Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Network card not in winipcfg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 17:02
A computer my dad has been working on has a network card, which is used for the internet (plugs straight into the BB modem). When he first picked up the computer to work on it, the network card, along with PPP adapter and USB -USB bridge adapter all showed up in winipcfg. He had to reinstall windows to try and sort the computer out (there was no problem with the NIC before). After doing this, the network card no longer shows in winipcfg, although the other two do (the computer runs Win98). However, it does still show in device manager, under its correct name.

He has tried removing it from device manager then rebooting and letting it install itself again, removing protocols, and even removing the card physically, rebooting then shutting down and reinstalling the card. No matter what he does it will not reappear in winipcfg.

Anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 21:59
I would'nt trust Win98 drivers, if you don't have the driver disk, try and get hold of updated ones online - for older stuff driverguide.com is great. The login and password are:

Username: drivers
Password: all

This is not backdoor or anything dodgy, it's the details they give you when you ask for a guest account.

Other than drivers, it could be your network settings, like maybe NetBEUI was installed before and now it's not, or maybe you have some gateways that are no longer installed. Network cards are strange beasts, 1 stupid setting can stop them from working.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 22:41
Well dad said he had reinstalled TCP/IP protocol, but I did it again to make sure and it works fine now lol. Thanks anyway.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 22:43
My advice, go out and spend £25 to get Windows 2000.
Windows 98's networking abilities are just a joke, Win2K's will work out of the box. (no literally)

However if you don't want to do that, then the only other choice is to get yourself a Windows Registry Fixxer ... or reinstall 98.
the problem happens to me in WindowsME when I mess around with the registry after a card looses DHCP, usually a reinstall is the only option i've found which works 100%.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 22:45
ok, since the original poster stated that it was fixed...

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:34:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:34:05