Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Removal of team requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 22:40 Edited at: 7th Sep 2004 22:42
Hello,

Basiclly, I am asking for a vote on the removal of the team requests. All i need is a simple "yay" or "nay". And if you want to a reason you voted put that way, then go ahead.

PLease do not fill the topic with garbage. All posts please be releated to the voting.

Eric

EDIT: i forgot to vote:

Remove them, they are the drudges of society and one big idiot cluster. They draw the idiots and they spread from there.

AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, 512meg HYPER RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, http://www.liquidzsnake.dbspot.com/nFinityV.2.txt
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 22:47
I vote "no".

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 22:52
The thing is, there's probably people out there with great ideas or great talents that don't quite equate to game creation on their own - we just have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

How about if a team request gets deleted if there's been no new posts from the originator in a week. To tell the truth, if the team requests was left to those interested in teams, it would probably be a lot more useful. IMO if people leave the flaming alone and let the threads run their course, the dead team requests could be easily removed.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 22:52
I proposed some fixes to Rich and the other mods so maybe it will get better, I highly doubt the forum will be removed per se but I agree it needs a serious re-vamping. I vote NO

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA - September 2004
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 23:05
Hay! er... NAY!... Yay!... NO I need them, to get music for my games! Plus, everyone needs a laugh once in a while.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 23:06
Nay.

1) If the spam won't collect in the board, it goes to people's e-mail inboxes.
2) Some team requests actually work. ED, for example.

It's hard to find a system that's fool-proof, but there's got to be a better way to clean up that board without having to nuke it.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 23:12
Nay

same as above arguments...it's not perfect but it doesn't need to be wiped off the face of the earth...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:01
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:28
needs some dedicated mods there, to filter out the rubbish. should make a seperate forum, for the laughable ones

lagmaster - http://www.lagmaster.net was alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - was another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is still out!! somewhere
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:37
Like on the HTML fourms they have an oven for the posts in need of a flaming.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:42
Well all I can say is RPGamer is doing as good a job as can be expected in that mess of a forum. I have suggested some stuff to rich but havent heard anything yet - Involves form filling for the thread creator, and a mod approval before its posted publically.

might help

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:44
No. If you remove it, they post won't go away. They will simply trickle into every other board on the forum with even less organization than now.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:53
I like the idea about a form to fill out when making a post in that forum. Might be a bit more difficult to do though, cuz you have to disable the normal post form, and put in a custom one.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:54 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 00:55
Nay.

And with that, a tally.
Nay 12
Yay 1

Pretty much unanimous, huh?

@Manticore: Lol...a flamefest board, genius!

"You don't need a reason to help people."-Zidane (FFIX)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 00:55
That's another good reason. Back when there was no team requests board, crap like that just filled up the programming discussion forums. Of course, it could just be deleted...

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 02:50
Doing anything to that forum is a complete waste of time. There are very few people posting that are capable of leading a team and even fewer capable people looking to join a team.

it's cool to hate
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 03:30
Keep it.

I still think we should have a special forum for chosen members though. I know this is very elitest, but hey, that's exactly what I want to achieve. A forum where the only people in there have produced some solid work and are the db elite, and therefore, you can absolutely guarentee (almost) proper discussion, proper team building, proper developers.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 03:48
I vote no and instead support the ideas expressed above about improving the quality of the team requests forum.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 03:55
I think the Team Requests board is a double-edged sword.

On one hand you may claim that if it didn't exist, those posts would fill up the other boards instead.

But my personal feeling is that BECAUSE it exists, people feel like they should be forming teams and making requests, as if its the "right" thing to do.

It would be interesting to just remove it for a month and see what actually did happen. My bet is that the majority of noob posts in there simply wouldn't get posted.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 04:05

If you do that I predict some spill-over into the general forum at least, but hey, we're ready

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 04:05
But what about the non-noob posts? Would they just get posted in the other forums but not deleted?

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:29
Nay. Some poeple abuse it, but then we just get to flame them, which can be fun. And I plan on using it once I get more skilled.

"What is a game if not illusions stacked upon illusions?"
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:42
You cannot remove that forum. What will happen to the team request dynasty that is http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=23831&b=9???

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:43 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 05:43
i know it would be difficult to do correctly... but like fallout said i would like to see a "elite" forum...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 05:45 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 05:50
What about setting up a restriction, so that you have to be a member for 30 or 60 days before you can post on the Team Request board. Makes sense to me, as if you have not been around here for at least 30 days, you will probably not be able to add too much to a team. Surely in a month or two, people will get the idea of what is acceptable, and what is not. This will cut down on the: "Want to make a 1337 MMORPG. Have lots of experience programming on GameShark for PS2!!"

"What is a game if not illusions stacked upon illusions?"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 06:55
It's a waste of time IMO. Full of requests of people coming on straight away and dreaming of success.

If anybody can name a finished project that was done by a team formed there, I might reconsider

Jimmy sums it perfectly (for once )

Quote: " Preferrably a NUB team with no experience and no chance of survival. Must have a fake, collage of a website. Stolen ideas are encouraged but not required. OH, and I only code in teh 3Dx0r."

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 06:56
Well i suppose you guys want to keep it. All that i wanted to know.

AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, 512meg HYPER RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, http://www.liquidzsnake.dbspot.com/nFinityV.2.txt
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 06:58
Quote: "finished project that was done by a team formed there, I might reconsider"
1OA, my game all I really got from that board was a musician, but it's still a team.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 07:00
Quote: "It would be interesting to just remove it for a month and see what actually did happen. My bet is that the majority of noob posts in there simply wouldn't get posted."

Which is my thought exactly. Would be fun to experiment with it.

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 07:15 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 07:16
Nay, on the getting rid of it cause its good for a laugh sometime's
but a idea like spaghetti suggested could work. Maybe just make the thread invisible or they can read it but not post for new members untill they have been here 2 or 3 months as to a elite thread wasn't that exactly what dbdn was for although there was hardly anyone there by the time i joined.
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 07:24
i say delete it
reason: too much spam goes on it and it is almost useless
i mean why can't some one post that kinda stuff in general

http://free-space.myftp.org for free ftp
website hosting and e-mail 60mb for ftp/webste 70mb for e-mail
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 07:48
Because general is already filled to the brim with utter rubbish, and it's already quite hard to find something worth reading on here.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 08:47
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I liked Andy's idea a while back , just change it into more of a job/resume/skills posting forum. So people will say "I am modeller looking for a fake company." Instead of "I am a fake company looking for a modeller and 4 programmers and 5 artists and a japanese coffee lady."

Reword the forum name to "People looking for a team." or "TGC Love Personals"

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 09:01
I like Sir Spaghetti Code's idea, except I believe the time limit should be upped to 90 days (1/4 of a year). A quarter of a year is enough to know what is and what is not acceptable, plus it gives people a chance to actually learn how to code. N00bs can join other teams, they just cant make their own requests.

I vote May....be.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 09:33
I say Nay for a coupla reasons:

1.Jimmy's Team Request,

2. n00bs will hear there WAS a team request board and spam anyway even if there isn't one, they'll still feel like it's the "right thing to do" as rich said, just because a team request board even existed.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 09:49
Rich I think the 'Approval' system should just apply to every thread posted in team requests.

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 20:04
When you think about it, for some people the TR board is the only place to find other potential members. While high school pals usually make good teams (for many reasons), there are people who are really good at programming, but knows of nobody else that shares the same interests to help him out.

If a DB coder posts in a forum comprised of mostly C/C++ coders or BASIC haters, guess what would happen.

About the approval system, another idea is instead of waiting for the form to be approved by the mod before it is posted, what if another system was added, like the post would show up immediately, but it would have to be approved by a mod before people can reply to it? If it sucks, people can't bump it. Then when the mods have free time, they can go and approve the ones they see fit, instead of Rich or mods getting e-mail about new team requests.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 20:08
Quote: "Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I liked Andy's idea a while back , just change it into more of a job/resume/skills posting forum"

I did suggest this in the mod's discussion of this. I hope it gets implemented.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:16
Vote = NO
I think until you have been registered for at least 1 to 3 months, you should not be able to start your own thread in any forum but the newcomers forum.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:32
I think an approval idea is debatable, cos 90% of the posts wouldn't get through. Seems like a waste of the mods' time.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Get Involved With The DBPro Community FPS
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:41
I like the idea of an approval system. I mean, we'd only be filtering out the requests saying "i need teh 3D modeler for my new rpg game."

Wouldn't take us much time to approve a message either.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 11:19 Edited at: 9th Sep 2004 11:20
It takes more time to clean, rather than filter to begin with, IMHO

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 22:29
People have been talking about this sort of thing for a long time. The filter is a good idea, but a time consuming one. I don't think the team request board should be scrapped altogether, i don't think it would go down well. Then in a month the newbs would be saying "How's about a team requests board?"

Thought i'd make a post and let you all know i'm still here, just been lazing around all summer. Oh, and i got an A in my Advanced Higher, so thanks to everyone on these forums who helped me out as well.
-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Postponed

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:16:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:16:45