Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 23:37
This morning and most of the afternoon, the office here has been well grinding to a halt because I downloaded the demo earlier to check it out.

Most guys here are like 'Warhammer, pfft! nerd stuff' but after a few hours of Multiplayer getting used to this game...
Well I think this is finally an RTS which adds some true tactics and intelligence to the genre.

It appears to be based on the Warcraft III engine, but it has been very significantly upgraded in terms of graphics. Still it runs very smoothly even on an older system.

If you haven't had the chance to download and checkout this game, I would suggest it is a must for any RTS fan.
When I get home i'll install it and take some nice screenshots of what it had in it... it's a very beautiful game but a simplistic style that just compliments the rather nice and simple control system.

When I get my hands on the full game it is going to be something i'm going to play to death. It gives me some very good ideas though, and makes me happy to finally see a Warhammer based game which actually the complete packages.
Firewarrior was alright, and i've still not seen (or played) Wahammernline yet... but this game, it has basically what WH40K is all about.

What is just the coupé-de-gras is well the cinematics are beautifully orchestrated. Definately something which would even have Blizzard's team impressed with.

If anyone else has the game, if i can inch my way out of working no the ide for a few hours would be cool to have a quick bout sometime this week.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 23:48
Ooh, sounds good, can't wait for the screens Raven.

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 01:56
Quote: "Most guys here are like 'Warhammer, pfft! nerd stuff'"

I realised that there were some players here (including me).

Quote: "i've still not seen (or played) Wahammernline yet"

You will never play it, they stopped the project.
Check here : http://www.warhammeronline.com/

I'm going to download the demo now ... hope they'll have the imperial guard.

- Mind the gap -
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 02:01
Feel sorry for the devs of Warhammer Online. Judging by the screenshots and media, they had a game that was well near done, but didn't live up to the modern MMO standard enough to warrant server and further development costs. That's got to be painful.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 02:22
heh, that would explain why i've not heard anything about it in a while... it was shaping up quite nicely though last time i saw it in PC Gamer, sad when this thing happens to games but no uncommon.

I've discovered there are 2 versions of the game, multiplayer and single player. The one on gamespy is single, the one i downloaded from relic is multiplayer... but both appear to have the same levels and only seem to have the space marine basics.

Still it should give you a good idea of how the game is
An nah your not even close to alone in liking WH40K around here, it is definately a silent passion of alot of gamers here even if they don't actually collect it.

anyways the screenshots
click on the screenshots to get full views

1024x768x32 Full Graphics AA:4x AF:Adaptive
also god knows why but some screenshots came out at desktop resolution, they seem to also look alot better, but meh! i think it's a glitch in my screenshot system.

/* please note that i'm currently uploading, if they're not showing then check back in 5minutes */

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 04:10
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/wh40kdawnwar/dow_demo_install.exe.html

I'm downloading now, the link is there if ur too lazy to seach the game looks better than it did a while back

:: Pulse Board Forums :: WOO Halo 2 Limited Edition for £34.99 EARLY ::
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:13
I've downloaded this.... I downloaed the Warhammer 40,000 Darn of War Beta.. that came with Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Orcs, and The Eldar.... with online, but no single player besides the tutorial... But I'll try the demo.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:16
you know where i can get the beta? would love to try out the other races.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:18
me too

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:22 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 06:39
Mmmm, Gamespy/Fileplanet used to have an open Beta, but I think they closed it now...

I may have saved the free beta key page somewhere.. Lemme check my links...

Uhh.. no, I lost the link... Well, I guess you're out of luck then. Unless someone else bookmarked that page, and if that page is even still up... But the beta test is closed now, But I can still play the beta online

EDIT: Hmmm... I found the installation file (I think) and it sends you to a page to get the key, and It seems it is infact still up.... Oh, and the installation wont work if you use Firefox, if you do, close firefox, and open up Internet Explorer... Hmmm, well, it told me the link anyways, then Gamespy will email you with download page+details.... So try going here:
http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/dawnofwar/signup/

That should work.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:40 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 06:41
I was a beta tester for it, was awsome. Really like the elder . Anyways the beta is close to over and since they made sure to make it almost entirely multiplayer (for obvious reasons of a beta) you cant play it anymore once its closed. But yea, its a really great game and I will probably get it also .

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:45
Hmmm... I wonder if you're still allowed to download it.... And if that key will still work... Hmmm.... the beta is quite big file wise, and make sure you try out Chaos Space marines... Defilers are fun.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:58 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 07:02
im trying now looks hopeful

No its not

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 07:06
they tend to keep the files online, but there is no way to access it indirectly anymore.

so i guess i'll have to wait for a friendly person who happens to still have the details to tell me where to grab it
i'm definately getting this game on release though, no doubt about it... kicking ass with the Blood Angels again reminds me of the good ol' days when my 2,500 point army would trounce those of the local GW shops hehee

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 09:01
Yum.

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 17:32
Quote: "I downloaed the Warhammer 40,000 Darn of War Beta.. that came with Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Orcs, and The Eldar.... with online, but no single player besides the tutorial... But I'll try the demo."

Yeah, I played that release when it was available about a month ago but unfortunately didn't like it too much, which is odd because I used to be a huge Warhammer fan. I really liked WH40K: Chaos Gate and WH40K: Final Liberation but for some reason Dawn of War just didn't seem to do it for me. Oh well, I guess Final Lib will remain my all time favourite.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 22:35
Final Liberation... bleck!
I swear Chaos Gate, Final Lib and well all of the Space Hulks should be banished from the gaming community forever... Reign of Chaos wouldn't be that far behind either.

The games single play is kinda, i dunno... it's like playing C&C Generals really. It is fun, but the game really comes into it's own against other people I think.
What interests me is the online campaign mode, that looks very interesting, along with the customisation directories I've found.

So looks like they've built the game for potencial modding later on, to keep WH40K fans like myself happy.

Heh, i should try and find my old dreadnought before they brought into play the 'fair play' rules...
I'd given him a multimelta on each arm, then drilled a hole through them ... enlonged the turret parts melting them together, added a set of Arms for close combat then sliced down the original weapons so they were nice and squared off behind them.

was like most of my vehicle points for my army at the time, but considering i only had the dreadnought and rhino thought it was cool.

i did some other inventive customisations, which the new rules said i couldn't have. that said not played in like 5years now really. since they introduced the new rules.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 22:52
Final Lib was a perfect recreation of the tabletop game, and considering it was made 7 years ago, the game itself isn't too bad either. Hence why it appealed to the hardcore Warhammer fans and not gamers.

Obviously Dawn of War is aimed at the general gamer, which is why the similarity between it and Warhammer 40k basically ends at the Army's and their units. The whole concept of DoW's play is akin to games like C&C and Starcraft - you gather resources and build units as you play. Warhammer has always been about creating an army before the game and using strategy to outsmart and beat your opponent, turn-based play fit this style of table-top gaming perfectly.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 23:08
Yeah, but you see there is the problem for me...
Final Liberation was a recreation of the table-top game, but it lacked things which made the game fun.

namely the fact that well your playing against a computer opponent, although yeah it had a basic multiplayer mode.
really it was like playing Civilisation or Alpha Centuri online, that isn't to say they were bad... but they're just best really left to the table-top imo.

It's like the whole RPG argument really.
Why utilise something capable of real-time tactics and effects when all your going to do is perfectly recreate the tabletop version?

At the end of the day it is more sociable and fun to play it with mates over a table because you can sit there and watch the look on his face as your pysche performs an 'eye of terror' and watch as several of his squads break with there being nothing he can do about it.

There also was little in the way of customisation or feel that you were really playing the game. In final lib it was far more about 'who has the biggest army', would win.
Although this is really just as true for the table top game when playing against more powerful foes, what I like about Dawn of War is actually... although yeah it is C&C style real-time strategy, it is also highly tactical.

You can throw a small poorly equipped squad in a bunker and tell them to hold thier ground, instantly they become harder to hit and thier weapons are more accurate.

If your men fall in battle you call reinforcements, or if you look like you might loose the fight you can quickly hand on a missile launcher to try and even the odds.

Defeating certain vehicles is impossible with head-on pure numbers tactics, you have to split your forces into groups and attack from a few sides dropping meta-bombs on them to take them out with the least casualties.

If you squad breaks due to a certain enemy inducing fear or such, you have the option to have them stand and fight disorganised, retreat to a safer place or find some lead to join the squad and rally them.

although the concepts are set in real-time, the game is as tactical as it ever was. the problem lies that your now in commands of your troops in real-time, you can't sit there and think about a move for 20minutes, your pressured to quickly acess a situation and act.

single player ai sucks for tacticas and forcing you to think much, but multiplayer against other people... you see them using bunkers so to stop them taking advantage you'd run your land raider full speed over them (hehe squidge), or they're attacking you in a point which is more open... so you put your squad into a prone stance and minimise the damage you'll take.

imo it is far better than final lib ever was, not becuase of graphics or such but because of the sheer gameplay element.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 05:04
it looks like a great game and if i like the game i will buy it, i have always liked the C&C series and Starcraft (i pwn at that) and i played warhammer (then 40K) since year 5 or 6

Quote: "
So looks like they've built the game for potencial modding later on, to keep WH40K fans like myself happy."
that'll be fun seeming as i like making minor mods for games

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 05:20
Any chances to see the imperial guard ?
I would love to see my Valhallan soldiers on PC.

Quote: "So looks like they've built the game for potencial modding later on, to keep WH40K fans like myself happy"

Then Fear Natasha, she'll be the leader of the mounted troups.

- Mind the gap -
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 05:58
Natasha?

i want the imperial guard ones built for the amargeddon campaing, forgotten the name etc (the ones with gas masks that look like they b from ww1)

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:07
Quote: "i want the imperial guard ones built for the amargeddon campaing, forgotten the name etc (the ones with gas masks that look like they b from ww1)"

I suppose you're talking about the steel legion

Quote: "Natasha?"

Yeah, that's how I called the commander of my mounted squad ... she looks great

- Mind the gap -
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:11
cool, primarily i collected undead still got um somewhere and ive got an imperial guard army and Salamander

yes i do mean steel legion, they rule

+ i never saw the point in mounted troops, have tanks instead + i assume u had a valhalla army then (i dont take many things in)

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:21
I still have a Valhalla Army

Well, I got the mounted troops for some reasons :
- I send them quickly to the other side, to slow the ennemy down
- When non-player saw me play against some other race, they said my army was too simple, too "human". So I decide to make some conversions (no horses )

And whatever Raven thought, I still do believe Warhammer does not disgust that much people on these forums

- Mind the gap -
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:33
Quote: "I send them quickly to the other side, to slow the ennemy down"
and die

i like the tactics of Warhammer, but the futuristic, shooty shootyness of 40K, ah those were the days (i was also more nerdy )

Quote: "Natasha Karmikouva rulez"

hmmmm

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:33
heh Warhammer disgusts me
Warhammer40k is the way to go... let the Emperor's children guide you to an early grave

it is a subject which generally speaking is seen as a nerd hobby, like D&D, or Magic the Gathering.

i mean don't get my wrong, i like all of them... but my brothers are Sooo into them they go to conventions all dressed up and start acting like retards.
fancy dress is all well and good, but erm, it is a lil disturbing from so-called grown-ups.

personally i've always far prefered the painting side of things though, i mean got into it like when i was knee-high-to-a-knipper... ya know when everything was still lead and the Rouge Trader was seen as the GW Bible
(i still have my rouge trader too)

it does look fantastic to have like a set-peice of models that you've worked long and hard getting the colour schemes right, adding realism and such.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:34
yeah, i loved painting the models, but i never had the time, and i still dont

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:55
i never have the cash
they're so expensive... if i got some i'd make the time though heh

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 07:04
yup, i know what u mean, i never had anyhing to spend my money on though ahh those were the days: no homework and lots of sleep and fun

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:24:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:24:00