Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Singed Earth: A Silent Spring

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 04:35 Edited at: 11th Dec 2004 12:05
Singed Earth is a 3-D remake of the classic game Scorched Earth in which players lob various weapons at each other in order to destroy their opponent’s tanks. Up to 8 players can participate in this turn-based battle, carefully choosing their angle, power, and weapon in order to do the most damage to their enemies. The last player standing wins.

Following are features that were programmed by the competition deadline:
-Up to 8 Human or Computer Players
-Working World Wrapping!
-Accurate Gravity
-Wind
-Simple Terrain Deformation
-Six Weapons: Single Shot, Big Shot, Tesla Shot, Well Digger, Dirt Hill, Roller
-Tanks Leave Tracks
-Random Terrain Generation
-Simple Explosions
-Improved Status Screen
-Nice Menu
-Adjustable Options
-Improved Controls
-Computer Opponents: Cyborg, Judge, Predator, Vengeful, each with Adjustable Difficulty
-Variety of Levels: Flat lands, Hills, Mountain, Arctic, Urban

Here are the features I have added or changed since:
-Move Camera With Mouse
-Tanks No-Longer Black on Some PCs
-Small Radar Screen
-Dirt Hill and Well Digger more Useful

Here are the features I am currently working on:
-Fixing v1 Problems and Errors
-Three New Weapons(Splitter, Bouncer, and Homing Missile)

This is a list of what I am planning on adding:
-Larger Weapon Selection
-Increasing Size Of Levels
-Utilities Such as Shield and Fuel Tank
-Weapon Shop
-Deformable Terrain
-Realistic Explosions
-Smoke
-More Game Modes
-Extensive Weapon Selection
-Improved Graphics and Sound
-Better Music
-And Many Others...

Here Are The New ScreenShots:

The reason I decided to make a WIP page is to receive encouragement from the DB community to continue working on Singed Earth. Although I'm proud of the s my game won, I've decided to continue improving it and release a second version. Please feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions, or constrictive criticism.

The full source code and all my media is included in the Singed Earth file which can be downloaded Here. The download is a 5.5Mb Zip(Contrary to what the page says). When I have made enough improvements I will release a WIP Demo that will include all the recent changes.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 04:48
Looking really good.
Keep up the good work.

Realms Of Tutopia: Rise Of Evil v0.2
www.freewebs.com/elbsoftware/index.htm
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2004 05:19
BTW my scorched earth re-make is named "Singed Dust"...

but i'm going to change the name anyway so nevermind

"We make the worst games in the universe."

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2004 10:16
Thanks Andrew.

Peter_H, I'm also considering changing the name. I just looked up synonym to scorch and singed was the best I found. I just added the ":A Silent Spring" part to make it sound more original. I keep hearing this voice with an Iraqi accent repeating the phrase "It vill be a silent spring." I think I played Red Alert 2 too much...lol

I decided to put off working on the smoke effects. It wasn't working very well and it kept eating up too much of my time. I did however improve the status screen so it's no longer a see-through box with a power meter. Now its a smaller, oddly shaped, opaque box with a power meter, angle display, movement display, and weapon list...

Just wondering, but would anyone mind modeling me a 3D tank with a fully Z rotatable turret? Currently I'm using the tank model from the DBClassic Tank Demo and you can only rotate to a certain angle before the barrel removes itself from the tank. I would be happy to include anyone who helps me in the opening credits (Currently only Me).

The computer isn't an addiction, its more of a mental and social dependancy.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 23:33
Well... So far I haven’t had much feedback, but I’ll continue to update this thread whenever I accomplish something.

I'm currently working on the main menu and I expect it to be finished by tomorrow. This will allow me to adjust the options like the number of players, wind speed, terrain type, ect. without changing the source code each time. I'll post new screenshots tonight or tomorrow of the menu and the new status screen.

As I said before, feel free to post any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism. I would really like some feedback.

Mahadeva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 16:00
The game is seen well and it is entertained

good luck with the game
Mahadeva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 02:35
A question game kit so that when one postea does not leave the name when it is published for example it leaves a message you but I do not see my name in the forum

THANKS
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 13:13
Thanks Mahadeva, I appreciate your comments.

Well... I finished the basic menu. It's simple yet functional and I will improve upon it occasionally. There are still a few things that need to be added but I should have those fixed by tomorrow. Afterwards I will work on new weapons like a heatseeker, splitter, and bouncer. October 31st looms dangerously in the distance and I will have to work fast in order to add all I hope to by the deadline. Three words... feedback, Feedback, FEEDBACK... Sorry, lol. I just wish people would post their comments.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 14:21
screenshots look pretty nice. I noticed in the recent update you backed up the camera a bit, I think that was a good idea. even still the level seems a bit crowded... perhaps a little bigger playfield with the the camera zooming in after a shot is fired would be cool!

otherwise looks pretty feature-rich, I hope you can get everything you want in by the deadline!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 14:21 Edited at: 18th Sep 2004 14:27
Thanks Walaber, I did back up the camera some. The playing field is actually about 4x as large as the camera shows. I wrap around the matrix and objects so it continues forever. For example, If fired at the proper angle and power, the bullet could travel around the level with the camera following it until it landed back on top of your tank. Unlike the original Scorched Earth, the bullet doesn't wrap around when it hits the side of the screen. The world wraps around it! Well, thanks again for the reply.

PS: Oh, I've played your "Ragdoll Monkey Bowling" and "Snowball Fight" and found them both very enjoyable and addicting. I could never get a strike on Monkey-Bowling though... lol

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 08:35 Edited at: 19th Sep 2004 08:36

i just found out that we have until october 31st!!!!

i thought it ended september 31st!!!

lol...i have an extra month...this is going to be so easy it will be sickening...i've been rushing to get it done in time...but i have till october 31st...lol...lol

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Three words... feedback, Feedback, FEEDBACK"

If you relese a beta, there will be more feedback.

Lord Aramus
Years of Service
User Offline
Oooh.. Beta

I luvdeded Scorched Earth!

Lookin good so far!

Ack Thpppppt!

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2004 07:41
Well... I havn't posted for a while so its about time I had an update...

I havn't had much time lately to work on it and I'm hopeing I can get everything I want in by the deadline...
I did run into a snag however... When I made the wind speed and wing change options adjustable it made it so the wind stopped working... Something is wrong with the string variable I use to store the wind properties...
I have code like WindS$="Gust" and WindC$="Every Two Rounds" Then I allow the user to adjust the options through the menu... But when I call them again to set the wind's speed it it stays at zero...
When I check them saying... If WindS$="Gust" Then Wind#=rnd(5)... Wind# stays at zero. Even if the WindS$ Variable is still "Gust"...

Well... I'm hoping I get it fixed soon so I can move on... Expect a demo sometime next week...

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:55 Edited at: 18th Oct 2004 00:51
Well... Time for another update...

I got the wind working again and now I made the players' colors adjustable. Now Player 1 isn't always Blue, Player 2 isn't always Red.. etc.
I prepared a demo and am waiting for it to be uploaded so I can post the link... In the Beta version, the options I don't have fully working are greyed out, also there is absolutely no sound or music. I had to do this to reduce the file size...
I am now beginning to work on computer opponents. I have a simple AI routine that should allow the computers to predict where their bullets land and adjust their angle and power accordingly. I'm hoping to have different personalities for the computer opponents... vengeful will attack the person who's damaged it the most, predator will attack the player with the least amount of health left, judge will attack the player who is currently winning, and cyborg will attack random targets...

Well... I'll add the Beta link to the top of the page as soon as I get it uploaded... Once again, feel free to post any feedback. I'd like to hear what everybody thinks...

[Edit]
Sorry... No Beta ... The site I was using to upload my demo to isn't working. I'm not going to be able to post a Beta until I find another site to upload to... I appologize if I got anyone's hopes up (which I doubt)...lol

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 23:42
Well... I got alot done this weekend!
I improved the controls, wind, and movement, and fixed a few known bugs.
I finnaly got my "destination of bullet" equation to work...
X=Tank's X Position + (Cos(Angle)*Velocity*Time)+0.5(Wind/Weight)*Time^2
Y=Tank's Y Position + (Sin(Angle)*Velocity*Time)+0.5(Gravity/Weight)*Time^2
Lol... It took me hours to fine tune it... I hope these equations can be of use to someone.
Now for a little reverse psychology... Whatever you do, do not post any feedback! I do not want to hear from any of you.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 01:41 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 01:41
Hmmm... do those equations really work?

It would be way easier to just run you're movement code through 5000 times or whatever and check for if it's hit something, then give back the coordinates.

Because you wouldn't be syncing after each loop it will definately be fast enough. You must be doing that to work out the time til it hits anyway.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 04:52
@gamekit- that's almost exactly the equations i'm using

you could have just asked me

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 06:36
I don't understand why the acceleration is Gravity/Weight & Wind/Weight.

Surely it should just be Gravity & Wind. Acceleration isn't dependant on mass (I guess that's what you mean by weight)

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 07:23
yeah those are wrong..

X = startX + speed*time + acceleration*time^2
Y = startY + speed*time + acceleration*time^2

Soo...

for X, you speed is the cos of the angle* speed as u have and the acceleration would be the wind.

for the Y the accleration would be grav.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 07:25
s = ut + 0.5*at^2

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 08:00
Or, you can rotate the shell object and then use move object with a gradually increasing 'gravity' offset. The shell goes up, curves, and comes back down. Almost no math to it.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 10:31
that works for a basic curve.. it wont be true mathmatically tho.. But ur right.. base the turn speed on the power... more power less turn speed. It aint a great solution tho.

@Chriss Knott: Oh yeah forgot the HALF in the "a t squared" bit..

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 13:47 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 14:19
Yes, It works perfectly. What I meant by weight was what you wanted the acceleration to be divided by so the bullet fell at the right speed and was blown by the wind the right amount...
I was just going to run my bullet launch code in a for/next loop, but this greatly quickens up the process... Instead of it looping 15 lines of code 500 times per sync it only has to loop 5 lines of code 50 or less times. It increases the FPS by about 2...lol
Here is my code for it.. more or less...

I'm only using this code for the computer opponents. That way they don't have to fire 1,000 imaginary bullets in order to figure out where to aim...
The normal firing code works by creating a bullet, positioning and rotating it correctly, and moving it a fixed amount per loop while adjusting by wind and gravity acceleration...
@Peter_ ...lol... I looked on a physics website to figure out the basic equation...
@Chris Knott ...I've timed it, this is much faster then performing all the routines 5,000 times...
@Nicholas Thompson ...These equations should work perfectly, I can even map out the flight path of the bullet before I fire... Perhaps I'll post a screenshot...
@TAZ ...It's not very difficult to get the bullet to curve normally. The problem with rotating it is would be hard to make it curve correctly. (Not to mention if it curves too much it could fly back upwards before hitting the ground)...

Well... Thanks for your replies everyone... I'll post a screenshot of the flight path of the bullet... GASP! Only 12 days left.. .

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 21:36 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 21:37
here's what i use and it's perfect (no wind yet)
x#=(IntVelocity*cos(StartAngle)*Time)+Startx
y#=starty-(IntVelocity*sin(StartAngle)*time)-(1.0/2.0)*Gravity*Time^2.0)

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 23:41
I've finnished programming most of the computer players' AI... They now aim, fire, and hit their target (most of the time). There are still quite a few bugs to work out but it's comming along ok... I may not have as much time to work on it as I had hoped so I probeley won't be able to add extra weapons and other various features...

My first Idea for the AI did not work out well, and I finnally had to give in and let them scan the entire field until they found the angle and power needed to hit thier opponents...

Well... Only about 9 days left until the deadline... ... ... ...

Bob 3456
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 04:22
that looks really nice, i cant wait for the realese
Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 17:29
wow...i remember playing a basic version of this game when i was like 3 on my dads really old computer. except the you were a dot! this is my favourite game ever, thankyou for making it.

I'm the guy you love to hate.
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 22:24
Tanks certainly is one of the top ten all time best games ever I think.

Quick question @GameKit.. Any new screenshots? I wanna know what I'm up againts.. Hehe.

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 00:46
Thank you Bob
Yeah, Scorched Earth was one of my favorite games of all time... I must have spent hours just lobbing bullets back and forth...lol. I was actually thinking about starting a Scorched Earth remake when the competition started. Since Tanks was one of the categories I decided, "Why not?"... Your Welcome Dave

I'm planning on finishing up the computer opponents tonight... I still have to add their personalities and change their hit chance depending on their difficulty... I also have to remove a few menu items that I won't be able to add by the deadline... By the 30th I'm hoping to have three new weapons; splitter, bouncer, and homing missile.

@Nicholas Thompson... I'll post a few more screenshots tonight, although the graphics haven’t changed any since the last ones...lol... Your game is looking nice. Good Luck getting everything you want in by the deadline...

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 04:50
Dammit.. I need AI too.. FFS!! Lol..

I have so much to do and so little time to do it!

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 05:12
Well... I've been sick the past few days, I can't stare at the computer too long befor I get a headache. However, since I'm stuck in the house I have more time to work on Singed. lol

The computer opponents are working great and I'm going to start working on the next three weapons... I'll have to delete about half of the options in my menu because I know I wouldn't have time to get all of them finished... I've decided to continue working on Singed Earth even after the deadline and continue to improve it until I feel I've programmed everything I want into it...

Well... I'm going to drink a cup of chicken soup , and get back to work... Less than a week left...

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 11:57
AHHHH! Only 2 Days Left!

Completely Finished The Computer Players' Difficulty and Personality. Making a few last changes. Fixed an error with the Tesla shot. Added a background picture to each Terrain Type.I Also Added Two More Terrain Types, Urban and Arctic. Made the bullets colored and larger. Improved the main menu...

I'll be submitting my game tomorrow night... I'm hoping this will be a good competition... Darn Tankoids and it's fancy pants graphical presentation. lol j/k... I'm turning in for the night and am planning on working on it All Day tomorrow...

A wise man once said, "He who sticks face in bowl of punch, gets punch in nose."... That was completely irrelevant...

...My time is... ummm... ticking... slowly... away...

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 11:21 Edited at: 7th Dec 2004 11:27
Well... The competition is long past over. The results are in and I'm proud of the s Singed Earth won. The judges scored fairly and Rich gave me a great review. There were alot of other great games entered and I enjoyed downloading and playing alot of them. Thank you TGCs for another great Competition.

Now that it's all over with I am going to continue work on Singed Earth, adding features and improving on the gameplay until I'm content. I will continue using this page as my WIP and will update it every week or so with what improvements/changes I have made to Singed Earth. You can download and read the review of my game Here. (It shows 13.3 Megabytes, but the download is actually only 5.5 Megs)

I would really like to know what people thought of my game and would appreciate any suggestions, comments, questions, or constructive criticism. I will post new screenshots and after I feel I've accomplished enough I will re-release it with all the improvements. Now that I think about It, I realize that "Singed Earth: Silent Spring" Sounds pretty cheezy. (Not that there is anything wrong with cheese). The next version of the game will be called... "Singed Earth 2: Taste Your Mortality"... Lol

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 07:03 Edited at: 11th Dec 2004 12:11
Hello Everyone. Work has begun on version 2 of Singed Earth. I've made a number of changes and fixes since the competition.
First of all, I figured out "Set Normalization On" doesn't work the same on all PCs. Although the tanks appeared colored on most of the computers it was tested on, thier textures appeared very dark on others. I turned off each tank's sensitivity to light which fixed this problem.
Second, I have added the ability to move the camera with the mouse. Now you can see where your enemy is by moving the mouse to either the left or right of the screen.
Third, I've added a small Radar Screen below the weapon selection display. This shows not only all the player positions, but also the height of the landscape at each point. (Screenshot Soon) This however, slows down the FPS a small amount so I made it so you can optionally turn it off. Also, due to the fact that I have to Wrap the terrain, the radar sometimes moves one pixel to the left or right and a small portion of the terrain appears higher than it is. (I will fix this when I can.)
Finnaly, I've made a few minor changes to the game. Dirt Hill and Well Digger are now more useful and I fixed an error with the windspeed selection.

My laptop is no longer fuctioning (The hard drive is not getting any power) and I'll have to send it in for repairs. So for the next week or so I cannot work on Singed Earth. I still will be able to post the new screenshots because I saved them on a CD. Until then work on Singed Earth 2 is paused.

[Edit]
Laptop FIXED! Although I don't know what I did, I got my laptop running again. I took it apart (not an easy task), looked for anything unusual, didn't find anything, dusted it with canned air, and put it back together. When I pressed power it turned on! Now I don't have to put my life on hold...

[Edit]
New Screenshots are up! I hope everyone likes them.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 00:27
dude...don't put your laptop on your lap...

trust me

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm guessing Peter read that thread. Anyways a version 2 should be pretty cool, can't wait to see it.

Have a heart and join my message board.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 08:08
... umm... Yeah Peter_, I've heard the rumors...

Thanks Anime Blood I appreciate your interest. I wouldn't hold your breath though. I'm not expecting to be finished with the second version until perhaps late January. I will realese a new demo perhaps around Christmas. (If I can find a site to host it)

I'm considering inlarging the size of the terrain by about 50%. The tanks are currently somewhat close together (expecially with 8 players). This could drop the FPS rate however, and would decrease the chance of hitting an opponent. What do you guys think? Perhaps I should make the terrain size an adjustable option?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:33:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:33:02