Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Good heightmap creator/editor for use with DBP terrains?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 18:16
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good heightmap creators/editors, with a view to using them in DBP via the terrain commands?

Currently I'm using PaintShop Pro, just wondered if there were any other good/free(or cheap) alternatives that come recommended.

Cheers.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 18:28
There's an interesting post on the DBP board about using Sandbox (farcry level editor) to create heightmaps and colourmap textures, pretty nice results, you should check that out first if you have Farcry.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 20:31
Cheers Van-B, I don't have Farcry (not sure my PC will run the game itself), but does that editor come bundled with the game or is it a seperate download?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 20:42
Unsure, it does come with the game, and usually these things need the game installed to run, but I don't know if it's available seperately.

You could use any matrix editor, then convert your level data into a heightmap image. I'm in a similar predicament myself, hate using PSP to create heightmaps, but don't really want to spend weeks and weeks on my level editor. The annoying thing is the byte limit, really, when you look at the resolution on a 256 greyscale heightmap, it's really poor - I think DBPro actually does it's own tweaking to avoid the blocky resolution, which means you don't really have exact WYSIWYG no matter how you edit your levels. This is all a major drag when your trying to plant buildings etc that like nice flat foundations.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:36:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:36:17