Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A WIP of a game i'm making - testing time

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 14:05 Edited at: 19th Sep 2004 14:11
I've recently sent this file to 2 friends of mine, one of them could not get it to work on his computer.

I want to see if anyone else experiences this problem. [edit] He describes the problem like this.. "It appears to start loading up but immediately quits before anything is shown to the screen"

The link for my game is here [href]http://members.shaw.ca/creeo/Tank Demo.exe[/href]

Extremely sorry i dont have screenshots, putting the game up has knocked my memory usage down for adding some to my hosting server.

I know i could've posted this in a different section, however because it is a work in progress.. i thought either or would do.

[edit] PS - It's extremely bareboned.. so i'm quite surprised as to the reason it might not work on his computer.

Thanks for the comments in advance

- Merix
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 14:22
To add to my last post, he has an ati radeon 9200 card, 256 mb of ram, forget his processor speed, but it's about 1.5ghz if i remember correctly.

- Merix
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 15:02
I'll take it that the 28 people who've read this post.. it all worked for them.. And assume that it's my friends computer who isnt working for some reason

- Merix
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 15:05 Edited at: 19th Sep 2004 15:13
ok fine.. screen shot in case no one wants to download due to that fact.. But like i said, there isnt much here.

Arrow keys move you around... A turns the turret left, D turns it right.

- Merix
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloading...

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 15:14
Thanks Ilya.. A couple people have messaged me saying it works on their cpu's.. so my guess is it's my friends.. some kinda problem his cpu has. That's ok, i dont like him much anyways (j/k)

But glad to know that it seems(for the most part) to be working on other cpu's.

- Merix
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
It works fine on my PC.
P4 3Ghz HT
1GB Ram
FX 5200

How do I shoot/run the person over?

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But glad to know that it seems(for the most part) to be working on other cpu's."

His graphics card is probably the problem.
He might need to update his drivers/install DirectX 9.0c

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 15:19
Like i said, it's -extremely- bare bones right now, currently i dont have the ability for either.. as for running over, i probably wont add that in, on the other hand.. i will probably add in the ability to shoot(once i figure out how to get it to shoot properly.. had a couple goes at it but it's evil)

If you've ever played phobia, that was my plan with this game.. basically there'll be a big level with a bunch of pillars and stuff.. aliens will appear from each corner of the screen and start rushing toward you.. as you take them down you get points.

Different levels will make different layouts.. ie, one level there'll be lots of -statues- to make the aliens slide around them to get at you.. other levels will be completely open.

I dont want to get ahead of myself though, because i know what that's like.. so i'm going to leave it at that.

Next on the list of things to do is get the bullets working properly.

- Merix
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 15:20
Quote: "His graphics card is probably the problem.
He might need to update his drivers/install DirectX 9.0c
"

I upgraded his cpu to directx 9.0c just the other day, havent upgraded his graphics card yet.. but i believe he has the current version for his card(i made him do it awhiles back).

- Merix
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Worked for me.

256 ram
1.6 GHZ
geoforce 3 ti 200

but i think it's his 256 ram, because i got crashes from my game because of low memory.

see if he could turn of other applications and try running it again.
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 01:40
I'd be highly surprised if it's the 256 of ram...

My little demo here, surely cant take many resources up, only 3 .x files and three textures(small ones too)..

However, i'll tell him to try that.. When you got your crashes did it give you an error, or the same as i described above.. goes to a black screen for a moment(the initialization screen) and the just returns to windows?

- Merix
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
it just crashed, returned to windows with no error message.

I've discovered it wasn't because any models i've loaded, it's because i'ved used many MANY arrays, most integers.
so, if you have many arrays, making some into boolean,byte,word,dword would really save up memory.
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 03:26
I have no arrays either

Thanks for the help.. i'm taking the demo down to get my server space back

- Merix

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:12:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:12:46