Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Reality factory?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 09:29
I have been programming (if you can call it that) with DB lightly for the past year, I have completed NOTHING! No games, no programs, and nothing to show for my year of game development. But wait! There is a game development software that has a built in set of tools to create games without programming, and also has a scripting language so that you can change the program around? Well supposably Reality factory is that program, or atleast it claims it is, I have yet to try it, but it sound very enteresting, compared to DBC its practically the same (engine wise) as Reality factory uses a Dx 8.1 engine. So is Reality factory worth looking into? Or is it just a waste of time, and I should keep using DBC to make a little bit of nothing?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 09:36
Well, honestly, if you've made a lot of nothing over the course of a year, you've got no one to blame but yourself. I'm sure you've seen the many projects that get completed here, so you can't say it's the language's fault.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 09:58
Did I say its the languages fault? find a statement in the above paragraph that says its the languages fault, because I know its not there. I know I can only blame myself, I havnt spent as much time with it as I should.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 12:29
Quote: "Did I say its the languages fault? find a statement in the above paragraph that says its the languages fault, because I know its not there."

You implied it by saying that you've been programming in DB for a year and have achieved nothing and that this other program might actually help you get something done. I personally have never even heard of the program so I cannot comment.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 14:15
Sounds a bit Games Factory-like. But, hey, I like the Games Factory

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 14:24
Quote: "You implied it by saying that you've been programming in DB for a year and have achieved nothing and that this other program might actually help you get something done. I personally have never even heard of the program"

I never specifically said that DB was the cause of my problems, yes I did implie that I had not achieved anything, but do I make it clear that that fault lies with DB? No, in fact I could have been implying that the fault lies with me, and that my shortcomings with this software was caused by my own lack of patience, and complete lazyness.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 14:39
Quote: "my own lack of patience, and complete lazyness."

The program you stated sounds like The 3D Game Maker ( a GameCreator's product ), which are usually simple to use and involve a drag and drop method of creating games.

The problem with them is that they tend to be limited in the originality factor.

Major Payne, don't feel like you haven't accomplished anything. I have been using DBP since the Alien Ware comp, and I don't have much to show for it besides an understanding of the language and a few code snippets that could be usefull every now and then.

You can't expect to just be able to dive into making a game ( solo ) and complete it within a year. It just doesn't happen ( unless of course you have a brain like Steven Hawkings ).

My advice is to stick at it. I take it your a hobbiest, most likely a teen at school ( just like myself ), so you don't have anything to lose by programming. You seem to like it as you are on the forums regularily, and you seem to be enthusiastic enough to want to make a game, so why not stick with it, and just build up your knowledge of the language a bit more then, if you still feel like you're not acheiving anything, you can go to a click and drag development tool.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 15:20
I don't think Reality Factory is what you're looking for. It's mainly used for those "Incredible Machine" type games. I'm assuming from your previous posts that you're interested in military action.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2004 19:56
Quote: "I never specifically said that DB was the cause of my problems, yes I did implie that I had not achieved anything, but do I make it clear that that fault lies with DB? No, in fact I could have been implying that the fault lies with me, and that my shortcomings with this software was caused by my own lack of patience, and complete lazyness."

Let me rephrase: "Your post came off in a way that sounds like you were implying DB is the reason you haven't made anything in the past year."

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 02:20
Well that wasnt I was implying. In fact I love the program, I wish I would have known about it earlier, because its so easy to make something, a complete game might be pretty difficult, but that can only be blamed on my lack of knoledge regarding the language and engine. Actually Im very close to completing my first game! Its a military stradegy/puzzle game, that challenges you to use a number of objects (machine guns, landmines, those metal spikey things, those wooden produding off the beach things) to stop an invading force! Its a ways off, but Im confident this will be the one! The reason I was lookin into Reality Factory was becuase I didnt think my project was going anywere, but merix helped me out and now I say "reality factory, go shove it!".

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 03:02
Quote: "reality factory, go shove it!"

w00t

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:30:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:30:25