Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Am I too stupid for DB?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am really frustrated! Some things work well, other things which should be easy just don't work!

The code below works, unless I uncomment it to make the function. Then I just get a black screen! Is it just me?

Making a cool sig is just too much pressure for me right now.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 03:23
Read up on the SYNC, SYNC ON/OFF, and SYNC RATE commands. Placing a SYNC before the wait key should force the program to update the display.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 04:50
No, not too stupid. You're trying new things, which always ends up in frustration at first. Once you realise the quirks of the particular commands, you move on quickly again.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Radio Check
Years of Service
User Offline
Turns out I can't have my "dim" statement inside the function.

I have pulled out all my beard on the left side of my face.

I thought this was supposed to be fun!?!?!

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 06:28
it is, but not if you take it seriously and decide you MUST do this or MUST get that done, my hardrive is just littered with snippets and umpteen versions of bit, bobs and thingys I never finished or lost interest in.
Yet I can write a program or game if I want, I just like to try out ideas, one of the last things I wrote took the positions of nearby stars from an astronomical catalogue file off the net and drew the local region of space in threeD, then it looked for any stars that where opposite sides of the sun, so if one star was sending a signal to another then it would pass close to the solar system and we could work out if any of the candidates from the SETI search where in that list, only took a couple of days to test and get working, no use to anyone but me, but I enjoyed making it and I could have been famous if it had found anything.
just stop expecting to do great things with it straight off, relax and you will find it far more enjoyable, make a polititian shooting game, or a fps with the tellytubbies as enemies, or maybe make a model of the big brother house and then populate it with people you would like to see in there or something, you don`t have to write the next major MMMMMporg (or whatever they call em), just make what you want to make, not what you think you should.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 00:47
You have to remember that programming is like speaking another language, and often, like filling out an employment form in that other language! You have to put certain things in certain spots, say things in certain ways, and have a working understanding of the dialec that you're speaking in all at once...

This can be frustrating we know, we've all been there. Though with practice and patience, it does become easier. Some even discover they like it and can be reasonably sure the fool machine will do what they want on about the fifth try. (No one gets it the first time.)

So don't give up! Just take it slow and easy...
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Radio Check
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Believe it or not, I have been programming since 1980 when I learned basic and fortran in college. I have been complaining about programming since then too.

I never have done much with any of the languages I learned, partly because I had to work but mostly because I just played with it.

But now that I am (semi)retired, I find that my brain is slightly ossified. I wish that I had the enthusiasm of youth with the time and discipline of age.

I spent most of the morning trying to get a sprite and an object to show up on the same page. Maybe tomorrow.

Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 18:52
Nobody is too stupid for programming, especially DB. The only people who can't learn DB are those who don't want to, or can't be bothered. If you keep your mind on it, then you can eventually accomplish anything. I am.

Simple.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:31:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:31:49