Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt RPG Engine + Creator Tools (September 04)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 11:51 Edited at: 20th Sep 2004 00:28
Hi again.

Posting to let peeps know there is another version of my game engine to download and test. There has been quite a lot done since the last version so it's probably easier to show the readme contents.

You can download then demo from http://www.tyranntrpg.org/TyranntInstall.exe. The installer is now around 6mb.

README file:
changes between v0.16 and v0.17

New/Updates
* Updated the default maze size to 30 by 30 blocks.
* Change the combat grid representation so that it is a 3 by 3 grid instead of a 5 by 5.
* Updated auto map so that it can cope with the new maze size and modify the direction arrow so it now uses graphics instead of characters.
* Modified the fight arena to a 7x7 grid of the surrounding area.
* Modified the way doors are shown on the combat area to cope with new grid size.
* Added a maze start direction to the combat config file in seciont :maze:
* Modified the combat area drawing routine so that it doesn't draw areas the player hasn't seen.
* Added a proper distance calulation formula.
* Started new map for the example game based on the new size grid. Added 10 encounters.
* Added machine config display as game starts up.
* Added path finding routine to make sure that monsters do not appear places where they are not able to reach the characters.
* Added an option in the game config file so that the encounter text is spoken via text to speech if this option is set to 1.
* Added Event triggers based on skill or items in the encounter generator screen.
* Added Cancel and Save/Exit buttons to the encounter generator screen bringing it in line with the item and monster screens.
* Added the runtime for the skill based encounter trigger, now things like spot hidden checks can be done before an encounter.
* Added the runtime for the Item based encounter trigger, now characters will trigger events if they hold a specific item. (Can be used in conjunction with the skill trigger)
* Added locked doors to the Maze Generator.
* Added Key numbers (Used with locked doors) to the Item Generator to allow for locked doors to be opened.
* Added Runtime routine to handle locked doors and keys.
* Modified the sound playing routines to use one standard routine and add the sounds for attempting and unlocking doors. (Need better ones later)
* Added the complete first part of a story to this demo version of the engine. (Thanks to Trish for the Ideas http://www.creativehistory.co.uk)

Fixes
* Fix the combat grid which was placing the characters entry point in the wrong place.
* Fix generator screens and menus so that they dont cause unwanted button clicks from the calling screens.
* Fix a problem where the combat maze area would act strange if there was a maze or trap in the vacinity.
* Fix a problem where the monster stats were being ignored if put in direct and not as a dice formula.

-------------------------------

Changes between v0.15 and v0.16

New/Updates
* Updated the combat routines so they don't wait around if combat is over or the character cannot do any more.
* Modified messages in combat and added his/her based on sex of character.
* Updated monster damage module to give information if monster is killed or knocked unconscious.
* Updated the giant rat to make it a bit tougher (More HP potential)

Fixes
* Fixed the heal potion always saying healed 0 points.
* Fixed the monster generator so it no longer displays debug message.
* Fixed display bug where death or Uncons in the monsters health was getting merged with what was there previously.

-------------------------------

{Readme trimmed, get the full readme from the installer or the zip}

Below are various screen shots from the game...

[EDIT] Pictures will return later due to moving to new server [/EDIT]
Next the main engine screens and combat...

Character Generator

Main Game Screen

[EDIT] Pictures will return later due to move to new server [/EDIT]

Combat Screen

[EDIT] Pictures will return later due to move to new server [/EDIT]

If anyone finds any problems or has suggestions/ideas then please let me know.

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:16
Is there any chance you can put together a non-installer/zip version? I dislike using installers for demos.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 19:11
I will try to do one tonight, but the zip will be quite a bit bigger due to the compression used in the nsis installer is very good. Should hopefully have some music in one coming soon also.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 21:24
RAR would be fine too

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 03:35 Edited at: 9th Sep 2004 03:36
I dont actually use RAR at the moment, but i have created a zip file for you or anyone else to download. Click the below link to do this....

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

Let me know if there are any problems.

[edit]whoops, just to let peeps know the .zip file is just under 10mb[/edit]
Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 07:17
Thanks to IanM's testing I've now fixed a bug which caused it to crash while it was starting up. Basically if you didnt have SAPI 5 installed, it would fall over. This is now fixed and a new version has been uploaded.

Installer: http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe

Zip file: http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

Any problems then please let me know.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 23:11
Thanks for someone pointing out that some of the encounters are missing, I'll correct this tonight and upload a new install and zip.

Jas

----
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 06:22
Looks cool, but I usually don't try stuff out right away, I keep reviewing the posts more and more until I convince myself to download it. It's nothing against you, I'm just a freak about what I download

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 07:53
Hi, no worries. I'm currently trying to test (And get people to test) what I've currently done so i can try to get all the bugs out before going on to the next bit. Due to a lapse in me using the perforce source control system I managed to delete my installer file change before submitting it, hence it didnt habe the extra files I had added. Hopefully now it will contain all the correct files so the sample sceanario should now work better.

I've uploaded v0.18 again and this time is should have all the encounters monsters and items. (And also work as mentioned before if SAPI5 isnt present)

Let me know of any more problems.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 01:07
Hi there,

I've uploaded v0.19. This one has an attempt to fix a problem where background images dissapeared when a menu was displayed over them. It also now uses encrypted file blocks for the images and objects instead of keeping them in the exe. Again anyone with any problems, please let me know and i'll do my best to fix them.

New installer: http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe
New Zip file: http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2004 04:09 Edited at: 13th Sep 2004 04:10
After some feedback from people I've done some bugfixing and tweaking. The results of which are:

changes between v0.19 and v0.20

New/Updates
* Changed the character generator so that all the items were automatically equipped.
* Added some help messages before combat starts with brief instructions.
* Updated the monster move routine to make it move using the path finding routine.
* Updated the monster move routine so that if it cannot move towards a character it will try to move around as long as it doesnt get further away.
* Updated the monster move routine further so that if it cannot move around character it will try to move away.
* Modified the colour of unconsious monsters on the grid to make them easier to see.
* Modified attacking an unconsious monster and character so they are much easier to hit.
* Modified they way the combat arena is generated it will now generate a 7x7 grid around the characters start square with the start square in the middle.

Fixes
* Fixed a bug where the Psyche and Charisma values were getting incorrectly set duing the race mods.
* Fixed the Dog Teeth and snake Teeth weapons so that they are classed as weapons in the sample sceanario.
* Fixed a bug where the game would crash out if more than 6 monsters were generated for combat.
* Fixed a bug where characters could get trapped in by dead monsters, modified combat to take dead monsters off the grid.

I'm also going to start work on a game manual to help explain the different sections of the developer tools and the different sections of playing the game.

Version 0.20 can be downloaded from the usual places.

Any more suggestions and comments will be really welcome.

v0.20 installer: http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe
v0.20 Zip file: http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

If anyone wants to see how the game engine does things, they can set the debug statements in the game.tyconf file to 1.

:debug:
main=0
encounter=0
combat=0
character=0
steve=0
;

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 20:35
Hi, I've been working on doing a manual for the game engine as it is currently to help people use it. I've completed the character generation page. If people want to have a look it is on:

http://www.jsun.co.uk/html/character_generator.html

I'm going to start doing the Maze Generator next.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 00:27
Just to let peeps know, i've moved over to my new server this weekend so some pics are not available. It's also now no a new domain. http://www.tyranntrpg.org though the old one now re-directs to this address.

Any problems then please let me know.

Cheers,

Jas

----

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:44