Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Does your computer sound like a fridge?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Topic.

I have eleven fans. It runs like a fridge.(REALLY loud)

But I need all of these fans.

3 Fans for Raid SCsi(15000 Rpm)
1 Fan for the video card
2 Cpu fans(Thermaltake) - I have a dual
2 on my 800 wat PS

And two+one fan is mounted on my case.

So I was wondering... Should I go with Water koolance or something because I cant sleep with this beast on ><
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:10
Why in the world would you leave it on while you sleep? That burns the hardware out twice as fast!

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:12
11! - I have, erm 2!

Go for a water cooling system if you can afford it - there's no real way to effectively keep 11 fans quiet.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:12 Edited at: 16th Sep 2004 01:13
remove those fans and go for passive cooling (zalman has good stuff)

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/usa_index.asp

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:13
I use those blue ice packs for my laptop

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 01:15
My pc was VERY loud, but after replacing hard disk with nice quiet barracuda one, removing fan from graphics card (Geforce4 Ti4600) and replacing with HUGE heatsink and pipe construction, replacing case fan and processor fan with new quiter ones, I am very happy with new quietness.

Agree with Mouse that turning off overnight is best idea.

Bet your electric bill is pretty high as well...

Boo!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 02:06
My case holds the sound in pretty well. I've only got two fans as well (no fan on GPU). The only sound I ever notice comes from the CD-ROM drives, which are the only remaining part from the original computer I got at Circut City and thus suck.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 02:10
Quote: "Does your computer sound like a fridge?"

my fridge gives off a very low hum/whine, only people with sharp hearing will actually notice it.
does my PC sound the same?
yeah it does, because I have a liquid cooling system which is basically a fridge attached to a 5.25" drive space.

it gives me a headache after too long use, but then so does using my TFT monitor. a bane of having sensitive hearing i guess.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 03:00 Edited at: 16th Sep 2004 03:02
Quote: " Why in the world would you leave it on while you sleep? That burns the hardware out twice as fast!"

How do you figure that it burns the hardware twice as fast? I had a Sun at my work that was up and running continuously for 10 years until we replaced it with a Linux box (which never goes down either). I do the same with my Windows PCs and I've yet to see a problem on any of them but I've had problems with laptop disk drives that wore out from all that turning on and off.

Well, my computer only has 3 fans (plus 2 more from my external HDs) and is completely quiet (with the exception of one DH that wines alot).
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 03:22
There's still 2 opinions about switching PC's off, some say it causes more damage to power down then up, and others say you should switch them off when not in use. Personally I think it's machine specific - a lot of cheaper components are simply not designed to run constantly, but if you spend the extra on better components they can run happily for days.

That's why you should never ever skimp when buying a server, installed a nice new expensive server at work at the start of the year, can't remember having to reboot it once. Maybe we should just buy servers and stick good gfx cards in them .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 05:06 Edited at: 16th Sep 2004 05:08
Quote: "yeah it does, because I have a liquid cooling system which is basically a fridge attached to a 5.25" drive space."

Woah, how did you manage to fit a fridge in that small a space

Quote: "Why in the world would you leave it on while you sleep? That burns the hardware out twice as fast!"

For downloading. We sometimes leave this computer on all night and hey, its lasted 3 years so far!

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't hear my computer even when it's doing complicated math.
But my DVD drive makes a somewhat loud sound.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:27
yeah it is the whole get what you pay for scenario really...
personally I only switch off my machines for repair/replacement/upgrades, generally speaking aside from if they crash and reboot; all of my machines are on 24/7

i have a Pentium2 Machine which is sitting here and only has attached basically what it needs (as it serves as a server/test machine).

it hasn't been shutdown in almost 2years now. (effectively when i installed WindowsXP on it)

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 07:58
My computer has 7 fans, and I hardly notice the sound. It's quiter than the case I had with only two fans. I usually leave my computer on through the day, but shut it off when I go to sleep.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
My main problems are these:

2 Fans+Really bad fan on the PS and 2xBIG Fans on my SCSI hard drives.

Also did u hear scsi hd work? Well imagine that sound X2, that's really loud. I mean REALLY!

So I am probably switching to water koolance
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 00:04
yeah, alot of fans are quite loud though unless you buy expensive ones... which if your going to splash out like £75 on 3 fans just to keep things cool and quiet, you might as well spend £50 on getting a water cooling solution.

kinda ridiculous really...
as for SCSI drives, yeah i have 7 of them in my machine right now... i can't say i've ever noticed them to be noisey.

they're all IBM/Hitachi though, maybe they're quieter than other brands, last time i had a different brand of HDD (scsi) was erm... back when 150MB was an unbelieveable large hdd lol

Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 00:17
the one i just built is quite loud actually, my old one is quieter.

the new one has 2 case fans, 1 on HD, 1 on GP and one in the PSU i think

wow, 5 fans!

I don't have a sig, live with it.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:10
What you need is this for 11 fans.
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556007715.html

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:12
i want to keep my PCs on all the time, but my dad has a go at me because i wouldnt be there in the day

:: Pulse Board Forums :: WOO Halo 2 Limited Edition for £34.99 EARLY ::
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:54
...don't you catch a cold with all that fans?

My English is not so good I'm just French
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 14:18
My PC has 2 fans, and it's louder than my fridge. Darn loud.

I really have to set some money aside for passive cooling. Forget about using a microphone with this PC for any recording.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
my psu makes all the noise, im waiting for a new one to arrive from aria- its been 2 weeks now, should have been 3 days.

4 fans: GPU, CPU, MB and PSU, but the first 3 are silent.

water coolings good if ur an enthusiast, but if not then your wasting a lot of money.

if u want silencing, buy bigger fans, they can put more air thru at a lower speed, so make less noise. alsop, get padding which dampens sound and vibrations in the case.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 21:46 Edited at: 18th Sep 2004 21:50
My computer is in a server case, so already its nice 'n roomy. I've got a 120mm Antec Illuminated fan mounted on the side, and a PCI slot turbine below my graphics card (Here). The fans are controlled by a custom control panel on the front, with green illuminated switches. Me comp looks sw33t Does sound much like a fridge though

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:20:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:20:52