Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Walking on a 3d surface

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK i have a problem but it never gets answered properly so i will try to phrase it a little differently.
I have 2 models 1)Character.3ds
2)level.3ds

The level.3ds is one model made up of different shapes, boxes,crates etc.Could somebody give me a simple code that allows my character.3ds to simply walk along the floor of the level.3ds and not sink halfway down it or walkthrough the various obstacles. I really am trying to avoid using nuclear glory aswell, PLease help .
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 23:21 Edited at: 28th Aug 2004 23:22
you need to use intersect object command.
here's how it works in a nutshell:

x#=object position x(player)
y#=object position y(player)
z#=object position z(player)

Tox#=object position x(player)-100
Toy#=object position y(player)-100
Toz#=object position z(player)-100

distance#=INTERSECT OBJECT(level, X#, Y#, Z#, ToX#, ToY#, ToZ#)

Intersect object sends a line between the first point (player), to the second point(level), when the line hits the object (level), it will tell you the distance between the first point(player) to the point which the hit occured (current ground height).
distance# will give you the distance between the player, and the "ground" of the level.

this will be good for walking on the level, but if you're talking about full collision with it, intersect will just be too slow.
search the forums for "collision".
Nic
Years of Service
User Offline
OK thanks for your help but im talking about the full on not being able to walkthrough objects that are above ground level,i want this so it saves the hassle of exporting objects seperatley and then working out their co-ords seperatly inside DB, By the way im using DB classic. im still a little confused
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't have DBC, does it have intersect object ?
Nic
Years of Service
User Offline
No there isno intersect object in DBC . PLease can anyone come up with an alternate solution, Someone must have a way for making this work or all games would be awful?! Im at wits end , been trying for months!
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2004 00:02
Sparky made a dll for DBC and DBP that allows you to use the intersect object command with speedy results.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=31051&b=5

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #
Nic
Years of Service
User Offline
thankx for the dll, but even so , that dosent help me with my probelm, as i still hav a .3ds level of varying heights..
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2004 19:43
Someone put something in code snippets - '133 Line BSP Collision For DBC' or something.

Realms Of Tutopia: Rise Of Evil v0.2
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 05:28
yes, the creator named it xcol or something.

syntax error??? it isn't an error, it is a feature

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:22:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:22:59