Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / greetings - new to DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 04:57 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 08:45
I am new to DarkBasic Professional - going to be ordering the whole top package soon. I have looked at this website and am pretty impressed with all the tools available for the DarkBasic Pro programmer. Simply awesome!

Have a wonderful day!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 05:24 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2004 05:24
Erm... Bad idea, asking that That is the one topic that will get your thread locked in a hurry.

Basicly, download the demos and see for yourself.

EDIT: YEY! I beat the lock!

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
Crisp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 06:11
Hi

I'm new here too. I've just purchased dbp, and I plan to start learning it this week. I've got a strong backing in programming, so hopefully before long I can be making some fun games =) This seems like a great community, so see you around.

-Crisp
SeaScape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 06:38 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 08:45
hehehe

Hawkeye: I deleted the question, as I did not intend for my thread to be locked at all. Thanks for the warning though...

Crisp: This programming package looks awesome in my opinion and worth every penny. I just ordered the book for DarkBasic programming, and will be ordering the package very soon. Just waiting for an answer to a question I had for the developers of the program...
Crisp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 08:43
Yes, I thought it looked great too. My next purchase from here will probably be Cartography Shop, once I get proficient with the language and 3D aspects etc. The Dark Matter packages look great for someone like me too.

Since you told me about yourself, I'll tell you a little about me. I'm currently working as a developer for an ecommerce site, and my experience lies mainly in web technologies such as PHP,SQL etc, although I do have experience in other programming languages. I'm just a little rusty with them I successfully applied to go to University this year, but pulled out at the last minute in favour of travelling to Australia in the new year. Maybe then I'll settle down

Anyway, good to meet you, and I hope to see you around the forums. Maybe somewhere down the line, we can collaborate, since we are both new to the language but not computing - we should progress at similar rates!

-Crisp
SeaScape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 09:18 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 08:46
Quote: "Anyway, good to meet you, and I hope to see you around the forums. Maybe somewhere down the line, we can collaborate, since we are both new to the language but not computing - we should progress at similar rates!

-Crisp"

Hey Crisp!

How was Australia? I have always wanted to go there.

Initially, I think I am going to get the big package of programs including DB Pro. Saves me some money in the long run.

I would love that at some point in the future - keep in touch please. I have to put my programming skills to some use, so why not with my own software?
Crisp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 09:38
I havn't gone to Australia yet, I'm going in the new year I was going to buy the big package, but decided to dip my toe in the water of DBP before jumping in head first. Oh, and I built my system about 6 months ago, it's currently running at 2.5ghz and 512ddr, soon to be 1024 - so not too bad. Let me know when you're feeling confident with DBP, and as long as I am (hehe), I'm sure we can collaborate on a project.

Anyway, hi to everyone else here, and I promise to stop chatting away now

-Crisp
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2004 01:25 Edited at: 5th Sep 2004 01:27
heh, no problem... It really kinda sucks to have your first thread locked Nice to see you're making friends already! You don't sound like some of those n00bs we sometimes get... We've had a rash of
Quote: "I wanna get a team and make a MMONRPG! com'on d00dz, l37s g00!"
type of threads lately, but you sound like the good type

Just a guess, but I think DBP will come easy to you (both of you yous actually ). Those with some sort of programming background already really can work with DBPro, and you sound like both of you are experts already!

oh, and btw, crisp... If you don't mind working with, erm, slightly tricky interfaces and working around small limitations, there's pleny of free utilitys and apps that will do the job as well as commerical applications. Take DeleD for example. It may not have all the bells and whistles of CartoShop (like triggers, UV Mapping, etc. etc.) but if all you want is somthing that will make a simple .X level, DeleD is your app! Same goes for Pixla for texture making. But if you want a classy interface and hate having to work around limitations, the commerical stuff is the best. But, if you don't proticulary mind it...

Anyways, welcome! Have fun, and nevah stop learning!
~Hawkeye

SeaScape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2004 06:45 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 08:44
Quote: "heh, no problem... It really kinda sucks to have your first thread locked Nice to see you're making friends already! You don't sound like some of those n00bs we sometimes get... We've had a rash of

Quote: "I wanna get a team and make a MMONRPG! com'on d00dz, l37s g00!"
type of threads lately, but you sound like the good type

Just a guess, but I think DBP will come easy to you (both of you yous actually ). Those with some sort of programming background already really can work with DBPro, and you sound like both of you are experts already!

Anyways, welcome! Have fun, and nevah stop learning!
~Hawkeye
"

Hello Hawkeye,

Thread locked? I don't think it is...

That's funny... I won't type like that because I know better. Proper English usage forbids me to type garbage like that. hehehe Plus the instructor of the Composition course I just finished at university, would kick my rear end for writing like that. In the real world, you just can't type like that. hehehe

I was looking at the demo of DBPro last night with the DB book I just received yesterday. Nice, but the book is a little light in my opinion. Maybe I will write a more in depth one at some point in the future.

I like a lot of the features that DBPro has, and I think it has a lot of potential for me personally. I know a lot of programming languages (Cobol, C, C++, Java, PowerBuilder, Visual Basic), but I wasn't happy with trying to make a game in C++ or Java (uggh!). I also have REALbasic Professional, but this pacakage is more suited to apps not games. This is a common complaint with REALbasic. I think DBPro is far superior with all of its tools that are available. As you can see, I have a good structured programming background, so DBPro should be quite easy for me to pick up. The book will help here a bit.

I prefer structured programming, because I am a logical type of person. OOP is nice, but I am an "old school" type of programmer. This is going to be interesting, to see what I can do with DBPro...
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 05:59
Hi guys and welcome to the big friendly community that is the DarkBasic community.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:51
hi all. don't mean to sound unfair about your first post or anything, but this really should have gone in the off topic forum.

lol. hi.
hi. lol.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 07:30 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 07:30
Yeah, I know the thread isn't locked I just meant that it wouldn't be very good if it did, that's all.

Quote: "That's funny... I won't type like that because I know better. Proper English usage forbids me to type garbage like that. hehehe Plus the instructor of the Composition course I just finished at university, would kick my rear end for writing like that. In the real world, you just can't type like that. hehehe"

Joke, right?

Yeah, the DBP book is a little on the light, I think it was intended for people that hadn't ever programmed before. I *think* TCG is working on a book aimed at a higher skill level, but I'm not sure...

I tried C++ and Java for a while, and frankly I didn't like them. By the very nature of being capable of doing *anything*, they have to get complicated real soon in order to handle all of that stuff. DBP is designed for one thing that it excells at: makeing games. It can't do anything else, and I LIKE IT! There's nothing like being able to code a asteroids clone in one day instead of half a year

Structered programming is good, thataway you don't have too many GOTOs and GOSUBS for yer own good The only thing to remember about functions is that you have to declare all of your variables beforehand as globals so you can access them in the function. That's what tripped me up It gets too easy to just "forget" about declaring your variables when you don't have to.

And yes, this could have gone in off-topic, but nobody's locked it yet, so why bother?
~Hawkeye

p.s. sorry to seem pessmistic about locking, it's just my nature

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 06:30
welcome, some more grist for the mill , thankfully you don`t seem to be an uber`nube, (asks three questions, realises it means work and switches to asking for people to make "their" code work).
if you are familar with other languages you might find as I do that DB is a bit raw and quirky in places (and sometimes just plain weird), even so you won`t find a language quite as powerfull for fast prototyping that is so low cost, expandable, constantly updated and you can sometimes get to cheek the authors or take em to task
as an old Amiga/Amos (and GASP! Blitz) owner myself I can see that something like DB is going to appeal to you, Lee (DB lead coder if you don`t know), started life coding examples for Amos and Amos Pro, coming from the Amiga the lack of speed and flexibilty in windoze still amazes me after these last ten years or so of PC use, DB gives you back some of the old feel that you are in control, but I still miss a proper OS like WorkBench, just why with 3ghz, 800mhz fsb ddr ram and high speed hardrives it still takes up to 5 seconds to open a folder if you don`t open it often leaves me feeling rather confuzzeled.
welcome to the world of DB, the last bastion of the bedroom coder and old hacks like me that can`t bear to have to write two hundred lines of code to clear the screen ,thinks OOP`s is something you say as you fall over after one to many barley pops , and steadfastly refuse to learn another language, (4 is enough for anyone), to hell with structured programming and design documents ...I`ll make it up as I go along and be dammed to organisation LOL
I hope we see more of you about the forums, you seem the kind of level headed person we don`t get overmuch of that often, Welcome.

Mentor.

Ps: I don`t include myself in the level headed catagory...I`m totaly demented

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
SeaScape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 21:37 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 08:42
Hello everyone! I just ordered the DBPro box and the enhancement upgrade. I am holding off on the extra stuff until I get to do some programming in DBPro. I liked the demo a lot after trying it out for a few days.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 23:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 23:25:32