Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Studios legal stuff

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 01:15
Im wondering if its true that you cant name ur team "soemthing studios" until you register the name ? some one told me that you cant use studios after your team unless you have registered it so i want to double check. thx
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 01:32
You can name it anything you want but if the names taken the owners will have grounds to press lawsuit and don't expect to be able to hold on to it against opposition with more funding unless you've copyrighted it.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 01:53 Edited at: 12th Sep 2004 01:55
In the US, in order to do business under a name other than your own (the one on your birth certificate/driver's license), such as 'Goober Studios', you have to file for a Ficticious Name Certificate. You may have to also pay for other business licenses and fees.

However, if you don't plan to actually do business (ie charge for anything you create) you can get away with not getting these certificates and licenses. Be aware though, that any existing or future business can sweep in and take that name from you legally, as it is not registered to you.

For more information, you can consult: http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/startup/guide.html

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 02:24
Quote: "Ficticious Name Certificate"

lol, I love the straightforward naming conventions in the US

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 14:52
For instance, my team is called

Epsilon Studios

which is fine, because we dont sell anything atm As soon as a commericial product appears on our website we will have to register our name and trademark our logos and what not Fun! BIG FEES!

Check out our Team Request in the Team Request section if you want to help!
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 17:34
did you know that everyone legal has a copyright - just stick the copyright symbol on your work with your name and date, its legally binding

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 17:44
Quote: "did you know that everyone legal has a copyright - just stick the copyright symbol on your work with your name and date, its legally binding"

It's:

- "Copyright"
- copyright symbol
- Date
- Name
- "All rights reserved"

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 17:47
thats the proper layout - ill go and update my website then

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 18:53
Someones already got Jelly Studios . Hope they don't sue me

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 21:14
what about things that aren't studios for example Productions, wouldn't that be the same?

+ y not use Jelly some other word or wait til there license runs out and buy it before they do (somehow if possible)

:: In Progress: Pulse Board Forums ::
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 22:28 Edited at: 12th Sep 2004 22:30
it really depends on your countries copyright and business practise laws. In Australia we are under the westminster System.

Each country should have a site similar to this one for australia.

copyright
http://www.copyright.org.au/

business registration
http://www.fairtrading.act.gov.au/Forms/gs11.htm

I use it for multimedia jobs a lot, music is a big issue i look for as well as images.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 07:44
Fictitious name certificate? Is that US state or federal law? Bizarre.

In England and Wales you can trade under practically any name you want. I say "practically any" name because some words are restricted. These tend to be words denoting either a connection with the Government, the Monarchy or, as a further example, words which are offensive or would incite crime. For example, if Indi came to England he couldn't trade under "Imperial & Royal Indi ****". Or, at least, if he tried then the DTI would take an interest in him and his business which would be downright unhealthy.

Obviously if a limited company, as opposed to a sole trader or partnership, trades under a business name, the Companies Acts require the company to give various stipulated details about the company in all correspondence, etc.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
So can I sell games(for money) under my name?
Will anyone be able to steal my name/games?

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 09:16
@Philip
US Federal Law.

@Ilya
If in the US, you can sell under your real name and no, people can't legally use it as theirs, unless of course, it is their name too.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Mr Fraggs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 04:52
damn this got big but thx so if we dont sell anything we dont need to pay any fees or taxes or what ever thx for the help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:16:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:16:20