Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is There Much Demand for and Educational Kids Game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I need your replies please... I am thinking about making an educational kids game. Like learn the ABC's or 123's. Do you think there would be much Demand for a program like that? For kids ages 3-6 or there abouts?

What do yall think? Something Simple with just pictures and audio.
Please give me any feedback you've got.
Ocean Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 11:42
Chances are that you would need to make it more complex and fun then just learning to count... If you did it in a fun, long way that hid the fact you were learning, and didn't force feed, there would be a market for it.

The problem with this is that the target buyers - parents of young children - don't usually go browsing about on the internet for shareware programs. You would need to make it commercial enough that you could see it at your local mall/store.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more then
1.5 tons. - Popular Mechanics, 1949
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 13:07
the internet is full of great research pages.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Demographics

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february02/kirriemuir/02kirriemuir.html

http://www.game-research.com/art_what_women_want.asp

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 17:05
Your biggest hurdle will be making it fit the curriculum. Yes, even 3 year olds have a curriculum these days.

My kids are 5 and 7, and I only look at "Key Stage" related products. (I'm in the UK)

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
NargRoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback all. And just a general question. If we want to sell a program we made. We can right? There is no agreements with the makers of DarkBasic that prohibit that right?
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 18:02
http://www.broderbund.com/

Most educational software are purchased by schools. And most kids are already playing better games.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 18:11
Weren't Broderbund the creators of 'Stunts' and other various games? And didn't they go broke and shutdown? Maybe that's a different company of the same name...

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 19:58
Yes, you can sell anything you make.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 20:41
last things kids want to do is get educated

Good thing everyone here is a figment of my imagination.

NargRoth
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree. Kids now a days hate school well I did anyway I was a , , and kid myself. So I am thinking if I make it fun like Ocean Runner suggested that kids will be able to play there games and learn something in the process.
No budget games
Years of Service
User Offline
How about you make some kind of version of the origional doom and the game lets you learn numbers (you blasted 12 imp's in the face)

NargRoth
Years of Service
User Offline
That might be fun lol Not sure if you would want little kids playing it but, that would be fun.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2004 02:21
@7RAVI5: You think that kids 3-6 are buying the games themselves? Their parents buy them, and sometimes MAKE their kids play it!

@Try this Again: I think that this is a great idea! You will have a built-in market (parents). But, I think you need to tackle something more inovative than counting or ABCs, because, as Arkheii said, there are already better games for that area. Also, Math is WAY over flooded.

A few ideas that I have:

+The importance of 911, and when to call

+General safety around the house

+Dinosaurs (Kids love 'em!!)

+Marine life (Kids love 'em too!)

+Solar system

Maybe try your hand at one of these. You can also make one game, then make another in a series. If parents like one, they will be much more likely to get another if it is presented the same way.

P.S.- Don't listen to the nay-sayers. There is a large market for these games, especially with main stream games getting more and more for adults. Just remember, don't try to go against the already existing subjects! Inovate! Have fun and I hope this helps!

NargRoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Tell you what those are some awesome ideas Sir Spaghetti Code! Thanks very much if anyone else has some cool ideas feel free to post em' Please! Thanks
Radio Check
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a -huge- market for games in the HomeSchooling community. ALl you have to do is keep the blood, sex, and drugs out and they will seek you out and buy from you.

Oh, you also have to make it go a little harder than public school stuff, probably start at an early age and go up faster than you think. So the little red caboose can start with ABC's, but by the end of the game you better be well into phonics, sentence structure and Spelling practice.

I got the "Hooked on Phonics" game on CD and my son was past it in three months. I don't think I will recommend their product.

Making a cool sig is just too much pressure for me right now.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2004 09:21 Edited at: 1st Sep 2004 09:23
@Try This Again: Thanks, I'll try to think up some more.

@Radio Check: Very true. Parents want to see progression!

P.S.- I was actually home schooled for several years, and yes he is right! Home schoolers have a serious lack of quality material short of text books. And we all know that kids can't get enough text books!

NargRoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome suggestions. Reply if you get any more K?

Thanks all!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:31:22