Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wizads: Battles of Insanity (W.I.P.)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 07:15 Edited at: 28th Aug 2004 03:54
Righty ... I didn't really intend on releasing anything on this project 'till later on. But the situation at home is a bit dodgey (I currently have no home) and I can't see myself getting on the interweb all that frequently.
But here goes ... I started building this one a few weeks ago, when I saw Smash Bros on my friends Gamecube. Before you all squeak "Nay! Not another attempt at a smash bros copy!", listen forth to what I have to say.
A long time ago (2 years, 42 days and 5 hours to be exact), I released a game called Wizads. Only, none of you know that, because I never told this forum about it ... could be something to do with that fact that it wasn't made in DB. But anyway, I digress. It was basically a real time worms, but with over copious amounts of blood, flashy spells fired by camp wizards (wizads) in shiny dresses, hordes of goblins and fully destroyable terrain.

While Wizads was a great success amoung the few whose got to play it, I decided that it had to be extended.
Over two years passed and I had still not found a sensible way to extend it and keep it amusing to play ... but then I saw Smash Bros and my mind spun around, did a few summersaults then played leap frog with itself.

Thus became Wizads: Battles of insanity. I got to work on my new project, learnt how to churn out models from milkshape in quarter of the time it used to take me and remembered how to use pixia.

Gander 'pon the following screen shots ... for I cannot promise an update for a while (between a few days, and a few weeks)).

These are very early screenies; the wizads are untextured but I've finished the knight character. The AIs are just drones, they don't go after you.

Zoomed out view of the level (Classic Smash Bros camera view).

Screenie of Gunther the knight in mid jump.

Another piccy of Gunther.

A Wizad in mid jump.

Another standard view.

Haven't really thought about storyline but there'll definitely be one.

Sorry no demo yet. Will devote the next few days to getting the internet up and running at my temporary home.

Daih thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Blame it on INSANITY!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 07:20
looks pretty cool

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 07:40
Looking very nice, you've got some great looking textures there.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 08:22
look really nice
I like the style.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 11:19
Looks like a kids story book, cool.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 18:59
Looks really great & love a lot your design style!!!

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 11:18 Edited at: 25th Aug 2004 11:23
@all - Thanks for the replies guys.

@play2kill - All the textures are done in Pixia. Great program and it's free!

@burnhard - Yup the models are animated. I didn't animate them in milkshape though. I've never got to grips with animating in a 3d editor. Believe it or not the animations are all done in code, so you get smooth transitions from one movement to the other (although you have to be fairly stupid like me to sit down and code 'em). About the tower ... it's actually not just jutting out of the sea, I noticed the dodgeyness in that screenshot myself (I assume you mean in the first shot). If you look at screenie number 4 you'll see the level carries on down for a bit.

No idea how long I'm to be perched here, but I should have time and web access for the next few days, so I'll get a demo uploaded.

Been having trouble with my particle system recently ... since I downloaded upgrade 5.5 actually. All the transparent objects obscure each other where they should be see through. I didn't have this problem before ... anyone know how to fix it? Screenshot below.

Edit - They're just ghosted planes. I've tried a few other image formats ... but maybe I'm missing something.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 02:46
WO HOO! DEMO!!!

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 05:12
@Black Dragon,
Use :
Disable Object ZWrite
for all objects that are ghosted .
I did get that problem too but with that command ( that was introduced in patch 5.4 due to 3D engine changes ) it now work correctly like in older patches .

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 07:33 Edited at: 26th Aug 2004 07:44
@freddix - Excellent! Thats made my day totally spinkey. Thanks man, now I can concentrate on some more pressing matters.

I'm thinking the demo'll be out later on tomorrow. Not so much to do in it at the moment, but I'll try and get an attack animation in tonight.

Edit - Just incase anyone's interested, here are a few screenshots from the original wizads.

It was a fast paced spell slinging game ... you generally end up hammering the fire button, then realise you're out of mana and quickly find yourself ending up in a big gooey mess.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 14:34
Is there a demo? Of either of them?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:05
Yeah, is there a demo? Cause this looks awesome... And I would hate to miss it

~Hawkeye

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:31
Screenshots look hella fun.

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 06:17
Hold yer horses ... going as fast as I can. Could possibly have a demo up in the next few hours.
Dunno about the original wizads ... We'll see.
Just ironing out a few glaring errors at the moment. Don't expect much to do in it yet. You can run around, jump, double jump and errm ... thass it.
If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get an attack animation in there tonight, but I'm gonna try and fix a few bugs first.

Blame it on INSANITY!
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:50
Don't rush it. A bug-free, fun game is worth a wait.

You have a fun little nugget of programming gold here that could provide hours of fun.. only real thing I'd avoid is quitting, because eventually, someday, I DO want to play it.

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 03:46 Edited at: 28th Aug 2004 04:21
Hehe well here's something to keep you going. I couldn't be bothered to add in the attack animations yet, so it's just the base enginey thing at the moment. Enjoy.

http://www.dbspot.com/blackdragon/wizadsboi.zip

Controls are in the readme, along with a few known bugs. Mouse rotates the camera when you're paused.

Edit - Just remembered another bug that I forgot to note down in the readme. When the wizad does his flip in mid air, his eyes roll backwards. Not a severe error, but if you find any bugs other than the ones I've mentioned, then do say so.

Edit - Tab switches between characters.

Yet another edit - Sorry about the size of the zip ... haven't got 'round to converting the images yet.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Felix
Years of Service
User Offline
Having been one of those people lucky enough to play the original wizads and having seen this new game in various stages of completion, i personally cant wait for this new one to be finished! the original was one of the most addictive games ive ever played.... and until you've had the joy of watching your enemies explode in a cloud of blood and bones from the devastating power of "elemental brain damage" (a stupidly powerful spell from the original game) u wont understand!

But enough with the over entusiasm.... download that demo! And help me get this guy to actually finish one of his games for once!!!!!!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 07:03
Yeah, great game. Great grafics and feel.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 11:03
nice!! the graphics are wonderful of course... and the control already feels "right". This will be a really cool game once it's ready!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 14:25
Glich! You can go throught the walls to get into the torcher chamber.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 23:10
@Manticore Night - Jumping through the corner of the block above the gate right? If so, I've already noted that one down. But nicely spotted.

Gonna work on getting the simple attacks and the AI done next I think. The AI in this will have to live up to the original game. The goblins in that were right bar stewards. They'd flock together and throw stones if you were just out of sword reach, but slash you to pieces if you came any closer. I'll think carefully about their intelligence in this one. They used to avoid pits and drops in the old one, but they weren't very good at it.

Attacks will probably go along the same lines as soul reaver ... i.e. you press attack and the character attacks one way, then if you press it again within a certain time period, you get a different attack move ... and so on.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
The AI keep on commiting sucidide and make the screen move a lot. You should make a feature that causes the view to be centered on your charecter.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 06:45
No the glich is on the other side of that building.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 08:21 Edited at: 29th Aug 2004 08:24
@Ilya - Don't worry, those aren't AI's ... they're just dummy characters that run randomly 'round the level. The "AI" I'm currently working on avoids falling off ledges if they'll end up committing suicide. If you want the camera to stay focussed on the character you have selected then press 't'.

@Manticore Night - Ok I've seen that one a few times now. Missed it out in the documentation. Luckily it's been fixed now.

I'll release another demo once the AI is done ... I should have an attack done by then too ... so you'll have something to do other than just run around. Don't expect it for a few days though.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 23:48
Downloaded the tsch demo, and it looks very nice! The gameplay looks rather inventive, and graphics fit wonderfuly with the playing style... This really looks good! Oh, and btw... LoKiDeCaT was right, a bug-free game that's fun to play is *much* better than a game that was rushed because of meglomanic developers like me So, take you time, turn it into the next StarWraith! Well, you have wizads and gunthers instead of starships and lasers, but... well, you get the idea...

~Hawkeye

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 14:53
Looks very nice. Appears to be some texture stretching on the castle, but nothing a quick job wont fix ^_^ Another graphical thing I notice is the contrast of detail on the tree. The trunk is increibly detailed, whereas the leaves are basically just one big swirly

However! This is looking great, Im hoping you release this as a full version, Im sure it will find a spot on the TGC page somewheres Always great to see full games released written in DBP!

Cheers, keep up the great work!

RPGamer

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 16:03
Wow, you blow Yarr out of the water!

PUN INTENDED.

Great animations

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 05:20
(bump)

Uhm, anything happening in there? Cuz I really don't want this game to die out...

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 08:23
Yuppers!

Don't worry people ... It's still going ... just haven't been online much.

I'm currently fixing a few bugs with the AI. They seem to be ignoring everything I code them to do atm ... getting there.

But like a few of you said, a bug free game is worth the wait ... Errm ... I hope this is worth the wait.

Don't think there's any chance of me dropping this one for a while, I'm enjoying building it way too much.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 04:22 Edited at: 4th Sep 2004 04:23
Cool

Quote: "But like a few of you said, a bug free game is worth the wait ... Errm ... I hope this is worth the wait.

Don't think there's any chance of me dropping this one for a while, I'm enjoying building it way too much."

I'd say it's worth the wait Espc. considering you're actually doing to finish this

btw, what method are you using for the AI? I always wanted to know how to code AI for stuff like this... But if it's a trade secret, I'll understand

Cheers!
Hawkeye

edit: had to fix my quotes, I forgot the ] in [/quote

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2004 11:56
The AI in this is quite strange ... Basically they run around the map attempting to explore it all ... if they come close to an enemy, they'll stop the exploration and charge at them. I haven't done combat for them yet, but if they get to close, they either jump over the other character, stop, or if they're getting hurt they'll run away (not yet implemented). I try and avoid using the rnd command as much as possible, so that the AI react to things going on around them, rather than doing something picked randomly from a list. Of course there are some random elements in there ... otherwise it'd become too predicatable.
It's difficult to explain how to code the AI because it's different for every program ... it depends on the way movement is handled and what kind of things you can feed into the AI character so they have a rough idea of where they are. For instance, in my program I have the AIs read the map array and look for safe places to run and places that can lead to unexplored areas.
If they just ran off a ledge, they can check if the fall will put them in the water, and if so perform a last minute double to get back to safety ... that's when you plant a fireball in their face to blow them further away .

Argh it's getting late ... it's nearly dawn ... I should be going. Adios ... next demo coming soon ... AI's and possibly simple attacks.

Blame it on INSANITY!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2004 09:11 Edited at: 6th Sep 2004 09:13
Quote: "It's difficult to explain how to code the AI because it's different for every program ... it depends on the way movement is handled and what kind of things you can feed into the AI character so they have a rough idea of where they are."

Yeah, I kinda figured that... But I always like to have fresh ideas It's really kinda intreasting, the bit about exploring... Really kinda adds a bit more "human-ness" to it. It's really nice to see a game that's trying to break the onmi-bot type AI that you see alot

EDIT: Woops, kinda hit the "post message" button abit soon, there
Can't wait for the next demo I've still been playing that tech demo you gave us abit hack, and I'm really looking foward to the next one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:33:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:33:48