real-time rendering's an unneccary gimmick really. Doesn't that mean real-time screw-ups too? Hmm...

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:34
lol mouse most games are virtual reatime rendering. without it we would still be playing pre rendered scene games.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:37
i hope they aren't spending masses of our money on this gimmick.

[href]Checkpoint Router[/href]: My AI Routing Program
Sam Wright
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:58
Quote: " lol mouse most games are virtual reatime rendering. without it we would still be playing pre rendered scene games."

Er... I'm sorry, duh? I sure as heck hope I wasn't just playing through a video of Scourge of Armagon just now, and every other game before that . The point is that the weather broadcasting thing being rendered in real-time is an unneccesary gimmick. It'd be more reliable and look fancier if they rendered it an hour or so in advance.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 02:23
It's very important that when you get the forecast wrong, it looks good.

Weather forecasting must be one of the only jobs where you can screw up on a regular basis and not lose your job. What's more, it can affect other people's jobs and decisions, hence causing other people to screw up and possibly lose their jobs and livelihoods.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 02:26
Yeah ...

But my point actually was computer errors. Meteoroligists can regularly screw up and it's not a big deal, but what if you suddenly get display artifacts on the screen 'cuz the new video card wasn't so hot after all, or the CPU blows out and there's nothing at all? Seems to me it'd be far more intelligent to record the stuff in advance and drop it on the greenscreen in the classic way.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"i hope they aren't spending masses of our money on this gimmick."

unless you pay for BBC, they get their money from the sponsors, last i looked.

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 05:18
Quote: "unless you pay for BBC, they get their money from the sponsors, last I looked."

Their strapline is "Thanks to the way the BBC is funded by you"

The TV license in the UK, which goes to the BBC, is £121. If you have any receiving equipment, including a video, even if you never switch it on, you must have a TV license. You can no longer buy a TV without providing your name and address to the retailer.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 05:26
Things your TV license pays for

Fishcam, North Yorkshire:

Quote: "TELEVISION licence payers will help to pay for a massive redevelopment of the BBC's landmark building in Manchester city centre.

It will form the heart of a new entertainment district boasting bars, restaurants, homes and businesses.

A public square with a new entrance to the BBC's northern HQ is expected to be the centrepiece of the multi-million pound Oxford Road project - which is likely to see half of the famous brick building demolished.

It is planned for the cost to of the ambitious development to be met both by BBC licence payers and the private sector.
"

Quote: "The BBC has tried of late to emulate the successful format of the American networks, especially with it's expensive and audience lacking 24hr news programme, (well do you know anyone who watches it). This channel was criticised recently by a house of commons committee for being lavish with the spending and short on appeal.
Anyone watching the BBC, cant fail to have been impressed with its lavish support for government initiatives and spin. Its so in hock to the Blair administration that its now been dubbed the "BLAIR BROADCASTING CORPORATION". "

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 14:43
i forget you pay for liscences.
theres 6 tvs in this house, we would go broke for the liscences.
mouse i think your being a little negative lately. better have some pep me up juice.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 16:48
Quote: "theres 6 tvs in this house, we would go broke for the liscences."

One household, one license...forunately!

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:25:36