Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Audio Games - not Video Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 13:53
My son and I were playing Nintendo today, and I told him that I could beat this game with my eyes closed. He told me that nobody could beat a game with their eyes closed ... and it made me think.

What if there was a computer game that you could play, but it just had sound? No video? That would especially cool for blind people!

So, I thought I had a Million Dollar Idea!

. . . Until I searched on the internet and found that the market already exists. And many games like that have been released already.

http://www.audiogames.net

I went to this website and found all sorts of games like this. One of them was "WinSpank", which is more of an adult themed game. A girl says "HI", and she will be either in your left speaker, right speaker, or in both. You have to "spank" her in the direction that her voice comes out with your arrow keys. It's pretty cute.

Anyway, what a novel idea! Imagine making Video Games ... with no video! You could totally describe things, and let the people use their imagination. They could move the character with the mouse through an imaginary world ... not one that is displayed with 3D models or 2D sprites, but one that is described through the sound system.

I like it!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 14:11 Edited at: 26th Sep 2004 14:16
Sounds boring.

Vision is better than hearing.
You can discribe things using text.
I'd rather see things than imagine them.
You won't be able to render a 50000 poly object in your mind.
Visualy playing a game is funner than hearing it.
It'd be too hard to play anything fast-paced and wouldn't be fun.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 14:29 Edited at: 27th Sep 2004 02:35
Quote: " Sounds boring.

Vision is better than hearing.
You can discribe things using text.
I'd rather see things than imagine them.
You won't be able to render a 50000 poly object in your mind.
Visualy playing a game is funner than hearing it.
It'd be too hard to play anything fast-paced and wouldn't be fun."

Who says visually playing a game is better than hearing it? What about blind people? Just because they're blind they don't get interactive entertainment?
I would like to try out some audio games, you could get really creative.

Quote: "You won't be able to render a 50000 poly object in your mind."

You are absolutely correct. You'd be able to render a 99999999999999E0394710409123874091827654890763250134
polygon object in your mind.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 14:30
Would you be saying that if you we're a member of the target audience though?

(the blind)

AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, 512meg HYPER RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, nFinity Version 2
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 14:39
No, I'd love to play it anyway-I'm obsessed with sound. Always need music playing when doing homework, then when I'm done I sit in front the the stereo and listen to the different motifs and such and when they're doing syntehsizers I sit and listen and imagine all the different knobs they twisted on their dashboard, and sometimes I burn it to media player and goof around with it in audacity.

Here's a good audio idea: trying to find sounds inside of sounds, kind of like the guys who do ARGs.

Sony stole our name!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 14:54
Bear Crazy Donut Productions, could you please take a few 9's out of that ridiculously long number, it's stretching the page quite a bit? Thanks.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 16:13
Actually, what i think would be a better idea is combining two senses.

Sound and Motion; Combining Force-FeedBack with Audio Ques would give people the ability to have some quite extraordinary games.

I remember seeing a program about a blind guy who said the cane becomes a 'backup' because your hearing and such get far more accute to make up for the loss/never having sight.
So you can just *sense* your surroundings.

Allowing the controller to slowly jiggle when there are walls near-by and then using audio to position where a person is, you could quite happily make yourself a blind persons FPS.

It would have to be slightly slower paced obviously, but that would actually make it more realistic.

Or say you have a game which combined sound and the rumble to move through different shape hoops, a different sound and rumble ment that you had to do a different combination.

without visuals you free up so much giving yourself far more leaway for more interesting concepts of already available genres.

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 00:48
Quote: "Sounds boring"

A computer game using sounds to guide you through an imaginary world, in the same way that video games use video to guide you through an imaginary world? And that sounds Boring to you??? How so?

Quote: "Vision is better than hearing"

Who can put more value in one human sense over another? Is vision better than taste too? Is vision better than the sense of smell as well? And what if you didn't have vision? If it were up to you, I guess blind people would just be "out of luck. It's too boring..."

Quote: "You can discribe things using text. I'd rather see things than imagine them."

Yes, you can describe things through text, but I would much rather hear somebody read the text to me than to have to read it myself. For some reason, I get bored faster when I have to read, but when somebody reads to me, I stay interested longer.

Quote: "It'd be too hard to play anything fast-paced and wouldn't be fun."

Who says that "Computer Games Must be Fast Paced?" A computer game can be fun without being fast paced. Take solitaire for instance. It's a very fun game, but the pace is as slow as you want it to be. It gives you time to think ... time to use your mind.

Imagine, if you will, early radio shows. Before TV was invented, many radio shows would entertain people for hours using only sound. When people walked down a hall, you would hear footsteps. When they were outside, you would hear wind howling. When people were scared, they were breathing fast.

Now what if you turned that into a computer game? What about a game that had action, mystery, and suspense? And it only used sound?

And I love Raven's idea about using forced feedback. Using the sense of feel is super! What a good combo!

You can use your mind and your imagination for so much more than ... normal video games we have today where all you do is kill people, and shoot people ... and it's fast paced ... and you call that "fun"? In my opinion, the market is getting too caught up in the "same old same old". Most games now adays are all alike! There's no imagination. There's no creativity. And for me, that means there is no "fun".
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 02:37
np Exeat.

Imagine getting a surround sound setup with these types of games. Get a treadmill type thing where you walk and it moves under your feet and sounds change as you walk around, giving you the impression you're inside something, blindfolds would make the experience even better.

Sony stole our name!
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 03:07
Man, I'm really pumped up about this! I think I really want to make an Audio Game!

Here's my idea so far:

You're in a castle. A witch casts a spell on you so that everything you see is wrong ... so you must use your sense of hearing.

In this large castle area, you must find and rescue 5 things. It could be treasures, or 5 princesses that are all calling for help.

As you move through the area, either with your mouse or keyboard, you can hear them get louder as you approach them.

But, there are also 5 traps in the room. Maybe vicious dogs, or lava pits that you can hear as well. As you get closer to them, they get louder.

Avoid them! Rescue the 5 princesses and get them out of there!

I think there is so much untapped potential for this kind of game!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 04:00
i think lava, cos u have to listen real hard

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 04:09
Why not doing a game with a geiger counter ?
You shall find the 5 barrels of Uranium, only hearing the beeps and walking through a nice world.

- Mind the gap -

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:26:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:26:44