Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cpu Fan Speed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just put a new monitor on my comp (from a 17" 1024X768 to a 21" 1600X1200) and of course i jacked up the resolution. Sence then my comp fan sounds like its been running overtime. I don't remember the comp being this loud before. Does any one know how i can check the temp of my processor and how i can change the fan speed to make sure its keeping the processor cool. Do i need a program or is their some thing i can us that is built in with windows (xp)?? And also what is a good temp for a p4 2.6 to run at? Thanks a lot!

http://edizzle.100free.com
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 03:10
it`s all automagical

you can get apps that allow you to play with the fanspeeds and watch the MOBO temperature monitors outputs etc (depending on the motherboard naturaly), just google for mother board monitor or fan speed app or something like that, best left alone IMO, if you reboot and go into the bios you may find a screen that has the onboard monitor readings for different things like voltages, temps, fanspeeds etc, ive had cpus run at 80 for years and still be working when the pc went obsolete, just leave the makers settings in place unless you plan some overclocking.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 07:40 Edited at: 28th Sep 2004 07:40
reboot the system and on startup just press the delete key until the bios comes up and you can see from there

anyone can be a hero, but a soldier can be a hero five minuets longer....
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
if you have the mobo driver disk, there might be a monitor prog on it. most mobos come with a monitor program so you can see fanspeed, temps etc.

some processors don't mind running hot, mine doesn't work well at 70C. it was running that hot cause the rear case fan was broken. oops. now it runs at 52C. much better.

though it seems strange that your CPU fan would be running faster because of a higher resolution.. then again, windows doesn't really use much hardware accelleration, does it? still..

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:48
Windows is just strange full stop. I don`t know where they realy got it coded, but I`m guessing the lead programmer was called Mahatma guru Dos or something and the whole design spec was based on the colour of light in a sacred pool at the base of Gunda mungi mountain, I sometimes get this feeling windoze is trying to take over the PC ,oh! it has is it supposed to do that? .
MS forgot they where writing a operating system, it`s hard to think that all windows should do by rights is control the hardrive access , run programs and list files and folders, it`s grown to be way more than an OS and poor at almost everything it tries to do, including being an OS, I would be much happier if Windows was 2mb, fast, secure and stable, and retailed for £10-£15 a pop, bloat does not make for good programs, just a huge heap of bad ones.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
well what they're trying to to is "gadgetify" the PC. most people are too stupid to use the computer for ANYTHING. most people buy a top-of-the-line computer and only use it for email, and AIM, and typing reports. if that.

so, the more "user friendly" it is, the more people will be interested in the computer. sadly, they seem to have forgotten their customers who don't care about user-friendliness and who want performance.

in 10 years i would not be surprised to see the desktop PC disappear - and be replaced by several other devices (totally uncustomizeable gadgets) made for specific purposes - a multimedia box for doing everything related to music and video, a game box (really just a console), a business / internet box, for all the uninteresting things..

i still love you, judas
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "be replaced by several other devices (totally uncustomizeable gadgets) made for specific purposes - a multimedia box for doing everything related to music and video, a game box (really just a console), a business / internet box, for all the uninteresting things..
"

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 05:12
i doubt that would happen, but hey, that's what linux is for

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:29:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:29:40