Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making rooms?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:10
This is a bit of a useless post but how do you make rooms with walls and roofs etc that you can walk around in?
Do any other bitmaps other than textures and photos come with Dark BASIC? and if so how do i get them up?

Cheers alot
Oli

Oswold is a Billy
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:15
I'd suggest trying Cartography Shop - I think there's a free trial here. I don't think many people would actually make the rooms in DB, as it would be very fiddly and the results wouldn't be very intricate.

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:21
cheers ric,
but if i download the trial version would i still be able to save my created rooms to dark BASIC?

Cheers for the help
Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:23
I don't know about the bitmap problem, but if you want to make rooms with db...you could go and make a bunch of boxes (although I would find this method to be trite and pointless. ie:
<-repeat command however many times for however many walls you want. if you want to learn how to modify objects and such press F11 and the help should come up (I find that pretty useful). HOWEVER I’d either invest some time, or some money into getting a 3d modeler… ask around for something that may be within your budget. I use 3ds max…can’t go wrong with that…anyway when you’re done modeling your rooms, just load them into your game using

yada yada yada once again use the help file under commands: basic 3d commands (or something like that) to get a full list of how to modify your scene… Hope I helped, L8R.

Hack the GIBSON!!! Hahaha What a corny movie!! But it was the Shiznitobam Snip Snap Sack..What did I just say?
The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:29
cheers emc2, as i have absoulutley zilch money at the momment (spent my last beans on dark BASIC) ill use the box idea , when my birthday comes around i think ill get a modeler(either cartography shop or 3ds max)
thanx
Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:35
I tell you what Oswold...I could use a pinch of good carma in my life right now, so why don't I just model your house for you?(no charge of course) Have you any reference photos, or pencil-drawn blueprints? If not, no bother, I've a nack for pulling schematics out of my hind quarters.

Hack the GIBSON!!! Hahaha What a corny movie!! But it was the Shiznitobam Snip Snap Sack..What did I just say?
The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:41
wow your one friendly chap!
Sorry i dont have any blue prints or anything as i have only just started designing the game. (then i realised i couldnt make rooms and decided to post asking about it)

A for the carma ill trade you 5 bucketfulls for a house!

Cheers very mucho
Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:45
Hey, 5 bucketfulls?!!? Can't go wrong with that...Alrighty, well can you describe how you'd like it to look? Better yet, do you have aol instant messenger or yahoo or something where we can talk in real time?

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:49
i have aol instant messanger my address is olliebobwhistle@aol.com
it doesnt really need to be huge just a two bedroom flat or something.

cheers
oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:51
ok, well...I'm eemcee2k99@aol so whenever you sign on, we can chat about it in more detail.

lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:54
Oh, by the way, I'm at work right now, so when I get home this evening I'll get to work on it.

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:57
hey emc2 just read in ur profile somthing about music and lead guitars, do you play or are a recorder?
Also im generally always online (internetaholic) so wenever u need to ask me something ill probably be online.

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:11
I play Lead, yes(my acoustic/electric is so theraputic), but as far as music, I mostly do digital production (electrical, hip hop, r&b, a little alternative, heck, I've even done a few orchestral score-like tracks). Been doing that stuff since I was a freshman in highschool. Jeeze, now I've tooted my horn Do you do production or play any instruments?

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:23
yep im a guitarist lead and/or rythm in a school garage type of band, ive only been playing 3 years but think im doin ok.
we mostly play rock,grunge,etc as the other members prefer that stuff but personally i like to whip out my acoustic and play some (or try to play) Nick Drake.
Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:37
question: what is your area of interest when it comes to making games? because i have this project coming up and i'm trying to build a team...

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:44
well i like rpg's and fps, but since im only a newb my skills are not exactly worthy of being part of a team.
But i live in england so it could be hard to transfer info, data etc

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:57
It's no sweat, just throwing that out there

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 01:58
cool, wot kind of games r u into

oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 04:41
All kinds really, but (be it known though) I'm a newb to DB as well, actually only been messing with it for 2 weeks, but it's like once I got the hang of the syntax, it's sooooooooooooo easy (a strong background in coding doesn't hurt either). That's why I feel i'm capable of making the following game: It's an anime style flight sim/fps (the jets turn into huge anime mech robots), and I'll see if i can get some cell shading in the game(i'm pretty sure dx9b supports that)anyhow, you get a bunch of cool weapons and you fly via multiplayer or solo making money, customizing your jets while enhancing it's capability, and competing in several different (giant) maps (just imagine the city in the 5th element, if you've ever seen it, great movie~!) different gametypes, and a lot of different jets, a lot of different weapons, and a lot of LOT of powerups and special addons...It'll probably be a very long project, but it'll be a steady one and well worth it(after it's done, i plan to make a lil bit of chash from it). I'm doing concept art for one of the jets as we speak. And I have the support of a few helpful friends. So anyone with a stitch of talent and some dedication is more than welcome to help with the project.

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 05:09
Well i have been using Drak BASIC for less than you and have virtually no background experience (except for Dos and a few other game programming languages).
The idea of a cel-shaded game sounds great as I think cel-shading is really cool.
And the jet/robots sounds a cool idea, have you started programming for it yet or are you just doing concept art and gathering ideas?

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 05:12
Yes ive seen the 5th element and the city is pretty cool, would it have loads of A.I drivin flying cars/traffic etc or would only the players fly around it?
Also do your friends have programming experience in BASIC?

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 06:33
Well, I haven't started on the code for the actual game, but I've been writing several programs which contain code that would contribute to the game, I'll do that until the story behind the game is complete and I'm ready to start on the game. In the city, a lot of A.I. "cars" flying and riding around. It should be pretty busy and action packed(i hope)...and while my friends don't have any actual knowledge of how db works, they'll pick it up as fast, if not faster than I did. They have background knowledge in basic...and game coding yada yada

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 16:58
Well if you actually want my help then firstly-is their anything I could do (programs i should explore etc)
And dont worry about the house you were going to build me as this sounds more important and more fun!

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 00:42
Alright...well, as I see it, It would be easier to:
1: get the concept down (pretty much done)
2: get a story behind the game (really easy)
3: draw concept art for the jets and scenery (may take a while but we've got nothing but time)
4: create models based on the characters (will definitely take a while)
5: once the models are done start doing the code (another long while)

*heheh make a game in 5 easy steps * roll eyes

The code will easily be at least 5,000 lines just to let you know up front, but it'll breeze by. The beauty of coding is that we can do something like this...

This (as you probably know) is the main loop with several functions being called each time it's looped. I'm not sure if it's the most efficient method (in-game performance wise) but it's a sure-fire method of keeping everything organized. This way we can work on our functions separately, then come together and copy and paste them to the main code. By the way, (if you don't know) a function works like this

But all-in all, we're pretty much at stage two. I'd rather not shell out every detail on this forum, so i'll buy a web domain for the game today and point it to my server, I guess I'll have a friend (or myself) build a small web page for us to chat on and post stuff about the game or i'll make a small chat program (i'll probably go with the website lol, much easier). But we need a way to correspond outside of this forum so i'll get to work on that riiiiiiiiight now.
P.S. As far as what you can do right now, just keep learning the code as you were, check the *codebase*, the code snippets in the forums, and while in dark basic press f11 and use the help file (they have examples in there). Just learn up on that stuff so in a few days, when I have the site up, we can start theorizing on how to make the game work. Later!

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 01:08
Yeah thats exactly what I'm trying to do. My main source file is like 600 lines and i have like 4 other functions, and I'm trying to make my Main Source File like only functions...but then again thats going to be a LOT of "GLOBAL" at the top

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 02:06
homie g....you mean you're trying to make that same kind of game??

lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 04:13
are you still around oswold?

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 05:01
Yeah im here just learnng what i can about programming with BASIC

Oli

Oswold is a Billy
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 06:06
Quote: "The code will easily be at least 5,000 lines just to let you know up front"

my last game was a simple game and it was 6000+ lines...

i think a game like you are planning would be AT LEAST 10,000 lines

BTW i really suggest you try making something else before this game...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 17:20
Quote: "when my birthday comes around i think ill get a modeler(either cartography shop or 3ds max)"

Chuckled a bit when I read that. 3DS max is a 3000+ dollar modelling program. There are many free modelling programs, such as

Blender3D
Wings3D
Anim8or

And then theres Milkshape 3D (My Personal Favorite) which only costs 20 dollars. Google search the other ones

Good luck with your program (might want to start a wee bit smaller like Peter said )

Cheers

RPGamer

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 18:37
Yeah I searched 3Ds max and when i realised how much it was I kind thought "woah", will the above modelling programms (the ones rpg gamer suggested) allow me to transfer the models I make into Dark BASIC?

Cheers Oli

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 00:43
Oli. How's it going? I hope all is well. Things are not well at all on my end. Long story short, I'm having some issues with one of the officers of my company and in order to 'swim', I have to devote all my energies and focus to fixing this problem and moving on. Sorry to say, but this takes precedence over this game project. However, I do believe this situation will be short-lived. Therefore, provided we keep in touch (and you're still interested), we can pick the programming back up. On the plus side, this will give you some time to really familiarize yourself with the language fundamentals. I'll still be available but basically we'll just have to put the game on hold for a few weeks (I'm expecting anywhere between 2 to 5 weeks).

Until then, KIT
- E=MC2

lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 00:45
P.S. 3DS max is no joke, when I got it, it set me back into the nosebleed section. But it was/is damn well worth it. Basically, as with pretty much everything, you get what you pay for...

Cheers!

The Amazing O
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 01:05
Ok i shall learn what i can, but i think if we ever need to contact one anouther, we should use AOL messanger as this post is quickly turning in to a conversation, instead of a "help" post and the mentors may get a bit peeved that we are taking up space that could be used to help newbs!

Oli
P.S ,hope things go well with the problem you are having

Oswold is a Billy
lickuidstylz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 01:08
I agree fully (My humblest apologies to the moderators),I put you on my buddy list but I never see you on line.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:26:02