Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Fable what do you think??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i just viewed the e3 trailer of Fable and its looking pretty awsome i have also been keeping track of fables progress for a while now. But i am interested to what people think will happen when it comes out. Do you think that its going to be a great and ground breaking game??Do you look forward to its release tell me what ya think.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 01:30
I've been quite unimpressed by everything that's come out in the last few months and the Gamespy streaming videos sort of confirmed my suspicions. It had the potential to be an at least moderatly serious, deep and enjoyable RPG, but they've turned it into something more along the lines of a playable comic book.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Im not sure that you can make claims like that just from a video i think that playing it will allow you to see its true gameplay potential. Im not saying your wrong though what leads you to think that??

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It's gotten great ratings from TeamXbox and IGN. 9.3 and 9.1.
Mouse I think your too into the Elder Scrolls, free roaming but still witha deep story, I here the worst part of Fable is the story, but the amount of stuff you can do is awesome, also it's more like playing yourself rather than a character you make in Elder Scrolls, although, Oblivion could prove me wrong on the character part.

Got anime?I do.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 09:12
Quote: "Well Im not sure that you can make claims like that just from a video i think that playing it will allow you to see its true gameplay potential. Im not saying your wrong though what leads you to think that??"

Videos show the gameplay, so what are you getting at? I've watched >15 minutes of the game, seen a lot of screenshots read two reviews and a number of detailed previews. It's getting good scores, but frankly I think it's getting undeserved praise like Black & White did.

What leads me to think it is that that's how the game has been made. Stream some of the gameplay videos from gamespy.com and you'll see what I mean-- it's all... plush. Comical. Feels like a Disney movie. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but it rather ruins the potential of that game system being used for an even mildly serious RPG. But that's not it; the whole aging thing is poorly implemented, the game is incredibly short and the encounters are so linear there's very little replay value.

Quote: "Mouse I think your too into the Elder Scrolls, free roaming but still witha deep story, I here the worst part of Fable is the story, but the amount of stuff you can do is awesome, also it's more like playing yourself rather than a character you make in Elder Scrolls, although, Oblivion could prove me wrong on the character part."

What I dislike about the game isn't it's differences from Morrowind, except perhaps game time and replay value. I only really enjoyed Gothic the first two times playing it, it wasn't incredibly long, and it was fairly linear unlike Morrowind, but it was a good game because it had sympathetic NPCs and a proper balance of dialogue, combat and puzzle-solving... Fable's too action-oriented and the NPC interaction's too linear. It's obvious just from the gameplay videos, and the reviews say, that the results to encounters are pretty mcuh the same regardless of what you choose to say.

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 09:17 Edited at: 11th Sep 2004 09:19
[edit] mouse posted while I was typing, so I didn't read his post before I posted this.

I've had my eyes on Fable for nearly 2 years now and I have to agree there are a lot of ups and downs with it.

At the core it sounds like a standard RPG with good and evil story-lines, it's most likely that there will only be only two or possibly three endings to the game. The first two being the good and evil ones, with a possible neutral ending as well. They may have even gone for 4 endings, pure evil, not so evil, not that good and saint. It's also very likely that the splits in the story between these endings are at specific points, such as the Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy games, regardless of how you play, the game ending is determined by your actions at a minority of points rather then being able to spin off at many points during the story. The story is definately one of the most important things for an RPG, but the gameplay is important as well. If anyone remember's Septerra Core, you'll know how poor gameplay can really screw up an excellent story.

What worries me is that the gameplay will be mission (or more appropriately, quest) based, where you get a job from someone and you can complete it in your own unique way. Problem is, the quests are the same everytime you play through, so as I said above, the good/evil thing will only come into real effect at particular points in the story and even then I doubt it'll diversify enough to make an 'evil' game really that different from a 'good' game. Look at Morrowind for an example, you can play as you like, you can be a noble thief, who only steals from wealthy people, or you could be an anti-hero, who only does good things when the pay is good enough. But when you play the game as a whole, it's the same quests and missions, from the same people, regardless of whether you're a cold hearted murderer, or an helpful saint for the people. The same can also be said about Neverwinter Nights.

One questionable thing about Fable is the family idea. Apparently you can get hitched and have some kids, which is one of the reasons why they scrapped the playable female character (they couldn't figure out how the gameplay would work for a pregnant woman) if it had been me making the game, I'd've scrapped the having children bit for the option of more diversity into the selection playable characters. I mean, how does having children affect the gameplay? Sort of like the Black & White creature or tamagochi idea? Does it really add that much to the gameplay to warrent it's inclusion? In all honesty, I doubt it. It's probably only a minor 'diversion' like the mini games in Shenmue, does nothing significant to the game.

The interaction with NPC's however is quite impressive, being able to walk into a pub and, buy your own drink and be quiet, start a fight, steal someone else's drink, spit in someone's drink (I don't think any games have allowed that before) and once the bralling begins picking up chairs, stools, mugs, etc. and beating people to death with them.

The character growth is very impressive, rather then a system where your stats improve randomly (most console RPG's like Shining Force and Golden Sun work like that) or where you pick what stats are improved (Diablo 2 and Morrowind) things improve based on how you use the character. Always fight with big heavy weapons and you'll get stronger, I've even heard you can watch your character's muscles grow over time. Stay out in the sun a lot and you'll get a tan, spend all your time sculking around at night and you'll go pale. Wounds turn into scars and scare little children away. You hair grows as well, and you can sculpt that as you like, but I'll bet you can't just let it continue to grow until it's down to your ankles! You can get tattoos as well, whether you can design your own is another question.

Heck, now I sound like I'm advertising the game!

All in all I'm looking forward to this game because it claims to do things no other RPG has done before, and those things are definately intriging, allowing much more divercity into just how you play your character. I've played a lot of RPG's, Diablo 1 & 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Divine Divinity, Morrowind, most of Sega' Shining games, Neverwinter Nights, just to name a handfull, and by the looks of it, Fable is going to be a good one, more for the unique gameplay aspects then the story.

Avan

If you don't like what you see on tv, then change the channel!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually what you said about combat and dialouge, is more like the other way around, but I don't want to start an argument so let's just drop it.

Got anime?I do.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I have wacthed video as well and allot of screens and reviews. It has its ups and downs like any game does but combat is really always going to be linear i would of said it was in morrowwind to and combat gets boring after a while. But i think this rpg is more based around growing your charachter and their appearance,traits and physicallity etc. This is an unusual thing to do and its interesting Im not sure but i would say that it cant be that short and the replay value is probably better than you think. I would think that people would react and give different quests or slighlty different depending on how you play the game....Allot of this is just speculation so we will just have to wait and see.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2004 22:36
Quote: "i would say that it cant be that short "

Read the gamespot review. The reviewer loves it, yet can't honestly say you'd get more than thirty hours out of it. That's very short for an RPG .

Anime-> ok.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It can be that short but it has a lot of replayability value because you can be different each time you play.

Got anime?I do.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 05:04
On IGN they said they were hoping Microsoft would buy it up as an Xbox exclusive IP. It does seem to be little lacking, maybe if we're lucky Microsoft will buy it up and fund more sequels which will have more added to the engine, deeper story, etc. etc.
Probably the big problem with Molyneaux is that he's an artistic game developer, so he's wanting to try new things, but he doesn't always have enough time or money. He's brilliant, but not very business oriented, that can be good, but you need a bit of a business mindset when you're working retail.

I'm hoping for Fable 2:Return of the Plot After It's Been to the Gym For About 9 Months Plus Some More Cool Features Added to the Engine To Make Your Sidequest Choices Actually Matter.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 05:24
Yeah, I got fable for xmas and I finish it in 8h38.

Windows XP, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Why exactly did you revive this thread?
I think this should be locked as it is nothing that matters...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 05:30
:/ Damnit I was expecting a real fable.. You've disapointed me sir, and I won't relent until you write a fable for us.

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:31