Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The New PS2 (PSTwo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 10:49
Aparently whilst i've been gone, something was rife in the rumour mill. Sony were rereleasing the Playstation2.
Now although I already knew that part, what shocked me was this isn't what they've dubbed as the PSX.

In actual fact this has caught me quite off guard for once, as Sony are doing to the PS2 what the Playstation had with the PSOne.
They've made a baby version.

As we know this also was what became the count-down the the Playstation2's release ... so a question could be asked, is this in preparation for the Playstation3?!

Well up until now, i've been wary of getting a Playstation2.
Got one when they were first released and thought 'biggest waste of cash ever'.
Simple reason was it took 3-4 tries to get any games to damn well load on it, as the DVD Drive in it is quite frankly crap!

Thankfully Sony Europe are the brains behind this redesign, and like with the PSOne which SCEE did the redesign for what you are looking at here is far far better quality hardware.

DVD Drive has been totally overhauled, with a guarenteed loading not to mention been actually running quieter and faster.

Further more the console itself is silent! Mainly because they couldn't fit a fan in it, but the fan was another thing that annoyed me being so noisy in the first release.

Also, well just take a look at the pictures. The PS2 now looks very stylish. Not so harshly boxy and gaudy; the wafer thin design and sleek new logo definately look like they will fit right into the living room.

If this wasn't enough, the Ethernet (cable/xDSL modem) is now built-in. So no more worrying about buying that £30 modem, when it comes with it already making it net-ready for all sorts of online action.

It'll be hitting the UK stores November 1st, and will literally just replace the current Playstation2. Carrying the exact same new price tag of £99.99 (£109.99 in Game)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 10:54
This is almost an exact clone of a post in another forum, so I'll duplicate my reply:

(As to fitting a hard drive in the case They could... I've seen big hard drives in some pretty darn slim laptops!

That is a sleek design, isn't it? I don't dish out money on consoles, but that's pretty stylish Smile.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
US Price?

Got anime?I do.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 11:34
:: shrugs :: ... i know the UK and Japanese Release and Prices.
dunno anything about the US news really, not until GameSpy gets it.
They're basically my main source of info for most things.

As for a HDD, yeah they could've fit a nice 60GB in there.
Thing you have to remember though is those HDDs are costly, and probably would mean they would make a loss on it.

Not seen any information regarding HDDs for it though, so i'm not entirely sure how they'll hook up.
Guess i'll find out when i buy it in November heh

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 12:05
I dished out around $320 USD when the PS2 first came out. I never really had any problems with loading games or playing DVDs. The number one thing I like most about Playstation is the MGS games. Those never get boring, and it was the only reason why I bought a PS2, oh and maybe Tekken Tag at the time. Me and my friends played Tekken Tag, and maybe some Tekken 4 every weekend for 3 years straight.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 14:49
This is good. I was thinking about getting a PS2 and catch up on all the current generation games I missed on that console, now life has become easier---when they give me a US release that is.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 16:34 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2004 16:54
*doesnt have any consoles, not even an emulator*

edit: although, have you seen the WIP X-box2?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 17:36
I don't see how Sony can keep a straight face while charging £99 for the PS2, redesigned or not. I think the gamecube is the best designed console by far, the X-Box looks pretty snazzy with a some customisation. My brother has his with a dark purple sticker skin, and some blue LED's on the inside - the badge is scraped so it glows blue - looks like something off Halo . Personally I hate the PS2 design, I hate the DVD drive, I hate the amount of dust these thing suck up - and the metal cheesegrater inside that holds it, and I hate how noisy it is.

I'll probably keep upto date on consoles now though (been meaning to get a gamecube), so I'll be getting a PS3 as long as I don't hate it all too much .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to get this new PS2 for my daughter!!! ......

I might try it out for her...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 18:41
I've seen the box Microsoft reckon the Xenon will go in...
That said considering right now the Xenon is a G5 Tower with 3 Processors, an variant X800 PCI-X, 128MB Ram and a 40GB HDD (plus the same old controllers.

Well god knows what they're going to do to fit everything in there.
Take a hammer and hack saw, cut it in a circle i suppose.

One interesting fact is we had a Blu-Ray from Panasonic for like a month, because Microsoft sent down a new drive and media HD-DVD from Toshiba.
I'm trying to figure out why the hell they'd willingly downgrade, but maybe Sony are playing silly buggers as it's thier technology.

:: shrugs ::

One things for sure, the PS3 is gonna be able to handle almost 2x the amount of data the Revolution and Xenon can.

That said i've seen designed for almost every new console now cept the Revolution, everyone is going for the 'circle' look this season heh

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont get it. It's a PS2 and its new....?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 21:44
It's a revised design, and it's smaller, and there are a couple of improvements (some would say stuff that should have been fine in the first place).

Really though, a PS2 is not the console to go for, I'd keep that £99 and wait for the next generation, or get an X-Box. The PS2 is still going strong, but there's better hardware out there for your money.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 21:45
I hope PS2 goes down to $100 or less.

Here's my forums www.andrewtamalunas.proboards28.com . Please join!
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Van B -> I read his post but still.. PS2 is PS2, you cant make it "better" just by changing how your console looks and sounds.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 22:19
Hehe, I did'nt say it was any better, I said it was improved, mainly the DVD drive - the original DVD drive was rediculously bad. I've had to clean the lens about 4 times on my sons PS2 that he's had for about 2 years, every 6 months you have to open the thing up and clean the head properly (CD lens cleaner kits don't work), not a joyous task.

One thing that annoyed me when they released the PSone, they made it neat and compact - but then got rid of the link-up port, it would have been nice to plonk a PSone in a bag and head of to your pals for some C&C or Doom link up games, but they killed that off at the design stage.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 22:51
I haven't played my PS2 in over a year. I use it to watch DVD's with, and that is it. PS2 is dead. Bring on the next generation

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 23:57
I'm still miffed at paying £299 for my PS2. Like WOLF I haven't played on it for about a year but my flatmates play it all the time. One of them is still trying to complete Gran Turismo 3.

Biggest gripe is definately the fan noise which makes it unusable for watching DVD's so hopefully new one is quiet like Raven says.

Boo!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 00:04
that was really my biggest gripe about the original one too, which seems to be constantly echoed.

the original unlike usual Sony goods seemed like it was done on an extremely tight budget.
i use mine to play DVDs, but when cleaning got to be a chore i thought stuff this and bought a £30 DVD Player.

so my brother mainly uses it. has some good games, but nothing particularly outstanding. the new size, higher quality stuff (particularly the new !!controller!! i broke my by overusing the shoulder buttons in Tekken but my PSOne controller has lasted me for like ever.) ... should make it finally worth the price tag.

It'll probably end up in my car with the LCD screen for portable gaming or dvd's on the go.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I still play the PS1 most days, so I'm happy to get a PS2.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 00:28
Quote: " I've had to clean the lens about 4 times"

It´s the same thing with the Xbox. Though the my GC seams to be totaly imune to any dirt/grit/grime/dust I throw at it. Shame the games only last ten mins...

A bargain at 900000€ second hand
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 00:41
Actually, dust tends not to bother lenses, it's carbonated water crystals on the surface of the laser lens - I kid you not, your CD lens can appear perfectly clean and fine, but still not work.

Using a clean cotton bud (the little plastic sticks with the cotton on each end) and some lens cleaning fluid - you put 1 drop of solution on the lens (let it drip onto it and soak in for a few seconds), then slowly and gently drag one end of your bud over the lens, then repeat with the other side of the bud to dry it completely. CD lenses are damn delicate, so never make do with your sleeve or a tissue anything like that.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont see why consoles take so long to research though, i mean, it cant take that long to find a load of componants to bung together?

and making SDK's cant take long either

so where the hells the PS3?

will we be using biotechnology for games consoles by the time PS5 comes out?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 12:01
I'm interested in this because there's a whole bunch of awesome PS1 and PS2 games I've missed over the past couple generations. Get PSTwo or get the PS3 since the consoles aren't upgrading massively in new generations like they used to?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 12:10
Froogle-> Well, new technology is developed especially for consoles. And a ton of work goes into optimizing speed and size for the consoles, and what size/weight/look customers like best. Same goes for the controllers. Plus mass production has to wait until the hardware it uses is cheap enough, and until there are some launch titles ready.

[center]
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 18:06
I just gaffa taped 2 ps1's together but its not as good as i thought.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 11:40
My home-drilled cooling vents in my laptop also seemed to damage the hardware. That's just bad design. What's up with this lack of user support?

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:27:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:27:01