Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Frame rates with multiple models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 19:46
Hey there.

My RTS game is hitting a fatal wall. I've imported my CSM map (which is exceptionally low-poly - I get 50-60 frames if I init and display nothing but the map and scroll around it from the top-down view.

Now, if I add just one single MDL file to the mix my frames are cut in half. That's just initialising it, and not even SHOW OBJECTing it. If I show it, my frames are down to about 20. When I show 8, I am on 9 frames.

This is unacceptable. I attach a portion of my code - there must be something I am doing wrong.

My system is mid-level (1.4 Athlon, Radeon9200, 512 ram, XP) but should surely be able to handle something this simple.

Any advice?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 21:46
I think you forgot to attach your code, also - what polycounts are your models in general, like how many polies in the level mesh, how many in the extra meshes your loading.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 02:23
The CSM file is less than 30 polys. It's merely a test map with two square rooms and a corridor joining them (internal style map).

I don't know the polycount of the models - I've swiped them from another game to use as placeholders until my modeller gets his act together. One model = one soldier, borrowed from a halflife mod. It's not particularly complex and looks like it's fairly low poly.

I missed the code in the initial post - the relevant extract of code is attached to this post instead. It will compile in DBPro as it appears here, but you'll have to use dummy resources to make it actually run (Music\test.mp3, Maps\testmap.csm, Models\marine.mdl). As an aside, maybe someone could do this for me and check their frames on their system for me?

There are some variable assignments in this code that will ultimately be replaced with entity extractions from the CSM - these are just placeholding until I get my engine right.

Anybody so inclined might take a quick look over this code and try to find my inefficiency. Apology if I've done something glaringly obvious - I am still learning the language.

Any help would be appreciated.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 09:30
Quote: "Error obtaining Source Code, invalid ID. Sorry but I've given up.
"

Thats all I get from the source button...I was going to try to help you...

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2004 04:44
Hmm that's strange. I'll paste it directly into the message then:

Again, be reminded you'll have to insert your own dummy resources to make it run after compile: Music\test.mp3, Maps\testmap.csm and Models\marine.mdl.

While I've got you, Bolt, perhaps you can tell me why Firewall keeps crashing randomly and generating an error message box? I quite like your game, and prefer playing large maps over a long time, but the longer the game goes on, the higher the probability it will crash before I can complete the battle
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2004 04:47
Oh, disregard my question about random crashes in Firewall - I had a temporary and entirely random burst of IQ and went to the website to find the update patches for the last several months

Any help with my code would be appreciated, though. There's got to something glaringly obvious to a veteran DBer in there, because the relevant piece of logic is exceedingly simple.
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 07:29
Bump.

Waited a few days, but still waiting for any advice on this matter.

Any help would be nice!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:25:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:25:21