Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Another tune, bigger than your whole country ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 06:46
Ok, perhaps not country sized, but still a big funky roller packing plenty of punch. Check it out and let me know what you think. Fast funky drum'n'bass, with plenty of breakwork, melody and bass.

http://www.invisiblechainsaw.com/music/Fallout-BeatsGoDown.mp3

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 06:53
WHAT? Are you insulting my country? You think you're better than my country? Huh buddy? YOU THINK? WELL BRING IT ON!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 07:01
I'm bringing it!! Now it's brought!!!!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 07:38
Thanks for the comments. I think the mode while writing it was 'roller' originally. Not hard, but something that's good for dancing. Nothing ever goes as per the original idea. I think as I listen to it now, I get a general flow vibe, meaning I don't get a particular image from it.

Some of my tunes present an image to me, like Run Silent Run Deep just screamed 'submarine combat' as I was writing it, hence the name. Still does to me. Same with Jupiter (hinted at something collosus and shifting in space), and Scimitar was clearly arabic and kinda mystical combat oriented, hense the name also.

This one doesn't set up an image to me though. I think the MCing makes it more of a floor tune to me. Still, we all get different images from different art. That's one of the great things about it.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 10:29
I'd find it hard to set an image to it because the tune changes so darn much-- it's almost like it's three or four songs in the same genre, rolled into one. I know very little about this style of music so I don't have the knowledge to go into detail. It is a pretty fun track though.

Btw, are the vocals yours?

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 11:01
After picking up a item a person droped, im trying to catch the person to give the item back but the thing is im on a busy urban street filled with the confusion of everyday life, just when i decided to give up something makes me start again. Pretty tight track i like it, lol i'd call it Chase-X
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 21:10
I like it, but I was expecting more meat to the stabs, with a harder bass it would sound like more traditional DnB. I think the drums at the start are a little disjointed, like too complicated to follow or something - I like how you ended it though, song endings are always tricky but yours fits perfectly.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 22:10
Again - a very polished production from yourself. Everything about it is smooth. I'm a much bigger fan of this sort of DnB than the nose-bleed stuff that you sometimes hear. I've got a couple of questions though (as I'm constantly looking to get back into music production ):

1. Vocals from a sample CD, accapella or just ... some dude?
2. Is there a particular name given to your melody instrument - I know it's a synth, but it sounds like some kinda square wave with some light phasing. It's exactly the sorta instrument I'd try and recreate for an action/racing game.

I think the taxis are bulletproof
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 02:50
Cheers for the comments people. I'll try and answer the questions to the best of my slightly-tired-post-work-need-to-kip ability.

The vocals are by myself, indeedy. My music alias used to be the Twisted MC, and I wrote a few filthy hiphop songs, as well as did a handful of dnb tracks with full on MC rhymes. Nowadays, I just add a splash of vocals here and there for some colour.

Van B, I hear your comments and agree. It's not as hard, but that was the intention as I'm bored of mainstream hardstep, so much so that I would actually rather listen to house music, and I've been a dnb head sinse I was 15. So, I tend to move away from that, and go for melodic, hynotic, funky, lyrical etc. Only hard dnb I like is the really evil sounding bowel shakers, but alas, they are one of the hardest types of electronic music to write, and I'm still trying to do a successful evil choon.

Adr, tough question mate, about the synth, especially seeing as there are a few you could be refering to. The main bassline synth around the drop is quite a complex sound. Generated in simsynth with a few square waves and sinewaves and filtering, then bandpassed, then looped. Distorted more into a square wave with some chorus, and sweeping phase was only applied to the second warpy version. It's actually made of two elements, but I forget how I generated the other. I wouldn't like to tag the bassline synth with a name, as it's not really a square wave although it has many characteristics of one, it's just a lot more complex.

Zone Chicken - only problem with chase X is all dnb tracks sound like chase music. It's the tempo!

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 06:51 Edited at: 4th Sep 2004 06:54
lol yeah i know, same as all dnb music related to x and rolling as well, it was sorta a joke if you know what i mean or maybe my rave day's have had a bad influence on my thinking
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 11:34
I've not been able to listen to the track yet (I'm at work). Are you into Drum'n'Bass? That is my second hobby is producing! What program do you use (I'm into FruityLoops)? Well, hope to hear it soon!

"What is a game if not illusions stacked upon illusions?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:31:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:31:27