Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Idiot manufacturers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 21:26 Edited at: 24th Aug 2004 21:28
I just found out the hard way that manufacturers are dumbasses, when I bought this PC (the 3ghz machine) I had a radeon 9800 pro gfx card in it, after a while it started to crash a lot and then wouldn`t run 3d software at all without crashing, I tried it in my other machine and it had the same problems, so I threw it and bought a Nvidia card, that ran fine for the last few months then started crashing, the other evening (night before last) it quit on me dead, I opened the case and it was like an oven in there, obviously overheated, tried to run it when it was cooled down but no joy, dead as a doornail, so went down to PC shop and bought me another GFX card (Radeon this time since they run cooler) and a seriously massive GPU heatsink that sucks air out of the case, MUCH better, noticed that CD`s are no longer Vwarm when removed from drive etc, internal case temp is much lower, it never showed as a problem with the cpu since that has a fancy silent air cooling system that uses it`s own air ducts, basicaly, a miniATX case is too small to house a seriously powerfull machine and remain cool, next week I will get myself a full size case and a mobo adaptor rail, IMO mini ATX are just fashion statements, no use for serious work, the manufacturers must have known it was near the limits of what they could put in the case and they didn`t add any extra case fan or anything, idiots.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 21:34
Full stops are you friend

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 21:38
So are Line Breaks.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 21:40 Edited at: 24th Aug 2004 21:42
There was no need for any full stops in that post .

EDIT: Who the *uck cares, why are you trying to start an arguement?

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 21:50
He'll know David T/Exeat were only pulling his leg... Mentor's pretty cool imho.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 22:05 Edited at: 24th Aug 2004 22:10
I am that fired up over the matter that I wouldn`t have stopped to breath if I was reciting the post , thats my third GFX card in about 8 months, they must have been slowly frying in there, I`m sure you could work out when to inhale while reading that post (I KNEW you guys had to read out loud .. it`s not just that your lips move ) , LOL, reposted and edited for those that need instruction on when to breath

I just found out the hard way that manufacturers are dumbasses, when I bought this PC (the 3ghz machine) I had a radeon 9800 pro gfx card in it, after a while it started to crash a lot and then wouldn`t run 3d software at all without crashing, I tried it in my other machine and it had the same problems, so I threw it and bought a Nvidia card.
the new card had ran fine for the last few months then started crashing, the other evening (night before last) it quit on me dead, I opened the case and it was like an oven in there, obviously overheated, tried to run it when it was cooled down but no joy, dead as a doornail.
so off I went down to PC shop and bought me another GFX card (Radeon this time since they run cooler) and a seriously massive GPU heatsink that sucks air out of the case, MUCH better, noticed that CD`s are no longer Vwarm when removed from drive etc, internal case temp is much lower.
I never got any warning from the CPU sensor since the CPU has a fancy silent air cooling system that uses it`s own air ducts. basicaly, a miniATX case is too small to house a seriously powerfull machine and remain cool.
Next week I will get myself a full size case and a mobo adaptor rail, IMO mini ATX are just fashion statements, no use for serious work, the manufacturers must have known it was near the limits of what they could put in the case and they didn`t add any extra case fan or anything, idiots.

is that any better guys? , now!, back to replaying DoomIII (in god mode this time) I want to study some of the FX close up

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
Mini ATX cases suck.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 22:55
Ill take the other 2 GFX cards if you dun need them anymore

Gratz on getting your machine working

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 23:03
Quote: "EDIT: Who the *uck cares, why are you trying to start an arguement?"

Wow, someone took our comments a little too seriously! o_O

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 00:52
@RP gamer: feel free to fish around in the bottom of our dustbin, but they is dead anyway (and the first is long gone), like I said, I tested em by placeing them in the other machine (cos my heart was thumping at the thought I might have had the 3ghz machine die on me), but at least this new setup makes everthing run cooler, the HD`s may last longer now they stopped glowing <jk>

Mentor.

Mini ATX cases suck.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 01:07 Edited at: 25th Aug 2004 01:13
Quote: "There was no need for any full stops in that post "

Ah, Location : France.

The only stops in France are tractors across the dock when somebody doesn't get their own way.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 02:14

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont think i'll ever be buying a manufactured pc ever again. i build this pc myself and it hasnt crashed in the time ive had it, not once, and its even windows XP SP1

now i realise how simple it is, and how much cheaper, if i need a pc ever again, i'll be making my own.

Anomaly
Years of Service
User Offline
Use a program that moniters the heat.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Or put a monitor on the side of your computer with a line graph that monitors heat.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 19:21
I made the 2ghz machine myself, but I was a little leery about the cost of all the components for the 3ghz machine, so I decided to buy a profesionaly made one that would be all ready to go and would have proper cooling, correctly matched HD`s, RAM etc , so much for that theory, back to self build for the next upgrade.

Mentor.

Mini ATX cases suck.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
anomally has the right idea. get motherboard monitor.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 03:37
with the extra cooling it`s plenty cool inside now, I noticed it ran quite hot but assumed the makers knew what was safe, obviously they didn`t, the current GPU fan sucks air from inside the case and blows it along a vaned heatsink (the size of a brick sliced in half lengthways) and out of the back, it makes a fair draft too on full power (it has a switch for silent or full cooling...guess where I have it set).
Actualy the FX5200 has a far bigger heatsink than the Radeon 9800 had when I got it, the official cooler is about the size of a £2 coint with a dinky fan in the middle, yet this add on thing is recommended for radeon pro cards, I guess everbody tries to cut costs and anyway the users gonna be the guy buying another card a few months down the line and thats gonna be all to the good for them.

Mentor.

Mini ATX cases suck.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 10:11 Edited at: 26th Aug 2004 10:12

One of these babys is perfect for temp monitoring. I love my case .

Edit (sorry about quality.... POS old digital camera)

Specs: AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, 17 inch flat screen, and 1.5 MBIT

AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:27:26