Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / what is the difference between Visual-C++ and Dev-C++ ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 20:28
I have Dev-C++, but what is actually the difference?

will a V-C++ work with Dev-C++ ?

I am not cool anymore... or am I?
http://n0id.proboards28.com/index.cgi - please join
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 23:13
Visual C++ is by Microsoft using the Microsoft C Compiler, which contains specific compile routines and options which help development for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh Systems.

Dev C++ is by Bloodshed using the GCC Compiler, which is basically the standard all-round compiler which does what it says on the tin, nothing more and nothing less.
Generally this is the best option for multiplatform development.

Honestly speaking, the Microsoft route is actually the simplist and easiest.
Learning Visual C++ and Codewarrior are probably the smartest things you can do if your planning on taking your programming to the professional level.

if not, then try everything and choose what you prefer.
Multiplatform-wise personally I use MinGW and MinGW Developer Studio... because it works perfectly on Linux/Unix/Solaris/Windows/MacOSX, plus it has a very nice front-end.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 23:30
I'm not sure of the intricacies - but the visual part means you get a windows control form system bunged in - like if you were writing a quick application (is there such a thing with C++?), you could use the built in controls to make your GUI and it would be 100% windows interface. Things like file selectors, drop down boxes, even buttons are time consuming things to make, with Visual, it's pretty much all done for you - you even get an Excel style grid control. I use VB a lot, and the gadgets do make life easier for creating user friendly apps.

But, if you just want to make games, then Dev-C++ is free, clean, and does'nt come with the same baggage as VisualC++.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 00:12
visual c++ is 10 times better, dev c++ lacks a resource editor and it does not intergrate with the directx sdk

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:34
I prefer the Visual Studio editor, but Dev C++ is free, VS isn't.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 19:35
thanks guys, I know have a clearer look at the difference.

I have thoughts on beginning with c++, but I will go step by step..

darkbasic, blitz3d, playbasic, java or php, delphi(wich I know a little already) and then finnaly c++.

I was thinking on starting with the easiest and contine up to the harder languages (as you might have seen from that list) and well I was just curious about the differences...

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 01:09
Quote: "darkbasic, blitz3d, playbasic"

There's no point learning all of those. They're all BASIC and DB is the best one.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 01:16
Yeah, knowing 1 language inside out is better than knowing 5 languages. Good coding is more about how you solve problems than what languages you can code in - it does take years to get to a good level, but you get there quicker if you ride the same bus all the way.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:33
Quote: "darkbasic, blitz3d, playbasic"

They're all pretty similar, same with QuickBasic, Liberty Basic, and RealBasic. Only True BASIC is that much different but you'll probably never use any of them or only 1 or 2.

Quote: "java or php"

My vote goes to PHP because it'll be more useful in the long run. I'd only learn Java (which I really dislike) unless you want to get a head start for University level programming. Although, Java can help you to learn C++ so if that's you eventual goal you might want to learn it. If you learn PHP you should maybe think about learning Perl ast some point (PHP is a decendant from Perl). Of all the langauges I use at my job (Matlab, C, QuickBasic, MASM, Perl, Euphoria, Fortran) Perl I probably use the second most.

Quote: "delphi(wich I know a little already)"

If you know a bit already maybe you should start there or learn Pascal and move to Delphi (Delphi is what Object Pascal on crack would be like if programming languages could take drugs). The FreePascal Project has an excellent multi-platform compiler for free (including 64-bit chips now). You can get it at www.freepascal.org.

Another possibilty would be to learn just plain old C before C++. C's relatively easy to learn and is very similar to C++ (obviously). It's also a language that is used a lot and you'll actually get a chance to use in the real world.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:56
Quote: "They're all pretty similar, same with QuickBasic, Liberty Basic, and RealBasic. Only True BASIC is that much different but you'll probably never use any of them or only 1 or 2."

i've used them all... sorry but BASICs are like finger prints, no two are exactly the same.
which is actually bloody annoying, insanely so.

because you'd do something and expect it to work and it doesn't simply because they're all different.

I'd say the key BASIC to learn would be qBasic and PureBasic.
They're both quite in-depth and cover alot of the programming symantics you'll take to the next-step languages.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 08:03
w00t, I started on qb.
For my "transition" to C++ (god I'm such a n00b) I'm playing around with Torque.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 13:52
Quote: "i've used them all... sorry but BASICs are like finger prints, no two are exactly the same.
which is actually bloody annoying, insanely so."

Quite true but a QBasic programmer can read Liberty Basic code with little to no help but True BASIC is less readable unless you know "oldschool" BASIC. They're not the same but it takes little to make the transition from one to the other.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont start with an engine. It's the worst mistake you can ever do. Go pure non-glut OpenGl or DirectX. I suggest OpenGL because its cross-platform. Once you have don that, get some basic tutorial where you rotate a cube. Voila, now you have a rotating cube. The best part is that you didnt use any engine or glut. And adding things now is a snap

Have fun.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 16:38
hm, thanks for the tips, starting with OpenGL straight after darkbasic might not be such a good idea I guess, db uses direct x, but that is not why; I have no clue how to write anyhting in c++, so, I'll wait with that I guess.

I saw an example in my dev-c++ folder of an window where it was nothing in it.. the code was on 20-30 lines!!
in db that would only be 'set window on'

I can choose between learning Java, VB, C, Flash and stuff here at my school, I am not so sure if we can learn C, but I guess so.. I think I will choose that then, or VB, or Java... and then C..

anyway.. my pal knws delphi quite good, (and php), but he has never managed to make a game in it.. is it really that hard?
I have plans on making games when I quit school and do that as for wroking (hoping to get a place in Eidos Interactive!! not that it would ever happen, but...)

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 22:16
Quote: "anyway.. my pal knws delphi quite good, (and php), but he has never managed to make a game in it.. is it really that hard?"

Neither are really hard but they aren't necessarily game making languages. Delphi's more of an application language while PHP is for web based programming. You can make games in both but only PHP would be really useful for a game (and then only if its multiplayer).

Quote: "I have plans on making games when I quit school and do that as for wroking (hoping to get a place in Eidos Interactive!! not that it would ever happen, but...)"

Well, we all do. The language of choice in the real world is C++ but many games made by smaller studios are now web-based Flash games instead.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 22:26 Edited at: 17th Sep 2004 22:26
Quote: "Well, we all do. The language of choice in the real world is C++ but many games made by smaller studios are now web-based Flash games instead. "

i know..

c++ is something I MUST learn, my teacher here knows c, maybe he could help me...

wonder how itl be in 10 years... maybe there wont be programmers... you say what you want to happen and the computer does so.. or even better, you think of something and the computer does it.. using Pentium 4 Ex-SED 9600....(p4 extreme spring edition 9600 Ghz) what is the point in that?

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Learning your first programming lang is the hardest, but once learn learning the others will be easy.

I do DBP,Java,C++(still learning, but learning it is easy).
I use Borland and Code Warrior for my C++.

If you learn Java you have to learn one thing. Java is changing tecnology and is a very neat programming lang and the syntax is very close to C++.

Are you a leader or follower.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 01:37
Quote: "For my "transition" to C++ (god I'm such a n00b) I'm playing around with Torque."

Ouch! Why do that? Every C/C++ course I've taken (and I've taken lots), start out with console programming. No, that doesn't mean Xbox or PS2, it means the Command Prompt. Things like arrays, sorting functions, linked lists, classes, etc. etc. An OpenGL/DirectX engine is like a bajillion times more complicated than console programming.

Quote: "wonder how itl be in 10 years... maybe there wont be programmers... you say what you want to happen and the computer does so.. or even better, you think of something and the computer does it.."

Nonono! Then they won't need programmers and we'll all be out of jobs! Programming is FUN. True programmers are like artists.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 07:44
Quote: "Ouch! Why do that? Every C/C++ course I've taken (and I've taken lots), start out with console programming. No, that doesn't mean Xbox or PS2, it means the Command Prompt. Things like arrays, sorting functions, linked lists, classes, etc. etc. An OpenGL/DirectX engine is like a bajillion times more complicated than console programming."

That's exactly where you should start to learn the basics. After you learn the basic's then you can mess around with real game code.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 07:53
It's a weird shift to to C++ after so long with BASIC,

Quote: "[quote]Quote: "Ouch! Why do that? Every C/C++ course I've taken (and I've taken lots), start out with console programming. No, that doesn't mean Xbox or PS2, it means the Command Prompt. Things like arrays, sorting functions, linked lists, classes, etc. etc. An OpenGL/DirectX engine is like a bajillion times more complicated than console programming.""

That's exactly where you should start to learn the basics. After you learn the basic's then you can mess around with real game code.[/quote]

Sorry guys, to be specific I started out with a C++ for Dummies book, then got the book+trial for torque to see how things are handled when you're not dinking around with BASIC. TorqueScript has some weird stuff in comparison to C, but for the most part you can use the standard syntax and get away with it(or just license and get the source), the only problem is that it's typeless.

At the same time I'm taking a C++ course at school where we're dealing with console programs. The only problem with the course is that we're using VC++ 6, and I've only got Borland and DJGPP at home.

So, that was bad advice. Torque has its uses though...........

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:34:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:34:01