Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What games/ideas do you spend your time programming?

Author
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 10:44 Edited at: 8th Sep 2004 10:51
Hi Folks,

recently I posted a WIP to the WIP board about my game called Kollapse.
It's a jawbreaker/bubblet/collapse clone. Involves elimating the coloured tiles etc.
Anyway, I got no feedback on it, which is fine as I just assume people around here don't
tend to go in for the puzzle type games. Doing the puzzle game refreshed my memory about recursive routines and it might actually help me out with some pathfinding ideas I've got for later on. So a smaller project has taught me some methods I may have overlooked if I was out working on my 'uber' game.

It made me curious though as to the types of games or ideas you yourself spend coding.
Is everyone that uses DBPro just in it for the FPS aspect? Is it broken up between FPS and RPG? I know these seem to be the most popular style of games around here. I don't really like FPS myself because most of these games make me a bit motion sick. RPG's I can do as long as the player perspective is from behind/third person and not from first person.

I'm eagerly awaiting an expansion involving the 2D commandset because thats where I spend most of my time when using DBPro. Just wondering what the rest of you work on, apart from posting here on the forums..

Everything happens for a reason
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 10:47
Actually, the majority of my time spent coding is dedicated to a TBS. I have zero interest in programming an FPS, they're a dime a dozen around here.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 11:02
I like combining stuff and original things, but if I had to pick s gendre to program, it would be racing, beacause it's hard to make a bad racing game.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 15:46
teehee, I'm an FPS monger. But! We're learning to expand the conept of FPSs though....like...a role playing FPS! Ergh....no. nevermind.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I spend most of my time on my big RPG/Adventure game, and have been doing so for about a year now.

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 16:04
FPSs almost exclusively with RPGs on the side.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 17:16
Personally I'm trying to get a good variety of game styles under me belt, prep work for my big game idea no less .

Working on an FPS right now though.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 23:45
Whatever idea pops into my head. FPS / RPG / 2D Platformer / 2D Shoot-Em-Up's are my usual.

Stargate: SG4's Legacy
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 00:45
yeah i don't like just one genre but i'd say my favourites (if done correctly...) are-
FPS/RPG/Adventure(this is what i use for games that are almost like RPGs but not quite....like "Indiana jones and the emperor's tomb")/2D platformers/2D other stuff...ECT

though my main interest is in 3D i'm actually doing a 2D game right now...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 01:18
I've been coding my scripting engine for a few months now. Other than that, there's my competition entry (bloodiest nibbles game you've ever seen).

GICO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 03:49
Right now i am working on a 3rd person RPG... just started about 3 weeks ago so there is a long way

i also like to make all different types of games... you learn more, in my oppinion, that way!

GICO

Give food, give give!!!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 05:11
Lots and lots! TPS espc., but it's hard to get a decent model that has good animations (so the darkmatter models are out ) but I like FPS as well. I really enjoy games that make you think but still have that sheer blast-everything-to-heck feel, like Halo. But I also like the pure shoot-em-up stuff with no story line, kinda like Doom or Unreal Tournament. Racing games are also high on my list, just as long as they involve outragious speeds And adventure games! Indiana jones and the Emperor's Tomb is my favorite example, though there are others. Pure exploration games also are high on my list, i.e. Myst, Riven, Exile, etc. etc. But nothing can compare to free games Lemmingball Z is a good example of a freeware game that has you up untill three in the morning. Ditto for Soldat (I actually got up a 4:30 to play that game once... Actually, I did that 5 or 6 times... ) And don't forget the real-time worm games Ah yes, Liero, GUANOS, Liero AI, Liero eXtream, all dat stuff. But I hate the turn-based game genre, except for WildTangent's Cannonballs - that game rocks! hehe

So basicly anything that's fun If I had a choice as to what genre game I'd make, I think it would be either a third person shooter/adverture like the games bigbrother 2000 is making (Beware the Moon, Snow Island) or a pure FPS a la Unreal Tournament. Only with hell spawn
~Hawkeye

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 05:57
I can't stand most FPSes. Ditto to RTSes. No offense guys, to each his own. Needless to say the latest video game releases have been pretty barren for me. I really like good story lines and character interactions in my games.

I use DBPro to code visual novels, anime simulation style games, and RPGs (roguelike for the most part). I've got about 5 projects running right now, though mainly I focus on a VN.

I like stories and statistics basically.

I also only access the 3D end when I have to, though eventually I will move into that area. Being forced to put 2D into 3D due to its superior performance looks like. 3D is just longer to work on than 2D, which is mostly why I ignore it, and it takes a lot longer to produce a really good looking result.

The whole '3D looks fake' thing just takes me out of the immersion in a game. Give it a few years, that'll change. The terrains at least are getting really good.

Regarding 'puzzle' type games. I've been thinking of putting together a simulation game with mini games and puzzles inside of it. My main work is on other stuff, but I think mini and puzzle type games tend to work best when they're a compilation, and/or are something you can play on the side while doing other work. Most puzzle games unless really good only hold your attention briefly, so its good to mix them together and have some sort of 'uber' connection to them all, or just make them amusing enough to want to play while you have to wait for something else to be done -- like solitaire.

If you ever played an old game called 'Heaven and Earth' that was one of the best uber puzzles linked all together games ever made.

I didn't see the puzzle game you posted, I'll look for the thread and check it out.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 10:17
My RTS game rarely gets worked on. Usually I'm only motivated to work on it after playing AOE2. I've been spending most of my writing an iTunes clone in Java, which is nearing completion finally. I do have an FPS game in mind to create, but that will only be to showcase my collision engine, which isn't quite done yet.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 10:20
I'm Captain Originality. I'm writing a space trading / combat game in the style of a certain seminal game released about 20 years ago.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 06:43
I have about 10 different projects I work on simultaneously. Since the completion of WordTrix 2.0, I've been working more on R.O.B.O.I. (a programming robot game), my online cheap games store (nearing completion), my competition entry (my take on Scorched Earth), a compiler for Pascal, some music, a game from my Gameversity class, and even more...

Plus I'm involved in a licensing dealio for WordTrix, which look at least a little bit promising.

*phew*

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 06:52
I am a sucker for military games I keep meanign to make a cute little minigame... never gets done!

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Svex
Years of Service
User Offline
atari games! you know, red block shoots green block at blue block. I can program those!

The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 14:08
Reading these posts got me thinking...I don't think I've ever made a real 3d game. I've made 2d games with 3d objects (like my pong clone which used boxes and a sphere) but they've all been on a 2 dimensional plane. If I ever made an RPG, it would be in the 2d early nes/snes style. If I made an RTS or TBS (neither of which I plan to do anytime soon but I've always thought of turn-based more strategic), I'd do it in 2d. I do have a desire to make a 3d FPS, but I'm waiting till I can do it right and not make it seem generic.

As far as what I've already done, mostly classics remakes (pong, space invaders, asteroids (actually I never finished that one...)). I'm a big fan of the Worms series (2d, not 3d) and I've been thinking about making something like that. Not for the scorched earth comp tho, just for my own amusement...which is the only reason I ever program anything come to think of it.

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 13:37
I'm right at a year now into this one and I'm down to a couple of minutes (if I can find one solution that I'm sure someone must have asked in the past) of finishing it. It's a simple request but that's for another post.

Mine is an FPS but it is the flying a spaceship variety. My son wants to help on the next one so I'm teaching him how to program using DB Pro as a fun way to introduce programming. It will be an FPS (I think, not sure yet. It's still in the planning stages.) type game or maybe a third person style with animated characters this time.

Steele

-- I straddle the line between genius and insanity. Guess which side I am on now? --
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 01:51
Let's see, wrote a multi-player 3D chat program for wargamers and RPG fans, working on an arcade game with physics entry for the contest, next major project is a turn based man-to-man tactical combat game.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:41:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:41:38