Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Linux Distro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:40
For teh linux people read this, My friend has dial up, , So I must post for him, becuase he is extremly impatient.

He wants to know of any linux distros that would work with his Intel 486, with a hard drive that supports... *drum roll*

1.5gb

Processer....... 200mhz Intel 486
RAM............. 16mb
Video Card...... He doesn't know.... Not that the video card would matter much....

He wants a graphical interface by the way.
Oh... and he told me to tell you he has Windows 95 for some reason... on the 486....

Any distros?

( )

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:43
if your friend is impatient, he's in for a treat when he goes to learn linux

Tell him to look for one himself

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=linux+distro

PHLAK is probably his best bet...
http://www.phlak.org/

small and fast

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:45
Hmm... Possibly an older version of Debian or Mandrake?

Or if he wants to boot off a CD, try MEPIS or Knoppix. If you want a very small distro that is still packed with features, try DamnSmallLinux or Peanut Linux.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:46 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 06:46
Almost all of them will.

DamnSmallLinux however is one of my favourite Distro's right now because the programmers of it are on hand to talk to, sort out problems and updates.

On the point of Linux though, Jerico did you receive that Novell package quickly?
I ordered it and the site had 'your product should arrive within 2 weeks', but it's been like a month now and still no package!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:48 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 06:48
I got it a couple weeks ago..

haven't been able to use it, however, because it requires a dvd drive, which only my laptop has. Which, coincidentally works crap with linux because of a screwed up aspi table...and because, it's a laptop with pretty much 0 bios configurability.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 06:50
Virtually any distro will run fine on that system, as long as you make sure that any unnecessary packages are not installed.

Ie when running the installer, install the Linux Kernel, the basic services and the minimum essentials for X and KDE. When you get the sys. up and running you can install extras as you wish.

It is possible to run Linux with a graphical UI (not KDE though) on a 33Mhz / 8MB RAM Psion 5 palmtop. Its very scalable as system.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 07:01
Old version of slackware?

Not sure I would bother with a gui on hardware that old and slow.

it's cool to hate
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 07:59
I'd recommend an old version of RedHat (we use 7.3 it on our old servers at work) or Minix (not Linux, I know...) but you can find it for free online and is practically guaranteed to work on old Intel machines. Only downside is that I don't think you can do GUI's well on it and it doesn't support newer stuff. Anyways, here's the link for Minix if you're interested: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html. Finding old versions of RedHat can be done but is sometimes hard, 7.3 and above are recommended. Also, Slackware is good with minimal hardware but requires a bit more tweaking sometimes (which if he doesn't know Linux will be a pain). Also, DamnSmallLinux and Knoppix should also work well.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 08:03
DamnSmallLinux rules, i have it on a really old laptop

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "he is extremly impatient"

Then he should get a new computer and internet connection.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 15:22
[href]www.distrowatch.com[/href]

100 of the best to choose from

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 15:55
I tell him he should get internet, and a new computer everytime I see him, but his parent say different.

I think he's goin with DSL (Damn Small Linux) or maybe even slackware.
He's leaning farther toward DSL for space conversation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:57
im not sure that DSL can take 56K fine (im sure it will) but i know it works with ADSL

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 22:28
A 486 and only 1.5GB of HDD space to play with? You don't want to be installing any of the "heavy weight" desktop environments; I wouldn't bother with Gnome or KDE. I reckon your best bet might be XFCE. I think it's the lightest/fastest environment you could get whilst still being featureful.

I think the taxis are bulletproof
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 23:22
a few super small linux distros are at bootdisk.com (like 2 floppies wiht x-windows) um besides that i know it said in a book tha linux 7 will run on as low as 4mb of ram and can even be put onto one floppy i hav enever tested this my self and am not for sure if they meant with a gui

http://free-space.myftp.org for free ftp
website hosting and e-mail 60mb for ftp/webste 70mb for e-mail

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:04