Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / speed question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 13:33
im just constructing the hud for my game right now and i am using sprites and images

now i was wondering which method of 2d graphics creates the most overhead

i would imagine the sprites do but repasting the image each cycle must be somewhat expensive as well

thanks
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 14:22
I've found with dbpro it depends on the number and size of images, it's proberly dependent on hardware as well.

Try it and see which works faster. Even if sprites are a little slower it might be worth it for the convience or not having to manage pasting images every loop.

it's cool to hate
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 03:07
Do you really have to do it with sprites or images? 3D textured plains work much better because they are so fast...or is your game already in 2D. If so, sprites are most likely faster.

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:15
Quote: "i would imagine the sprites do but repasting the image each cycle must be somewhat expensive as well"

Pretty much identical in speed once you disable the backsave option on sprites.

One advantage that sprites have though is that you can fade/zoom/rotate them into place or even add other effects to them.

Of course, there's nothing there that couldn't also be done using a 3D plain, and a plain wouldn't have to be resized depending on the screen resolution.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 10:24
im not resizing anything
i only use sprites for small images like the arrows on the minimap

wouldnt a 3d plain take more memory?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 23:38:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 23:38:27