Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bootleg NES System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 02:42 Edited at: 27th Aug 2004 02:45
I was at the mall this past weekend in Nashville, TN, and I came across a kiosk that was selling the games Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers, and Tetris.

I purchased the system for $65. It proudly displays "Made in China" on the side.

On the cover of the box was a very misleading picture of Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan fighting with Darth Maul, and another picture of a jeep driving through a mountain terrain. When you get it home and hook it up, it is nothing of the sort. It is an 8-bit Nintendo system that is completely encased in a Nintendo 64 controller.

It comes with 80 games, which are all put on one cartridge. To sell these games is illegal, because the company that made this product is not Nintendo, and they don't give Nintendo one penny. You can tell, because it is falsely advertised from the beginning (with pictures from Star Wars, etc). Anyway, how they get around this legality, is they "give" you the games for free, and you are just paying for the console.

They slipped the ROM with the 80 games on it into my bag as I left. It was not in the box that contained the console itself, and that is how they do it. Total bootleg!

It even comes with a gun, so you can play Duck Hunt! And one of my favorites, you can play Cooperative Tetris with another person - brilliant!

Just last night, I was teaching my sons to play Super Mario Brothers 1 on this magnificent bootleg system, and it was good for them to learn the history as the actual game was on our screen - old colors, old sounds and all!

Here is the official website:

http://superjoy3.com

But an even bigger bootleg is this one game on there called "MC Mario". Somebody made this complete game putting the Super Mario Brothers 3 Mario character into a game with Ronald McDonald! It's almost blasphemy!

Anyway - if you happen to see one in a store near you, and if you like 8-bit NES games, check it out!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! There's a stand at the mall here where a bunch of suspicious foreign guys are selling the same thing! I wonder if nintendo knows?

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 03:53
Here is a link to the McDonalds/Mario game I mentioned above, so you can see it for yourself!

http://greggman.com/edit/editheadlines/2003-08-14.htm

How bizarre...
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 04:12
Just like "Arcade Action"

http://www.telsell.com/shopping.asp?UID=03052212364447&CNT=NL&LAN=NED&MN=PR2750#
(You can press on the word "Hier" for the tv-commercial)

BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats interesting. But what can nintendo do. its hard because theres so much piracy out there lars ulrich tried to fight it and he did pretty good but its not enough. EVERYONE RISE UP!. Or not. i think that nintendo should re release the ninendo! as like a retro thing. they made gba games but its not the same.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:43
*sigh* I think most countries need heavier anti-piracy laws as well as defining exactly what rights a person has online. Nowadays it's all just getting out of hand.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 05:45 Edited at: 27th Aug 2004 05:47
Quote: "lars ulrich tried to fight it and he did pretty good but its not enough."

What did he do?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 09:00
He largely shut down Napster, I always thought he was a pretty cool guy, maybe still remembered when Metallica was an underground band and having people willing to steal your music would be the ultimate accolade. But no, he's just a drummer in a commercial rock band who write theme songs for Tom Cruise movies.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 10:22
Quote: "
But no, he's just a drummer in a commercial rock band who write theme songs for Tom Cruise movies.
"

You arrogant little ass..

BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Man I Like Metallica. i agree with lars
Quote: "But no, he's just a drummer in a commercial rock band who write theme songs for Tom Cruise movies."

lol. Megadeth did duke nukem. you gotta do a movie/game theme.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 03:03
Quote: " Hey Man I Like Metallica"

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 03:11
Ummm... my friend has a Nintendo 64 controller thing, it needs no cartridges and has 1000's of games on it, from atari to nintendo to super nes. I forget what it's called, it also has a gun for Duck Hunt. But they bought it totally legally at Sam Goody, with no "slipping" of cartridges.

Weird.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 04:41 Edited at: 28th Aug 2004 04:59
LOL these things are all over the place, they even advertise em on the shopping channel, Atari do one of their own packed into a retro Atari joystick, theres a guy down our local market sells one that looks like a playstation controler with over 200 games on it, theres one looks like a small console with a joypad attached that boast 500 retro games, they are everywhere, I even considered buying one (for that retro rush), but I have a stack of commercial emulators and legal cd rom collections (see the budget shelf in PC world or Game) so I am pretty much sorted for nostalgia, its amazing how many games they get on these devices though, although you have to think a lot of the realy old games where 16 to 64k, you could get a lot of software into 1/2mb of rom.

Mentor.

PS: just from one store
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=99435&Trail=C$cip=16866>C$cip=16877>C$cip=16880&categoryId=16880
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=104277&Trail=C$cip=16866>C$cip=16877>C$cip=16880&categoryId=16880
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=110130&Trail=C$cip=16866>C$cip=16877>C$cip=16880&categoryId=16880
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=110521&Trail=C$cip=16866>C$cip=16877>C$cip=16880&categoryId=16880
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106161&Trail=C$cip=16866>C$cip=16877>C$cip=16880&categoryId=16880

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 04:55
There is a machine in one of the pubs in town that has its own version of practically every 2d game you can think off. It's proberly only a matter of time before they start porting them for the mobile phone market.

shrink those dbpro exes
Create patches for your dbpro games
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 01:52 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2004 01:53
I just read on Gamasutra.com that Nintendo is now cracking down!!!

Quote: "

Nintendo Fans Thwart U.S. Mall Pirates

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington has issued a temporary restraining order against the import and sale of Asian-manufactured 'TV games' containing counterfeit versions of Nintendo games, which are being sold at numerous shopping malls.

The consoles plug directly in television sets and are often shaped like Nintendo 64 controllers. They contain 60 bootleg versions of popular NES titles such as Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. The products are marketed variously as “Power Play”, “Super Joystick”, “Super Joy”, “Power Joy” and “Mega Joy II".

Nintendo of America filed the action against two companies, its officers and employees, after receiving tips from more than 400 loyal fans. In response to the specific court order, U.S. marshals will seize the counterfeit systems at shopping mall kiosks in the western Washington area. It's likely that similar actions will follow in other states, though, since counterfeit 'TV Games' have been increasing in availability in recent months, with many sightings up and down the East and West Coasts.

In relation to this, Nintendo is supporting numerous federal criminal investigations and US Customs has seized tens of thousands of the infringing devices upon their entry into the country, all of which are assumed to be headed to malls across the United States for illegal sale.
"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=4488
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 05:03
Hey, I bought one just like that, except it was called a "Polystation", and looked just like a... (must I say it?)... playstation. Then I went duck hunting for a while. On the box was written things like "32-bit graphics!", "1000s of games!", etc.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 09:52
hehe i share the same birthday with lars ulrich, I didnt like his actions regarding napster so I wont buy any metallica songs and download them muhaha.

In australia we have the Arcade Action system being sold on the morning tv chat shows by a couple of british guys.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 16:46
Sorry to revive this post, but I just saw this "Power Player" at two different malls this weekend. I've talked my wife into letting me spend the $50 CDN to purchase it

The box claims to have 76,000 games, but apparently there's around 80 original with tons of different variations on them.

It's exactly the same kind of box that TobyQuan mentioned above. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow before the Nintendo police find out about the sale!

I don't see the problem with this. The games are so old, and I've tried finding an original working NES to purchase but to no avail. If Nintendo produced an NGC disc with a bunch of retro games I'd totally go for that, too

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Metallica wins the prize for record past coolness to present lameness ratio. Formerly held by Sean Connery.
Gnarf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2004 15:50 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2004 15:58
My cousin bought this thing long ago, and his came with 1 million games. They were all NES imports like Contra 1, some Mario games, shoot out games, etc. And it was a blue N64 controller. Despite the fact that it had 1 million games, it only had about 80 and the rest were the same games spread randomly throughout it. The thing is really cheap though, my cousin plugged it in and it just make a couple of electric noises and burned out, literally, smoke was rising from the controller. That was like the 20th time he played it though.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2004 18:41
$65? Wow, you got ripped off.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 11:26
I've seen this before, and it was fun, and I bought it for 30 bucks

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
---Woody Allen
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 00:20 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 00:21
Man, I was just at the mall last night, and I saw this same thing again!

I told the vendor that I had read about these in the news, and he said, "Really? How come?"

I told him that I heard these were illegal, and he said:

"No, they are not illegal. Nintendo doesn't own the copyright anymore because these games are so old".

If you really think about it, what he said doesn't hold any truth. Copywritten material doesn't just "expire" when people forget about a product.

I'm sure that in time, this will all be settled in Court, and Nintendo will win.

Truthfully, I bought one of these machines. I loved it, because I was able to show my kids the classic 8-bit systems. I really think that Nintendo should realize the potential here. Remember, Atari is re-releasing one of their old systems this christmas seasons. Nintendo should do the same! TONS of people would buy it!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134442
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 01:52
I thought copyrights did expire? Music has different copyright length in different countries. There is a problem as some of Elvis's old songs are approaching this boundary and people are concerned his songs will be ripped off royalty-free!

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 02:57
Here is some info I found:

For works originally created by a natural person on or after January 1, 1978:

These works are automatically protected from the moment of their creation and fixation in a tangible medium of expression and are ordinarily given a term of protection equivalent to the life of the author plus 70 years. If the work is one created by two or more joint authors who did not create it as a work made for hire, the term lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author's death.

Quoted from http://www.ivanhoffman.com/expiration.html

--------------------

I don't think that the author of "Super Mario Brothers 1" has been dead for 70 years! It seems to me that for this bootleg company to say "Nintendo doesn't own the copyright anymore because these games are so old" seems very suspicious, and in no way legally accurate.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:44 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 05:45
Nintendo has to catch up, as Tobias has already stated. I went to Future Shop last night and saw about 6 or 7 different kinds of legit controller game units that plug into the TV! Namco, Atari, Intellivision, and even Spongebob Squarepants had their own controllers with about 6 or 7 games on each. What a cool industry!

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:49
lol i remeber a thread just like this it started otu the same way and got almost identical responses lol i migth edit this post and post a link to it if i find it

http://free-space.myftp.org for free ftp
website hosting and e-mail 60mb for ftp/webste 70mb for e-mail
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 07:37
My dad and I found one for intellivision at a truck stop, was pretty neat

Song of the whenever i feel like updating it....
Man in a Dress, by Stew
Dylnuge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 12:01
Quote: "The box claims to have 76,000 games, but apparently there's around 80 original with tons of different variations on them."

Yes, on the website it says the same thing, but the bottem "full game list" has 125.

I hate piracy, and BTW, emulators and ROM's and warz are also piracy even though they are free.

Tranzerk Technologies Current Project: Action Bum (credit to Raffael Coronelli)
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 12:21
@Dylnuge

I believe that you are correct about emulators and roms being illegal. Yes, they say you must erase them after 24 hours, but I would believe that less than 1% of the people actually do that...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 13:19
Quote: "Yes, they say you must erase them after 24 hours"

and the fact is, that's a load of *** anyway

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 19:43
haha yeah i ha da thing like that once, it said 30+ 3d arcade games, and had pictures from sony games on it, when i got it home it had 1 level from like 30 nes games on it. i laughed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:21:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:21:56