Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I think I need help...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 05:36
Ok... my little sister got "Animal Crossing" for Christmas. For all you who don't know, it's a Nintendo GameCube game, for kids. The problem is, IT'S GOT ME HOOKED! ARRRGG!!! The textures and gameplay are CRAP, but I can't stop playing it! HEEELLLP!
Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 06:19
Oki... i'll talk you down, slowly edge for the power button and depress it.

Try to avoid the Parkinson Movement and quickly pressing it back on to make sure the console is fully off. Once the game is off swap the GameDv for another game, suchas Mario Sunshine ... Immediatly next time you want to play you'll only be able to find Mario Sunshine and you'll be free

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 06:22
o_O take that animal crossing game... pull out a gun... shoot it while your sister tosses it in the air... replace the game with a new one...

OR

beat the game...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 07:44
I would, but THE GAME NEVER ENDS!!!
NEVER!
OMG

Oh, and I'm addicted to Mario Sunshine as well, but that's not a bad game. At least it has more than one musical score... I got Metroid Prime, maybe I'll use that.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 08:40
O_O my god raps... doesnt your sis wanna play that game?

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 14:02
Why the hell would you want a Gamecube anyway!?
Nostalgia with Gameboy consoles is what every decent programmer needs!

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 14:04
O_O the gbadvance rules... get an emulator and you can play those games at warp speed... O_O

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 14:47
GBA is the best... however I don't like the fact that you don't get your games in a decent protection box anymore AND that they still haven't put a light behind the screen...
You still need enough light to play! But... nostalgia...

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 15:01
yeh i want a backlit display... or sidelit like on my zaurus...

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 15:30
Ya, they said a backlit screen would suck too much batteries... They SAID that adequete light would work fine... well on some games it's hard to tell what their description of adequate light is...

Anyway, I don't want a gamecube, it's my brothers, and my sister does play, yes.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:38
Just some poor excuses to hide your total obession!

Yskonyn -
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 07:02
hehe ... you know hes right...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:08
lol ... ahh well ya know there is not a Beta of Perfect Dark2 (which Rare have no idea how it got leaked - LMFAO)

there are two versions GC and GBA, i'd suggest anyone with access to a DvD-Ram, GC Dv and a Gameboy device (like that save cartrige one from Gameshark) and a gameboy advanced game they're not to fond of should try to track down ... cause really I have a feelin' that when Nintendo finally get wind of it they're gonna just shout DOH!!

oh god, i swear BEST christmas ever ... those Rare guys make me laugh so much all the time

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:22
"Why the hell would you want a Gamecube anyway!?"

*cough*Metroid Prime - GameSpot Game of the Year 2002*cough*

*cough*Super Mario Sunshine*cough*

*cough*Zelda: The Wind Waker*cough*

*cough*Super Monkey Ball*cough*

*cough*Smash Bros. Melee*cough*

*cough*Animal Crossing*cough*

Wow... I really am not well today

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 19:58
Yeah so you managed to spit out some gametitles, now what?
Still haven't convinced me why the hell anyone would want a Gamecube. So?

Yskonyn -
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 20:36
"Still haven't convinced me why the hell anyone would want a Gamecube. So?"

>> You haven't played Metroid have you?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 02:26
^_^ raven you can buy blank carts.... and then rig a simple flash adapter to your computer... or buy one off of any decent warez site... =\ then you just get yourself a program... or really copy and paste... (shifty eyes) not that i would know anything about this O_O...

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 23:57
Darth, nope I haven't but all those PC games have made that there is nothing anymore I haven't seen yet, so, why the hell do you want a GC?

Yskonyn -
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 00:36
How about: It's the only system Shigeru Miyamoto makes games for? Would that help? And btw Vegeta, PD2, GC? GBA? If they're beta's, does that mean... They are still gona be released on both consoles, or not, in which case I'm going over to Rare HQ and get a copy of both games anyway, no matter what?

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 00:36
p.s Yes, I am obsessed

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 00:40
i dont see why anyone would want a gc either... =\ i have a comp... i can emulate anything...

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:08
exactly my point, puffy! PC blokes have seen it, done it, completed it, been there, bla bla bla.... there's just nothing new!

Yskonyn -
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:19
"i can emulate anything..."

I haven't seen fully working emulators for the GC, PS2 or XBOX.

Why do I want a GC? Because I can get games on GC such as Super Mario Sunshine which are never seen on the PC (ie. you don't get games like that on the PC) - same goes for Metroid / Monkey Ball / Smash Bros. You can't get even similar games for the PC.

Each system's games have strength and weaknesses, eg I would not buy an FPS game for the GC, because the PC has much better ones. But I can't get games as good as and in the same style as Zelda etc.

That is why I didn't buy an XBOX or PS2, cause the games are too similar to the ones I can buy for PC.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 10:21
I haven't seen fully working emulators for the GC, PS2 or XBOX.

^_^ i have... most people have trouble running them out of lack o power...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 04:13
there wont be an emulator for the GameCube. and the Xbox should have an emulator for it within the next few years. PS2? games should be playable with a playstation 2 emulator beore next christmas

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 06:07
o_O i know...

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 20:32
Still.... I don't know why the hell people would want a GC! You neither DarthPuff, right?

Yskonyn -
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 21:40
nope... ps2 all the way... that way i can play gta3 and gta vice city (drooools)...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 22:56
Ive got a dreamcast...i think Dreamcasts are great coz you can play snes roms with special software (that i have)

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 23:04
yup... o_O and you dont need a mod chip...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 16:47
ur right, i dont.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 01:05
Dreamcast was a well cool peice of kit, it annoyed me soooo much when Sega went out of business! Hard and software wise they made no mistakes with the DC. Just lack of funding for advertising I guess. Oh and the lack of public trust after the failures of the GG, MCD1/2, Multimega, 32X and Saturn... ok maybe it was partially their fault

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 01:08
Some Gamecube games are worth buying the console for and better than anything I've seen on PS" and Xbox (but I own all 3 anyway ) such as Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Monkey Ball 1&2 and import Zelda. Of course, you CAN run these emulated on a PC but lets remember that to make it legal you must have paid for the original hardware and software anyways Plus GC pads put Xbox and Dual Shock to shame in respects to comfort

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 07:44
Dreamcast was a well cool peice of kit, it annoyed me soooo much when Sega went out of business!

i noticed that sega does not put out there consoles for that long... o_O oh well... at least they still make games for other consoles ^_^...

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 22:41
Can anyone finally provide me with enough evidence to make me want a GC too?! All I've seen so far are repetitions of arguments...
Still don't know why the hell anyone would want one...
My PC is the multifunctional companion for ALL my gaming needs.

Yskonyn -
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 02:05
RE: I noticed that sega does not put out there consoles for that long
Thats because unfortunately no1 bouht the console I mentioned, and Sega made massive losses. Their successful consoles, the Megadrive/Genesis and MasterSystem 2 were supported for many years. (In Europe 7 years and 9 years )

Re: Can anyone finally provide me with enough evidence to make me want a GC too?!

Umm I'm not a Zealot, I don't care if you buy one or not, but from my humble perspective...

A Gamecube with Mario Sunshine only costs around £150 which for many people is less than the cost of upgrading their pc to reach the same kinda performance levels. Plus PC gaming fills up your hard-drive very quickly, and often PC versions of games don't take full advantage of your PC as the manufacturers want them to be comatible with low spec machines too, to increase sales. Plus unless you are using TV out you can realistically run the games on a much bigger screen.

I'm not saying the PC games market is bad, its just different. Consoles provide a much easier, more efficient and more reliable platform for quick arcade style games, and the PC is more suited to FPS (cos of the keyb/mouse combo) RTS, Business sim, Mod-able games, Online gaming etc.

Plus the Gamecube is probably the best console to own as well as a PC because it has many high quality EXCLUSIVE games through Miyamoto. As you've said you can run them on a REALLY hispec PC through Emulation, but thats illegal if u don't own the hardware anyway.

If you play Metroid or Zelda I think you might fall head over heals for them Mario Sunshine would be essential if it wasn't for Mario64 being incredible if you play it emulated in hi-res on PC

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 07:33
yeh your right ... sigh well i liked the sega consoles...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 14:19
Anyone know how well the XBox is doing ?

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 22:54
In the Uk around 100,000 PS2s are sold per week (or is it month -argh sorry) compared to only 20,000 Xbox and 15,000 Gamecube.

So - temporarily at least the Xbox has just over taken Gamecube, probably to do with the 4 game pack - Xbox + HALO (good) + Splinter Cell (pretty good) + JetSetRadioFuture (amazing) + GT2002 (average) all for 199.99! Pretty good value and its official, so thats in all shops

However until the week before Xmas the Gamecube was beating Xbox they kinda fight it out while PS2 and GBA run away with everything Shame really, that PS2 is the worst system, but best long term bet

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 03:16
Why? Why? The gamecube has so many games you just can't get for the PC (as previously stated). PS2/XBox etc, all have games that you can either get on the PC/GameCube, or get a similar title. No originality, sure HALO looks good, but plays like a dozen other PC titles. PS1 and 2 even have Half-Life. All FPS's or adventure games, sports sometimes. I've never found many original titles for PS2, PS, XBox etc. GameCube is actually very powerful, custom made graphics chip by ATI, powerful processor, Custom made mini-DVDs, etc. I love the feel of the controller as well.
Truthfully, I could convince you to buy it. If you play a couple games you'll probably want it. But I don't care whether you get it or not, if you want convincing, start your own thread

Currently I'm hooked on Super Monkey Ball by Sega... Animal Crossing is a better game than I had thought... I thought it was funny you could plant a shovel tree... money trees, fruit trees I can all understand. But a shovel tree?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 03:17
Oh ya, you can transfer and play NES games on from your GameCube to your GBA. Fun

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 04:20
^_^ i know... its fun...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 18:39
The PS2 and Xbox do have a few truly original games that are worth playing... The Parrappa, Dancing Stage, JetSetRadio and Panzer Dragoon games spring to mind. But you are right, they are few and far between, and are mostly sequels to orignial games

Nintendo does seem to be the last console manufacturer to try and push the boundaries of gameplay. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not, but fairplay to em. And you're right - Monkey Ball 1&2 are some of the most enjoyable games I've ever had the fortune to play (A nice 3d GBA conversion is on the way too!)

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 20:34
Still I don't know why.... nahhhh this is getting old! Nice to see though; all those pro-GC posts immediately as if I am comitting some religious offense or something!
You all fell for it, nice!

Yskonyn -
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 21:01
I only saw 2 ppl posting pro GC message, andlike I said I'm not a zealot and I said its selling the worst, so in that sense if u just want a console to last ya I'm not promoting it. What I am promoting is originality in games, and Miyamoto is exclusive to GC so I kinda don't have a choice about owning one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:06:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:06:25