Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wine & DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 08:11
After managing to get Linux install on my main machine (took 3 good 'cos stupid Suse kept installing GRUB instead of LILO - who in their right mind would want a useless DOS-based boot system - but I digress).

Anyhoo - I can confirm that DBPro programs wont using WINE - all you get is a small window which then goes almost straight away...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 08:57
Hopefully no one on this forum drinks alcoholic drinks anyways.

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 09:08
Alcoholic drinks? Who'd dream of drinking that?

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 09:14
Wine? I'd recommend a good Cognac.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions"
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 09:23
I like beer but it makes my belly big, so I now drink wine.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 11:13
I use wine called [darwine] under OSX and at the moment in time i can only emulate wordpad and minesweeper. Ill wait a while before Ill try it again.

wine requires the windows libs as your prolly know so if your machine is all linux and not 50 win 50 linux it wont run at all.

having stated u installed lilo i tend to think u have a dual boot so i would assume you have both.

give dbc a go before trying dbp i would imagine.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 11:19
DBC works through WineX, I tried it, and a simple DBP app. Past that I'm not sure...

[center]
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 11:22
Make sure WINE has all the Windows DLL's it needs. Don't forget the latest DirectX files too. WINE has a debug console so you can see what goes wrong, that might help you to figure out what else it needs. Would be pretty fun to be the first guy ever to successfully run a DBP app with WINE.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 11:25
Something I found really quick on WINE HQ, "Partial DirectX support for games (Direct3D missing)." Just keep tweaking it and doing some tests, you'll eventually get it working.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 00:05
Quote: " Just keep tweaking it and doing some tests, you'll eventually get it working."

true dat... The first DBP patch worked well in Wine. Then I patched DBP, upgraded wine and it won't work anymore. Though, I admit I didn't stay much time tweaking it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 00:27
Wine only Emulates Windows (WINdows Emulator), there is another version called WineX, which emulates DirectX 8.1 as well.

Dark Basic Professional works under this upto Update 4.0 but not exactly stable. I mean upto 4.0 wasn't entirely stable on windows, but it's double so under WineX.

Thier new version (can't remember the name) which uses DirectX 9.0 which you have to purchase now, will run DBP upto 5.2 like it will on windows, the changes in 5.4+ seem to make some odd compatibility errors.

I have a personal build for unix i've been tinkering with which can run DirectX 9.0 now close to flawlessly, but still some bugs in DBP remain
have a feeling it's the windows libraries it is now using or how it is using them... at any rate compatibility isn't high enough to recommend using it yet.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 00:37 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 00:37
Quote: " Wine only Emulates Windows (WINdows Emulator),"

It stands for Wine Is NOT an Emulator-- it's NOT an emulator!

[center]
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 00:45
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 01:25
Wine Is Not an Emulator is the correct acronym and yes, Wine is not an emulator. It doesn't emulate anything it just substitutes system calls in the Windows app to execute Wine's libraries instead.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 01:28
Acording to there site, WINE is (as Mouse said) Wine Is Not an Emulator. They call it a "Compatability layer" instead.
Quote: " Wine only Emulates Windows"

or you could take a look at the site and see that they emulate Direct X too. They're just not done with it.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 01:35
Yeah, normal Wine's DirectX compatability is shaky at best though (plus no Direct3D) but should support up to DX 8.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 05:04 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 05:05
Which unfortunately rules out DBPro... I'll have to see if the editor works (and compiles)...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 05:10
Cedega4... aka WineX
you can follow whatever site you like, but the X11 (XFree86) variation of Wine is an emulator, no matter what they want to call it.
Because it has to emulate the Windows Kernel Calls, there is no way around it without making a Wrapper, which again technically is just an emulator.

Whatever they want to call it, they're still not doing it using Windows technology... Transgaming however are.

which is why WineX is stable and ever growing stability of titles as well as DirectX9 compatibility.
now if some users would rather than trying to show me up did thier homework they'd of known this. But as I said, the Windows calls ni DBP are causing problems not the Dx Calls.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 07:10
Define emulator. Since it doesn't emulate an entire system I wouldn't think of it as one. Example:

Let's say we havea program that does this

make a new window
x=2+2
print x in window

An emulator does this:

Emulator makes a new window
Emulator executes x=2+2
Emulator prints x in window

Wine does this:

Wine makes a new window
Executes x=2+2 on the processor (this is important)
Gets the result and sends it to the window through the API

This is a bit generalized but is what Wine does. If it was an emulator it would execute the entire thing and the processor wold only be running the emulator NOT the program itself, but with Wine the processor is actually running the program and uses Wine to do Windows functionality.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 08:04
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. It's a windows compatible API for Linux.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 14:15
Quote: "now if some users would rather than trying to show me up did thier homework they'd of known this."

Quote: "but with Wine the processor is actually running the program and uses Wine to do Windows functionality."

OUCH, raven got PWN3D once again...

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:59