Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Showing off...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 02:35
Well, I want to announce my current work in progress: In Harm's Way.

It's a top-down RTS style game along the order of C&C and Warcraft. I have chosen for various reasons to do the game entirely in 2D, using images and sprites.

For anybody who's ever played the Half-Life mod known as Natural Selection, you will recognise the style of the game. The player builds a base and deploys his troops throughout an internal-style map (inside the decks of a spaceship, for example), securing resources, capturing ground and ultimately Encountering, Engaging and Eradicating the Enemy (the classic four E's of RTSG's).

Work in progress. At this stage you will see a functional map (tile based - created using an in-house map editor I created for this purpose, specifically) that can scroll around as per the cursor keys or mousing over the edges of the screen. There are three Marines under the player's control, who can be directed as per Warcraft controls - leftclick to select, rightclick to move. As an added feature, double rightclick issues a RUN order, so they move faster. You will see a functional radar map in the corner, which can be leftclicked to snap the view to a particular location or rightclicked to issue orders to selected Marines. Hold SHIFT to select more than one Marine. Leftclick empty space to deselect. Rightclicking in empty space with no Marines selected will one day activate the build menu, but at this stage just plays a sound. There is a very basic pathing feature - the Marines will generally find their own way to any location you ask them to go, but they will sometimes get stuck. They're still a bit stupid until I can devise a solid pathing algorithm. Hold CTRL to quickly review the status of all Marines on the screen (health and ammo - which serve no useful purpose just yet!)

There's nothing to actually shoot yet, and the map is merely a test one. Half-Lifers may recognise a few of the resources I've used in the game - I use them with permission from the team that created them, in the interim between now and recruiting an artist to replace them with original content.

At this stage I am merely showcasing what I am capable of, for the benefit of other newcomers to the language. I have held a copy of Dark Basic Pro for less than a month, and with the aid of the various users who frequent this forum I have learned enough DB programming to come this far in less than two weeks of coding effort on this particular project. I'd like to thank any user who has answered or contributed to the answer to any of my questions I've posted in the last few weeks. You've helped me learn a lot.

I am keeping the source to myself for the moment, as I intend to go places with this game - although it's none to pretty at this stage the core engine is coming along extremely well. However, I'd like to showcase the features I have coded so far in the interest of assisting other newcomers with games of a similar nature. I have crossed a huge numer of bridges in terms of mathematical calculations, complex formula and a wide range of obstacles whose solutions can't directly be seen just by playing the game. My past programming experience has assisted me greatly in overcoming these problems, and I'd like to share my experiences and snippets with anyone encountering a particular problem getting to the stage I am at now.

This Alpha build is showcased on the game's website (which isn't finished either):

http://members.optushome.com.au/sektor/ihw/index.htm

The download link is in the downloads section, from the menu across the top of the page. Compiled package only here, no source.

I am prepared to share the source for my tile-based map editor, if it interests anyone. It is powerful and flexible, despite being extremely simple, and has a few features to assist with map creation.

Anyway, this has been a long post where a short one was intended, so I'll summarise: I'm showing off my current project, thanking those who helped me get this far, and offering my support and advice for anyone who hasn't come quite as far as I have just yet.

Please have a look and criticise (constructively, if you don't mind). If you see a feature I've created that you're not sure how to implement yourself, feel free to ask about it. I will not provide my original source, but I will give you the concepts and snippets you'll need to figure it for yourself (which is half the fun, and the whole point of learning a language for yourself).

Forgive the game's shonky website; it's a ten minute job in Dreamweaver, made with the intend to be expanded upon if I get any sort of following for the game
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 04:14
Agent, I would like to introduce you to another Board : Work In Progress j/k.

Other than that your game looks quite nice and I think that this will be a good game if you finish it. Good luck

Thanks to Ilya for the Logo!
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2004 05:23
Heh yes, it would of course happen that I located that board immediately after posting in this one... Mods please feel free to move it
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:50
but 2d is too easy. you should go 3d!

"eureka" - Archimedes
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 17:51
3D is usually better, but not always. I know it's easier to do 2D, but this is the first project I've ever made in DB so even though its a very complex game I wanted to start with something 'simple' in terms of programming. This game is very complex mathematically and I can't quite get my head around 3D mathematics yet (vectors and all). So until I learn them properly I'll stick to 2D

Besides, this game will work just as well in 2D as it would in 3D, due to its very nature.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 18:23
good points. AOE2 is my favorite rts. I was excited about age of mythology, but after playing it, i was disappointed. the 3d aspect of it didn't really work out too well i think. But then WC3 was 3d and i loved that. So i guess it depends how you use it. I considered making my rts 2d, but then thought i should make it 3d cause its harder. sometimes i wanna kick myself.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 05:37
Lol at first I tried making the game in 3D, and I successfully imported a CSM map and got the camera scrolling working, then I placed a soldier model in the map, but faceplanted when I tried to write code to select him regardless of camera position and angle. I know this is done using vectors, but as I said above I can't get my head around the damn things.

So, I bailed and went 2D. Still very hard, but no venomous vectors

Once I've completed one entire game in 2D I think I will tackle something simple in 3D that uses Vectors, so I can master my weakness. Then, you will all bow before my programming power.

Or something
Lucid
Years of Service
User Offline
Well me and my friends are making a text game. Once it's done we will bring it to 2D. After that 3D. Ultimate goal is VR

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
-Albert Einstein

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 01:14:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 01:14:40