Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Fable-somebody was bound to post it

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 07:46
Ran out and got Fable last night. It definitely does not live up to what Molyneaux originally preached, but dang is it fun.

The expressions add a whole new level to the game, as well as figuring out how to juggle good and evil. This little girl was looking for her teddy bear. I came across this little kid being bullied by a bigger kid. The small kid had the girl's teddy bear, and he asked me to help him get rid of the bully, and the bully said the little kid was irritating him and playing with his sister's bear. So I hit the little kid to get the bear, and the bully kid was pretty happy with me until I turned around and socked him and he ran away like a little girl.

People around town were saying, "That boy will steal your apples as soon as help you with your chores."

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I preordered it off Amazon, it said it should come today, but it still hasn't.

Got anime?I do.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 07:49
OVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER RATED

Infra-Dark
Bring the 20 liners back!
#coding, like coding, but with a #
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 08:02
Darwin's got it exactly right.

I love how every single really cool feature promised before release never made it into the game. As a friend of mine who was looking forward to the game put it, they lied through their teeth. No fathering children, you can't play as a female, no dynamic progression between age periods, no non-linear play... it's all the same going back and doing it over again. And it's short. Ugh.

On the other hand, that same friend said that if you put all the expectations and promises again, it was a decent fun RPG.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 09:06
I can't say I'm surprised that people are disapointed with it - personally I doubt I'll check it out.

I've followed Molyneux's work for years, and I can't think of a game of his that I genuinely like - there's things about them that I like, but I just don't find them fun, although I think I should. I think he's got some great ideas, but it'a like he gets all the accolade whether the game is any good or not, just on the strength of what he says in interviews. I often enjoy games inspired by him, like MegaLoMania (based loosely on populous) and Sacrifice (similar to Promised Lands and B&W).

Feable (sic) should have been the game where you get to do what the hell you like, but there it is again, we can't avoid it - THE FREAKIN PLOT.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 10:19
Actually the plot rather sucked. Fifteen hours max, and thirty hours of gameplay if you did any side-quests. If you're not going to make a game non-linear what's the point of making the plot short? Molyneux should've had an editor for his design document

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 15:08
Wow guys. Think: it was bound to be a disappointment if you took it to actually be what it was advertised. I've never met a game before where you got to mess around with NPCs like that, and that's basically what the game is about, interacting with NPCs.

Sony stole our name!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 20:09
Off topic: what does "(sic)" mean? It has been bugging me for ages!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 20:50
sic comes from sic transit gloria mundum (there but for the grace of god go I), it means you are either quoteing something that was spelt wrongly or had an incorrect meaning, or in this case "I am aware this spelt wrong but it is more appropriate" , basicly it means don`t quote me, but this is what I read it as .

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 05:39
Quote: "I've never met a game before where you got to mess around with NPCs like that, and that's basically what the game is about, interacting with NPCs."

Fallout 2 (and possibly Fallout 1) was very, VERY good at allowing different levels of interaction with NPCs.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 05:51
Quote: "I've never met a game"
Me niether, played a few, but never met one.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 13:59

I met this one game.......

Sony stole our name!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 17:11
...in bandcamp...

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the game today, and it's quite good, the fact that you can change your hairstyles and all that, and that story, it's not the best, but I've seen worse (Ahem...NIGHTCASTER,AZURIK....Ahem), sorry my cough is coming back, but it is quite fun, wasn't all I wanted since all the stuff was taken out, but I'd buy a sequel if they make it!

Got anime?I do.
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2004 11:04 Edited at: 21st Sep 2004 11:05
heh, yeah it's short i bought it on sat, beat it on sunday as a goodie two shoe's after only 10 hours 52 mins play time, need to start over as a bad boy now

did 26 quests \ 19 core and 7 optional
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2004 11:48
The only Lionhead game i'm looking forward to is going to be free to download and is being created completely by one of the new artists who is doing it as part of learning and understanding DirectX as a personal project.

tell ya what if i ever meet the bloke in the comming years i'm going to buy him as many rounds as he wants, cause this is one hell of a brave move on his part, even more over it shows that alot of artists aren't purely pretty faces when it comes to the programming side of things.

Ragdoll Kung-Fu is definately a title well worth following.
Innovative, Stylish and so damn Stereotypical it is awesome. Can see it having a large following once it is finally released.
Especially with the multi-mouse support on a single system, that just looks mental!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Havn't seen anything on it Raven.

Got anime?I do.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2004 22:48
Hmmmm, he's being paid incredibly well to work on his own little project...

He should be buying us pints, all of us! - we do that for free!. Personally I like the games where the author puts his heart and soul into the game, when it's a solo project, like Captive on the ST, or Llamatron, or most of Sid Meiers games, they always have a completeness that other games tend not to have.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:27:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:27:16