Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The time is upon me....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 06:52
Well, I need to face up to the facts. My computer is screwed and I have to format it! I know this sounds really lame, but I have not formatted a hard drive since Windows 3.11 for Workgroups lol. I have no idea where to go or what to do to format with Windows XP. I still have my system CDs that came with the computer. Can someone help me or give me a link to good instructions online? Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S.- I have not put up any WIP or anything due to not wanting to spread anything. If I can format it, I will then be able to show you my works!

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 06:54 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2004 06:55
Here's a link.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 07:01
Thank you for telling me how to log out! Now did you come in here to actually help me, or are you content to just bother me?

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 07:02
If you're worried about me be a security leak, you may want to know that I AM NOT ON THAT COMPUTER!

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you just reinstall windows.
(But i'm not sure so don't try it)
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 08:27
Just pop in the trusty Win 98 start up disck to run dos
And type format c:
Done

A bargain at 900000€ second hand
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 08:28
Just back up everything first and keep in mind that you won't get anything back. Make sure you've still got your Windows install disks, copy all codes for internet registered software, copy saved games to disks, etc.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
yeh- remember to put everything you want to keep onto either a second hard drive, onto a few cd writables or even USB sticks or floppy disks if you dont have that much to be backed up.

after that, put ur windows disk in, and at start up it'll say "press any key to boot from CD" hit a random button and voila

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 09:16
Thanks guys! Sorry for being a little short, Ilya, but as you could probably figure, I am not in the best of moods right now. I'm worried about moving any programs over, as my virus scan has shown that it has spread quite far. I'm only going to back up my serial numbers, then just let the rest go. Nearly 40gigs....

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 09:25
Yeah, I just did one of my laptops (to give to my parents in an initialised state). Just bunged in the XP CD, said reinstall, deleted the main partition from the menu, then just selected format option and reinstall. Sorted.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:14:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:14:30