Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro online version questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'd like to create games for fun and seems like dbpro is what i need. ATM i'm downloading the trial version to check it out before churning out some cash.

I just have a few questions for you

1 - for a noob would you recommend getting the online version wich is cheaper or should i go for the box version (for the extra material) ?

2 - is the included documentation sufficient to realisticaly start or should i plan on buying the big book on db (and others if they exist) ?

3 - being an rts fan, i'm just wondering if you guys believe that this type of game can be seriously made with dbpro ? If it can, could it be playable online and could i make some sort of battle.net type of lobby for the players ?

of course i'm not planning on doing this right off the bat but it's a goal i'd be amming at in the long run.

thx for your help
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 05:13
1. I try to get any boxed version unless online is cheaper...
2. Depends if you already know BASIC - if not, might be worth getting some from a library (saves you money).
3. These things depend on how many people you can get to design the graphics, story, networking system, UI, AI, music and sound effects.

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Noobax
Years of Service
User Offline
thx for your response, should i buy dbpro i think i'll go for the boxed version as i have known a bit of basic a few years ago but think i'll definatly need some docs

thx
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 23:10
1. For me, and because I bought the Classic version first, I'd suggest the boxed edition if possible. While I first started using Basic way back before PCs, having the manual for DB next to me has proved itself invaluable. Sure, the on-line help has most of the same information, but it's harder to "flip through the pages" in the on-line help when you're looking for something.

2. Well, I don't know. It really does depend on if you have any previous Basic experience and are the kind of self starter person to pudge around with things until you understand it. According to the forums there have been mixed reviews on the DB book, mostly because it's for DBC (my version) and not Pro, so some examples don't work "out of the box." When learning, it'd drive me nuts to have to keep converting code into Pro from the DBC just to get the samples to run.

3. Well, judging from my experience thusfar (I've only used DBC a few months now) I think it could make a good rts, but the host machine might need to be pretty advanced. Some of my friends who have older units have complained my compiled code runs a little slow for them, but that can be adjusted somewhat. Granted, it's not as fast as C for example, but a heck of lot easier to code imho.

So there's my two cents worth, use your best judgement.
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:24:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:24:22