Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Basic MMMORPG's questions.. please read.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 09:56
Hello, I'm new to DB and before I go any further into DB, I just had 2 questions...

1) Can you make MMORPG's in DB? If yes, are there any limitations/restrictions? What are they?

2) I read this from another forum:
Quote: "First, Dark BASIC supports MMORPGS, just in worlds that can only hold about 250 people in each world."

Is this true?

Thanks..

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Listen don'w ask this, you'll start gettign flamed soon, but to answer some questions, it is possible to make an MMORPG in DBC(enhanced) and DBP however you'll find it will take years to accomplish and still won't be that good unless you have a huge team of 30 to 40 people, also you new too so it will take you along time to get to the ability to script an RPG (just like me) also don'ttry to make a team request because then you'll just be another stupid noob, and lets hope that doesn't happen, and maximum player, support well I can't help you there. Oh also there are alot of limitations to making one.

Got anime?I do.
Toshinobu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 10:19
I know MMORPG's take years to make, I'm only a newbie in DB, not in programming... of course i'm not gonna go around asking for who wants to help me at this point -_-

Thanks for responding... but u said there a lot of limitations to making one... can u name a few?

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 10:37
I don't think its right to flame a person for asking about possibilities of making an mmorpg. The number of players can be between 2 and 256. Not exactly massive, but a nice round number anyway.

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, start small.

Got anime?I do.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 10:50
I think the idea of making a small rpg for my friends and I to play together over the net is quite fun.

Infra-Dark
Toshinobu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 10:52
Quote: "I don't think its right to flame a person for asking about possibilities of making an mmorpg. The number of players can be between 2 and 256. Not exactly massive, but a nice round number anyway."

Thanks... One last thing, is there ANY way to expand the 256 player limitation? If so, how?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure but maybe paying for the Nuclear Glory Net Connection Library DLL online service, or what ever it is? Aura might know.

Got anime?I do.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 11:01
Server switching.

Infra-Dark
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to get off topic but nice avatar and sig...

Got anime?I do.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 11:19
I second that, they are pretty neat.

Infra-Dark
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 12:17
i belive you have multiple servers. I havnt really researched it but I belive basically you could have a central server, then 256 other servers could all be connected to that main server - the main server would have no space for clients but as all the other servers have just used one player to connect to the main server, that leaves you with 255*256 = 65,280 players.
Is that enough?
XD

p4 2.4ghz, 768ddr ram, Geforce FX 5200
Innovate, redefine, recreate whats in your mind. It isnt fate, you decide, only you can cross that line.
Toshinobu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 13:40
Quote: "Sorry to get off topic but nice avatar and sig..."

Thx

Quote: "i belive you have multiple servers. I havnt really researched it but I belive basically you could have a central server, then 256 other servers could all be connected to that main server - the main server would have no space for clients but as all the other servers have just used one player to connect to the main server, that leaves you with 255*256 = 65,280 players.
Is that enough?
XD"

I don't get it Can you explain it better please?

LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 15:07
Basically you have a connection server (or world server). Each other game server would connect to it as a user and pass it data. Then those 250 or so servers would each be able to have their own 254 (255 minus the one they used to connect to the world server) users connected to them.

See? Here's a rough depiction of what I mean.

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
JokerZ
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 20:35
You wouldn't write your server in DBPro anyway.
So the limitation on the number of simultaneous connections is a pointless discussion. Coz your client only is in DBPro and it doesn't care about any connection limits. it needs only one. maybe two if you are doing something funky.

You'd be better off writing your server in a C language derivative or in perl running on a unix box.

The client, sure you could write it in DBPro, but the server is an entirely different story.

Everything happens for a reason
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 00:47
Jokerz is right - you would have to write the connection code in something like C, and each server would have to be a dedicated T line running on a unix box soley dedicated to hosting this game. Your talking a LOT of money.

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't forget RPGamer, he's just wondering.

Got anime?I do.
cybernetic wraith
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends on if you want to use DirectPlay or not. If you have C/C++ codig experience then you could forget directplay and code a network dll to use winsock. I'm making a MMORPG in DB. Though I'd never write a server app in DB. I'm making my server app in C#.
GICO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 03:46
You are making an MMORPG????? COOL!

GICO

Give food, give give!!!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 08:07
Since MMORPGs are subscription based anyway you would probably be interested in Nuclear Glory. They have an option where you set up an account, the first couple of users are free, then once you get more people they pay a subscription covering your server costs, you just sell the game, and all or part of the subscription money pays off Nuclear Glory.

If you are really interested in eventually working up to an MMORPG, first start in small increments. Work your way up to a small RPG (when I say small, I mean you can walk around a place and get into battles and talk to people, nothing fancy). Then make a small multiplayer game, starting with a chat client, then moving up to PONG online or whatever. While you're working on this you can post here and we'll help you out with what you need. New forum attitude should be: MMORPGs are not impossible, they just take a long time.

Good luck, keep posting.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Zac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 00:43
Heh, im in a similar situation but i know exactly how ill set it up im going to use VB or C++ havent decided which yet to write a server application and a 3rd party dll for connecting and phaseing the information recieved by the server as for the world system ill make it 3d and tile based but the normal player sprite would cover 8+ tiles (would make it look less lame but still be ok)

the only problems im having are
1)man power - im only 1 guy and i have a few friends but im writing the initial engine alone
2)Money - i dont know where im going to get hosting money
3)I dont know darkbasic yet but im working on it
Zac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 00:44
Heh, im in a similar situation but i know exactly how ill set it up im going to use VB or C++ havent decided which yet to write a server application and a 3rd party dll for connecting and phaseing the information recieved by the server as for the world system ill make it 3d and tile based but the normal player sprite would cover 8+ tiles (would make it look less lame but still be ok)

the only problems im having are
1)man power - im only 1 guy and i have a few friends but im writing the initial engine alone
2)Money - i dont know where im going to get hosting money
3)I dont know darkbasic yet but im working on it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 23:30:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 23:30:10