Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I have some questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all! I am about to buy my copy of DB but I still have some questions...
- What's the difference between DB and DB pro and can programs written in DB be used in DB pro ?
- What about the licensing-stuff if a game is finished, may you sell the game or what and how many titles, etc?
-Do you have any remarks or suggestions a newbie really should know?

Thank you all
SNeKKe
gasolin
Years of Service
User Offline
"can programs written in DB be used in DB pro ?"
Yeah, I think so, but not the other way (sometimes) (DB Pro > DB)

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 00:40
Changes may be required either way I'm afraid.

Licensing is simple, anything you create is yours - unless you use someone else's code or media and they have conditions.

DBPro is currently still under development - it isn't the most stable product at the moment. But it is much more advanced than DB. You choose.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 00:43
- What's the difference between DB and DB pro and can programs written in DB be used in DB pro ?

DBPro is faster (usually), it has more features and is all out a better package when it comes to making real full-scale games. DB progs usually work in DBPro, usually with a bit of tweaking, although some of the DB commands have been taken out in DBPro.

- What about the licensing-stuff if a game is finished, may you sell the game or what and how many titles, etc

I think you can now sell your games without having to pay DBS any licensing fees. However, Give DBS a mention in the credits, they'll appreciate it

-Do you have any remarks or suggestions a newbie really should know?

Start out small. Work your way through help files and tutorials, then helping other people in small scale projects. As you get more and more knowledgable about programming, you can get more ambitious.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
ozzie65
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have any remarks or suggestions a newbie really should know?

Try going through the code snippets forum and see how the commands fit together.

Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:35
One of the bigger differences is that DB Pro can use bsp maps, such as those used in Half Life and Quake 2/3.

It's never as easy as it looks!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 16:36
Dark Basic came out first- so it is really alot more stable. Although it wont supposrt BSB maps, that may not concern a newbie as much. I think some people consider DB alot easier than PRO. Pro supports types which are very usufull when you get to them, but still has some major bugs. Not all code written in DB can be used in PRO because some commands dont exist anymore in PRO. A few changes in your code and your fine

I dont know much about pro guys so correct me if im wrong I know I DO like the pro interface better than the old DB

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-27 00:22:18
Your offset time is: 2024-07-27 00:22:18