Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Totally Confused

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I purchased DB Pro some time ago now, but never really got into it, due to real world issues taking precedence.

I've returned to trying to learn the language now, but I seem to be experiencing some really frustrating problems...

basically, pretty much anything I try to compile and run, doesn't work- but it seems to be only certain things that cause a problem...

for example, if I type

then that works without problems... if I try this, however

then the compiler seems to run, but nothing happens... the program just crashes.

I seem to get the same problem with the included examples too... if I run the "room demo" directly from the exe, it runs ok, but when I load the source code into the editor and try compiling and running it from there, the same thing happens- the compiler runs and then it just crashes. I'm not getting any error messages, so I have no idea what the problem could be.

I've also had problems running the CSMImport dll example... I just get a black screen with the mouse pointer showing, and the Advanced Terrain example... again, I just get a black screen.

When I first started using DB Pro (several months ago now) I wrote a very simple database program, which works fine, whether I run it from the editor, or directly from the exe... I'm very confused

I've tried re-installing DB, and updating it to version 5.5, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really frustrated... I don't recall having these problems when I first used the software. Has anyone got any theories as to the problem? Am I doing something really stupid?

DBPro, Windows XP, P4 512m RAM, Radeon 9000

"You have to be 100% behind someone to stab them in the back..."
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 02:48
see if this works:

sync on

do
a=screen fps()
set cursor 0,0
print a
sync
if controlkey()=1 then end
loop

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA - September 2004
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 02:53
Turn on the 3d backdrop, move a=screen fps() into your loop,
and take the wait key out.

You don't want to have to press a key before the loop is executed, and the backdrop will ensure your printing won't overwrite itself.
-JerBil

backdrop on

sync on

do

a=screen fps()

set cursor 0,0

print a

sync

loop
Up Up And Array
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick responses...

I've tried what both of you suggested, but I still get the same problem... the code I put up was only really to show the nature of the problem I'm getting, it's not important in itself... the first example compiles and runs without a problem, and displays "5" on the screen, but the second example seems to compile (the compile progress bar shows etc) but then nothing happens, no error messages, nothing... it just stops responding.

If it's because the code is wrong, then that's understandable, but like I said, I'm getting the same problem with the included example games... I ran "room demo" by double clicking the exe and it worked ok, I then loaded the source code into the editor and tried to compile and run it from there, and it crashed... I now can't run the exe directly either (I guess because the original has been overwritten with exe created when I compiled it)

I'm sorry, I can't explain the problem very clearly really.

Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
do you have the latest DBP, and IDE updates ?
Up Up And Array
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe so...

I'm using DB Pro v 1.055 and IDE version 1.0.9.2

I'm sure I didn't have these problems when I first started using DB (several months ago) so I'm wondering if it's more to do with my system, rather than the software itself, but I'm not sure what might be causing it

Up Up And Array
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just noticed that I can run things in step through mode... the debugger window appears and I am able to step through the code one line at a time, but the actual window the program itself runs in doesn't appear... I just don't understand what's going on.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 06:05 Edited at: 28th Aug 2004 06:07
run dxdiag, check for the latest driver updates for your videocard, re-install pro and do the updates (fixed a problem on my system), from the sound of it something does not like the updated DB, try running the examples after an install and see if they work with 1.01, then upgrade and check again, oh! just rememberd, as of 5.4/5 you MUST have dx9.0b, thats 9.0B<<that B is important, that could explain why the older .exe`s work but the updated ones don`t, if all else fails then try mailing TGM direct, they are normaly happy to help as long as you are not being a pain (I would strongly suggest you check if you have DX9.0b first).

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Up Up And Array
Years of Service
User Offline
According to dxdiag there are no problems anywhere, and DX9b is installed (I reinstalled that too, just to be sure!) but I'm still having problems.

I've emailed TGC Support now, so hopefully they'll be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong, until they respond I shall just continue to bang my head against the wall........

Thanks for your help anyway, CattleRustler, JerBil, Zokomoko and Mentor!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:31:22