Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Kiss My Asp! ... Compo entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 05:41 Edited at: 4th Oct 2004 07:07
[Edit] Click Here to download demo [/Edit]

Here is a few screenshots of my competition entry. I am still a couple of days away from a demo.
I doubt very much that I will have time to put everything into the game that I want but I will give it a damn good go.

Anyway some pictures:

There will be four snakes (you and 3 AI) in later levels but in the football level it is just the two of you.

Scraggle

Mahadeva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 05:56
the game is enough good and original.

luck with the game
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 06:19 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2004 17:00
Thanks

Level 1
Football Crazy

You have '90 minutes' (it's actually 2 minutes 38 seconds to synchronize with the music) to score more goals than your opponent. Your Snake can die trying as often as you like, you will only lose out on bonus points for deaths. You get 3 lives and you will only lose one if you fail to beat the opponent (CPU AI) at the end of the game.

I have ideas for another 4 levels so far. But not much in the way of code.

Level 2
Wild West

Here you simply have to collect 20 Sheriff stars.
I haven't got as far with this level yet.
I still need to make one or two more buildings for the level and then lightmap it but this is it so far:

Click to enlarge

Level 3
Egypt

Level 4
Enchanted Forest

Level 5
GraveYard

The only thing I am not sure about is the name. Do you think some people might find it offensive or will it be seen as the 'bit of fun' it is meant to be?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 06:25
good game, better name

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks awesome!

Got anime?I do.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 11:45
wow, I hadn't looked at this thread in a while, this game is looking great! I like the Wild West scene a lot. Remember that the judges probably won't play all 5 levels, so spend more time on the first 2-3, and make them really impressive. if you have more time, then go after level 4-5

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 23:07
Quote: "wow, I hadn't looked at this thread in a while, this game is looking great!"

Thanks Walaber!

High praise indeed for a man of your esteem!

I am hoping to get a demo complete by the end of the day. It all depends on how much 'pooter time the good lady will allow me

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 23:25
i love the looks of it an sure contender if the gameplay is as good as it looks.

1GHZ AMD ATHLON WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 AND 512 MB SDRAM.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 00:25
Looks great, will have a go tonight - I love the themes idea , very nice.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 01:32
i like the cartoony theme

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 06:02
Hi

I have completed a demo of level 1 but I am having problems uploading it and I really could do with some help.

I have created a dbspot account and received this info:
1. FTP Server
2. FTP Username
3. FTP Password
4. My site address

I have downloaded FTP Explorer and tried to set it up for uploading but the info that it requires is:
1. Profile Name
2. Host Address
3. Login
4. Password

I entered my site address as 'Profile Name'
FTP Server as 'Host Address'
FTP Username as 'Login'
and Password as 'Password' (I think I got that one right)

When I Click 'Connect' I get the following log:

If anyone can help me with the connection I would very much appreciate it. Especially as I will need an FTP to upload the completed game.

Thanks.

Scraggle

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 06:26
Is user case sensitive, should it be scraggle not Scraggle?

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 07:01
Yes!

Thank you BatVink

Uploading Demo now.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 07:31 Edited at: 26th Sep 2004 08:16
OK the demo is ready.

It is a 15Mb download so you will need broadband or a lot of patience to download it. Click Here to download.

I have bypassed the menus for the demo so you go straight into level 1. It is not complete yet but it will give you an idea of the game.

It should be locked at 30FPS but clicking on SHIFT will max everything out and run the game at full speed and max frame rate. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the FPS you get after clicking SHIFT. Click RETURN to return to 30FPS.

The level will not end when the timer expires (it will when complete) So you can keep playing as long as you like.

I will post demos of the other levels as they are completed. The core game is almost complete so the new levels and new objectives shouldn't take too long to introduce.

I would appreciate ideas, suggestions, constructive critisism and of course, the FPS after pressing the SHIFT key.

Thanks

Scraggle

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 09:32
looks quite fun.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 15:12 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2004 15:13
A little more info - should you need it.

The arrow keys are used to control your snake.

You control the yellow snake - The blue snake is computer controlled.

The object of this level is to score more goals than the computer but in the demo the check has been removed so it will continue playing indefinately.

If you try to turn your snake but it continues in a straight line that is because if it made the turn it would die! There is a little AI on your own snake aswell - It cannot self terminate . However, it will not turn to avoid death so you can still die by failing to turn.

It is not important how you hit the football. You don't have to aim it, it will lob into the opponents goal whichever angle you 'kick' it.

The game in the demo is running at beginners speed. In the full version you will be able to change it to run faster. Of course, regardless of the speed you choose at the start it will get faster as you progress.

Enjoy!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 17:24
Quote: "looks quite fun."

Thanks - Have you tried it?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 18:19
i did... pretty nice so far!! the graphics are cute, and the game ran very smooth.

overall I think it's a really good start!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 18:31
Thanks walaber - what frame rate do you get after pressing SHIFT?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 00:05
a very stable 90fps.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 01:12
Thank you

Any one else tried it yet?

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I lost 20 to 40.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 07:44
Quote: "I lost 20 to 40."

But did you enjoy it?
Do you have any suggestions?
And what fram rate did you get after pressing the shift key?

I am considering changing the speed of the snakes so that the CPU snakes run slightly slower than the human controlled snakes and increases as levels progress. Unfortunately although this sounds like a good idea, the way I have been coding it it will take a major overhaul.

Also I want to include hats in the game if I have time.
The hats would appear at random intervals and in random places and picking one up/wearing it will give the player special powers.

1. Cowboy Hat - gives the player a six gun. Shooting the opposition in the head will kill him.

2. Wooly hat - Freezes the opposition for a set time

3. Firemans hat - Burns the opposition

4. Witches Hat - Gives you partial invisibility and allows you to pass through objects/snakes.

5. Robin Hood Hat - Robs segments from the largest CPU snake and gives them to you.

Maybe some other hats for reversing player controls and other 'stuff'.

Any input is very welcome

Thanks

Scraggle

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 09:28
It's looking good, but a couple of things:

1. It's more a game of chance than skill. Most of the time, it depends on where the ball appears.

2. There is no incentive for being a big snake. I would suggest the score increases with your size, maybe evry 5 segments or so to give you something to strive for.

3. There is a cheat! If you make a "bucket" around the ball, the computer controlled snake goes for the ball, and dies when it can't get back out. Works every time! This gives you a few seconds of sole playing time, and time to set him up again. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But did you enjoy it?"

Yes, it was fun.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Frame rate was 45.
I lost 25 to 65.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 16:32
Thanks for the input.

@Batvink
1. To a certain degree I will agree with you but is that a bad thing? However, I don't agree entirely because as I have been play testing I have developed certain skills (which you call cheats) to enable me to win most times.

2. The incentive for being a big snake is there, you are not aware of it because in the demo the game continues indefinately. However, at the end of the '90 minutes' you are given bonus points for maximum length attained and goal difference.
Also this is only the first level. In other levels the objective is different. For example in level 2 the objective is to reach a length of 20.
The overall objective throughout all the levels is to score points. Bonus points can be obtained for having a long snake, finishing a level quickly and aquiring special pickups.

3. I prefer to think of it as a skill learned rather than a cheat. It is also very easy to trap the CPU snake against the edge by leaving a gap just big enough for him to get in and then closing it off.
It is much easier to pull of these skills if you have a longer snake so that is another incentive for growing.

Thanks for the input. I will always be grateful for constructive critisism. Just remember that the demo you have played is a small sample of the full version and many thing will be different.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 20:51
Sounds like you have my "niggles" covered, Scraggle.

I did find myself using some "skills", and the good thing is that they can also work against you. For example, cutting off a chunk of the pitch while the opponent is respawning is good, but you can actually cut yourself off from the ball

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 07:34
Include a fool's hat and have your controls reversed.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 16:06
Nice idea - Thanks

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 05:20
My apologies to anyone that has tried to download in the last couple of days and failed. I had the file at dbspot which has now ceased to be.

I have changed the link now to a workable one. So the link at the top of this thread works again.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2004 06:26
Update

Level one is now complete.
Level two is near completion.
The rest are sadly still in my head but they will be out of my head and turned into code by the end of October (I hope).

The main update is code optimization. When the game was maxed out to full FPS both myself and Walaber were getting a steady 90FPS but now with a little internal jiggery pokery I have increased that to almost 200FPS even with four snakes on screen simultaniously (you and 3 AI)!

I have the hats in the game now. Only three so far but they are coming.

I have included fruit aswell. Your snake doesn't grow when you eat the fruit it is just there to give extra points. You get a lot of points for eating fruit. I find that it was essential to offer a big reward for eating it otherwise it was simply ignored and the player would go for the main objective instead.

Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to incorperate AI into the hat wearing. So, if a CPU snake gets a hat it simply disappears.

I have yet to incorperate the gameover animation and high score table but when that is in I will upload a new demo (Maybe tomorrow).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 08:32:15
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 08:32:15