Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Registery question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 18:10
My old computer had Shopos Anti-Virus 95 installed on it some time ago - it was old even then. In a mass cleaning spree (someone, not sure who) deleted the Shopos directory from Program Folders which of course didn't uninstall it properly. Since then (im talking years) we've had a message appear at start up saying that the Registary or System.ini points to a Shopos file but can't find it. It's not a problem just annoying as you can't leave the computer to boot up by it's self as you must press the nearest 'any key'.

Now I've checked through the system.ini file and theres no mention of any of this, therefore it must be the registary. I fired up regedit and had a look through there are Shopos directories there.

My question is, can I delete this entire directory without causing any other damage to my (old) computer?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:17
Trying searching for "Sophos", instead of "Shopos". You may have more success!

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:41
Sorry if I mis-understood what you said about looking in the registry, but check out these 2 keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:43 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 19:45
edit

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:46
It's usually safe to delete registry entries of third party programs (not microsoft), but I recommend that you only delete the entries that refer directly to the missing file.

When playing with the registry BACKUP your registry database file and make a system RESTORE point!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 22:19
arent there any free programs that do registry checks for orphaned keys etc? have a look around.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 02:27
Quote: " arent there any free programs that do registry checks for orphaned keys etc? have a look around."

Spybot Search & Destroy has the option of doing it.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 04:55
nope it wont hurt anything i do it all of the time , also you need to look not ony at the regedit foler of the antivirus but there should be ones that say "(365569285344esuitkf)" random numbers and letters like that look through those too

Osirus

anyone can be a hero, but a soldier can be a hero five minuets longer....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:29:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:29:31