Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bad post names...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 16:42
I guess this is more of a rant (which is why I put it here), although if any body reads this, I hope it may at least have a minimal impact.

I have noticed on this forum, expecialy in the Newcomer forum, many posts are labeled "Please help me!!". I know this is not just on our forum, but rather almost every forum out there, but it is particularly damaging here. DB is a very difficult program (I know, as I am a noob too), and people are going to have a lot of questions. As we always say, "Use SEARCH first!". The only problem is that when all these people ask questions with a title like "OMG! Need help with code!", no one will ever get any more help from it!

One of the main functions of the Newcomer, DBC, and DBPro forums are to help people with problems. But, the other function is to create a vast archive of questions and answers that can be easily searched. When someone asks a question with a title like that, no one will ever find it and get the answer to there question. So, they will then ask it again, thinking it is a new question.

I know some of the reasons why people do this. I know that people think that people will open and read it just to see what it is abuot, then they will probably provide an answer. I know, because I used to do it too! But, this is a very active forum, and someone will answer your question. And then their answer may be able to answer another person's question down the road. And another. And another. And another. You get the picture.

I know this will not fix the problem, but if this post maybe changes a few post titles, then it was worth the time! Hope this helps!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 18:25
The root of the problem is that people don't read the rules and FAQ at the top of the Forum:

Quote: "4) Please be verbose when asking your questions! Please dont post with a thread title "HELP ME!!!!" instead, try and be more informative, for instance "Please help me with functions." It is also a good idea to post some of your problem code and your system specifications so we can have a better idea of what is going on.
"

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
*shrugs* wotcha gonna do?

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:46
I know, I was just hoping some folks may read this and figure that they better post with correct names!

Or mods could inforce the rule better

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 06:04
My favourite sayings

The edit button is your friend.

Google is your friend.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 06:07
I (and others) allready suggested to get the ability of changing your own thread's titles or even to be able to delete them.

- Mind the gap -
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 07:23
I vote to direct everyone who makes threads with stupid names to my Emoticon Guide 2004

Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:12
Well if you see a stupid post name
1)Don't read it
2)Don't complain because the poster will learn that kind of subject doesn't get a response

Btw, db is probably the easiest computer language to learn aside from html

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:56
A request for a 3d cockpit:

Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:59
Good eye Quoth! LOL

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 15:40
Where could you?

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:27:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:27:10